PDA

View Full Version : LOAMHEDGE US Cover Released!

Cornflower
May 7th, 2003, 02:53 PM
Yes, as with the Tribes of Redwall: Mice Cover in the La Dita Book Club Form (See the other thread I started), there was also a cover for.......LOAMHEDGE! And here's the moment you've all been waiting for-THE US COVER OF LOAMHEDGE!
http://home.graffiti.net/redwaller/loamhedgeuk1.jpg

Nora the Rover
May 7th, 2003, 07:50 PM
*Begins yelling hysterically!*
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Martin the Warrior
May 8th, 2003, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the scans, Cornflower! Even now, it seems clear that this will be a great cover. I'm struck by the fact that this is really the first time Troy Howell (assuming he's the artist, which is a safe bet) has done a dark-blue to yellow transitional sunset. It gives things an almost regal feel-- can't wait to see the whole thing crystal-clear.

Just by what I can make out of this, though, it appears to be a group of woodlanders gathered around a campfire in the middle of a gorge/valley. For some reason I want to say there's a squirrel sitting next to the fire. Time will tell. Anyone else care to take a guess at what the cover is depicting?

As an aside, shrinking the image makes it clearer, although too small to help identify things. Nevertheless, I did post the smaller version in the news story here (http://forums.longpatrolclub.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=545).

Thanks for the scoop, Cornflower!

VanessaNB
May 8th, 2003, 05:51 PM
That's blurry but cool. I like it better than the American Triss cover. Prettier colors.
There looks like at least two creatures near the fire, and the one on the right seems to be looking up (his head is under the "n" on the NEW sign). Looks like a cliff or a canyon. And there's either a rock or a critter standing on the upper right part, under the "s" in Jacques.
I'm excite-u-lated.

Slagar the Cruel
May 8th, 2003, 06:56 PM
That's awesome! :D I only wish I could see what it was. :( I think they're standing amidst some ruins of Loamhedge poking up from the ground, but... I've honestly not a clue.

Darkhood_343
May 8th, 2003, 07:02 PM
Quite kewl! Glad this is released! I think that's some creatures standing in a gorge or something. Not sure

Red Draco
May 8th, 2003, 10:22 PM
'tis nice. I wonder if Canada will get the UK cover, or if we're sticking with the US covers forever (Triss).

true_redwaller
May 9th, 2003, 07:01 PM
*hops around excitedly* OH, I can't wait ror it to come out!!!!! Even the cover makes it look like a good book.

LadyBeelze
May 9th, 2003, 10:47 PM
Finally the cover, looks like two creatures around a campfire. One seems to be a squirrel :/ ...*really needs to get taggerung and triss before this comes out*

Glenner
May 10th, 2003, 12:00 AM
Coolness.:D

Rillflag27
May 11th, 2003, 03:18 PM
it looks like 4 creatures around a fire, in a gorge. Cornflower, did you get this on a website and was it clear before you scanned it? if so can you e-mail me or post the site?

MoonShadow
May 16th, 2003, 08:29 PM
Cool cover. There's no more to that in that.

Glenner
May 18th, 2003, 05:30 PM
Gah.* is waiting for her Redwall newsletter to come in*

DogWolf
May 20th, 2003, 01:06 AM
Yaaaaahoooooo! I know! I opened my order form from The Redwall Reader's Club and... POW! There it was! Loamhedge! Yaaaaay!

Keyla
June 15th, 2003, 04:59 PM
Two things: firstly cool cover. In regards to those around the fire, there should be five if none have died or anything by that point, Sarabando, Bragoon and the rebelious youths we've learnt of in the newest info. I could speculate about whether they are in a gourge or in front of the ruins themselves, but it might just be that the artist used a little artistic license when told to do a rugged landscape. What now catches my eye is head like object to the top right below the "s" of "Jacques". Perhaps it's either the badger or the bell from Mattimeo, but who knows. But I bet the British cover will be even better.:p Even if we do get it half a year later.
Secondly: has anyone else not yet got their mailing from the Readers Club. This happened once before where I found out that I was not being mailed any more as the money I had paid had run out, and I hadn't been told. But redwall.org is saying that they've got a bit of illness over at the office, so it may be just that.

Glenner
July 2nd, 2003, 04:53 PM
Argh, barnes and noble.com has the cover art up, but its small:
http://a1055.g.akamai.net/f/1055/1401/5h/images.barnesandnoble.com/images/6690000/6695444.gif

I can make out an otter.

VanessaNB
July 2nd, 2003, 06:55 PM
Purty-ness, me likes. Me like enough me no kill.
Me no good at cave-talk, me shut up now.

But really, that extreme coolness.

Madd The Sane
July 2nd, 2003, 09:40 PM
Are you sure you couldn't find a better picture? :( The otter is all I can make out to, but I think there's a squirrel. The otter might be skipper! :lol: :D

Glenner
July 3rd, 2003, 05:57 PM
No I couldn't It wasnt one of tose things where you can click on it and make it bigger. I tried looking for a bigger version at other places but couldnt find one.:(

The blue / yellow looks purdy though.:D

Keyla
July 4th, 2003, 05:52 AM
I'm quite worried. People got the poster with the first image over a month ago. I know they've had a little trouble with illness over at the office, but am I the only one who has not received the latest mailing?

Glenner
July 4th, 2003, 02:39 PM
You're not the only one, Keyla. I have yet to recieve my readers club package as well.
I checked on the official site and this is what it said about it:

Due to illness going around at the Redwall Abbey Co. Ltd. office, please be patient with some delays in the shipping of items. Sorry for any inconvenience.

So we're just gonna have to wait a little longer.

Martin the Warrior
July 4th, 2003, 07:39 PM
Thanks for letting us know about the B&N scan, Glenner!

Hmm.... that's definitely an otter and quite possibly a squirrel across from him, which falls in line with Keyla's theory that they're Sarobando and Bragoon. Interesting. I'd expect a full-size scan to show up before the end of the month.

Keyla
July 5th, 2003, 05:33 AM
But if it is them and they are the two proper warriors, what about the three would-bes who are meant to be with them as I personally can't see them in either image, but this is probably just me not being able to make anything out?

Glenner
July 29th, 2003, 05:25 PM
http://ebay1.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_ca9fb642a00b112235fc6d70dd552b8b/i-1.JPG
Got this from ebay, someones apparently selling it.
Hmm..this scan has better colors making it a bit clearer, but it still isn't a big scan of it. Argh...when is someone going to put up a larger scan of it?

Darkhood_343
July 29th, 2003, 05:32 PM
Wow... kewl... I think I'll go look for a bigger cover image, though. Doubt I'll find one.

Madd The Sane
July 29th, 2003, 05:35 PM
I just realized where they are…

Between the Badger and the Bell!

well… Duh! They would encountor the Badger and the Bell; it's on the way to Loamhedge.

If anyone hasn't read Matttimeo, then you will not know what I'm talking about.

Glenner
July 29th, 2003, 05:52 PM
I THOUGHT that ridge looked like a bell! Well spotted Madd.:)

Martin the Warrior
July 31st, 2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Madd The Sane
I just realized where they are…

Between the Badger and the Bell!

well… Duh! They would encountor the Badger and the Bell; it's on the way to Loamhedge.

If anyone hasn't read Matttimeo, then you will not know what I'm talking about.

Great eye, Madd! Don't know how I missed that.

Madd The Sane
August 1st, 2003, 10:32 AM
Maybe they will use the clues that are in Mattimeo and meet the longtail horde:D . I did see another creature, and it was behind the fire. As to what the creature is; Your guess is as good as mine.

Martin the Warrior
August 1st, 2003, 05:51 PM
Howdy, folks-- just thought you'd all like to know I just finished posting a large, very clear scan of the cover art for Loamhedge. The Newsline story in question can be found at: http://forums.longpatrolclub.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=744

As you'll no doubt see in the scan, those very clearly are the badger and the bell (again, great eye, Madd) and the badger looks stunning.

With regards to the creatures around the campfire, as near as I can tell we have an otter on the right (with a sword slung across his back, most likely Martin's), a hare behind the fire, a squirrel to the left, and a small mouse right next to him. No other creatures appear to be present.

Finally, I can now confirm that the art is by Troy Howell, illustrations are by David Elliot, and the page count is 432 pages.

Enjoy speculating!

Madd The Sane
August 1st, 2003, 06:17 PM
hmm… does that mean that another otter is the Redwall champion? :confused: Where is the mole? My guess is the last mistevios creture is a mole. I doubt that the hare is Martha(?).

Airemia
August 1st, 2003, 11:10 PM
Haha! I saw it on the Newsline, and I clicked it, and I was like, "Duuude... It's a badger! And a bell!" and then I was like, "Hey! The badger and the bell! Ooooh hooo, I'm so smart!" :p

VanessaNB
August 3rd, 2003, 06:58 PM
That's pretty...how many times've I said that?
432 pages, is that longer than Triss? I'm too lazy to check, but I also like long books.

*lazes*

Gabool the Wild
August 12th, 2003, 08:21 PM
Does anybody else think it's somewhat odd that no publication date has been released, and yet it is very close to September? Or maybe it has and I am just unaware of it :p

As for the cover, I like it. Somehow the lighting and the formation of the rocks make it very interesting. And the colors in the title and Author are nice as well. As for the rock thing in the upper right corner, it looks to me like it is either the badger or the bell.

I'm excited for this book. It sounds like it has a very interesting and different plot to it. Really looking forward to it.:)

Martin the Warrior
August 13th, 2003, 12:53 AM
The release date of Loamhedge is September 29th. I've actually known that for awhile now-- for some reason I never got it up on the Releases page. I'll have to get that done over the next few days. ;)

Keyla
August 13th, 2003, 08:52 AM
the page count is 432 pages

I will be very pleased if this is the length as it means more book and possibly a more developed story. However, if I am understanding correctly this is only the page count for the Advance Copy it isn't necessarily a clear indication of the final book length. I remember last year being e-mailed by someone in responce to predictions regarding "Triss" who said it was about 370 from their Advance Copy but the actual book was just over 400. The year before the official site said that 400 pages would be the length of "(The) Taggerung" when it ended up being about 30 longer. If this trend continues it would mean a total of about 460, but numerical trends don't always work, so who knows?

I doubt that the hare is Martha
I agree Madd. I would guess it's one of the young tear-aways.

VanessaNB
August 13th, 2003, 05:19 PM
Why wouldn't the hare be Martha? He/she/it? appears to be sitting, and that's what paralyzed people tend to do (no insult intended).
Who else thinks Martha is spiffy name?

Keyla
August 13th, 2003, 05:28 PM
Who else thinks Martha is spiffy name?
I do. I like biblical names in Redwall (Matthias, Mortimer, etc.)

Why wouldn't the hare be Martha? He/she/it? appears to be sitting, and that's what paralyzed people tend to do (no insult intended).
Of course it's not impossible, but it might seem a bit cumbersome wheeling in her wheelchair up cliffs, across gorges, etc. I guess it's gut feeling more than anything else but I can see her more leading the abbeybeasts against the attacking vermin.

Martin the Warrior
August 14th, 2003, 04:16 PM
Keyla
However, if I am understanding correctly this is only the page count for the Advance Copy it isn't necessarily a clear indication of the final book length.

Actually, the page count for the Advance Copy is 424 pages. The 432 page-count comes from the stat-page included within the ARC containing all the publishing information such as the ISBN, release date, price, and page count.

Now, it's worth mentioning that the stat page for The Angel's Command cited the book as being 384 pages, while the ARC itself was only 372. When TAC was finally released, it wound up being 374 pages long. So, even the stat page isn't infallible-- but TAC's advance copy was from six months prior to the book's release and contained only five illustrations, whereas Loamhedge is less than two months away and contains all illustrations. I'd say the book's final count will be in the 420-440 page range.

It's also worth mentioning that the page count you were cited for Triss most likely came from an ARC of the American edition (as I didn't see any UK ARCs floating around) and wouldn't necessarily apply to the British edition (which I assume is what you have). Since I own both editions of the book, I pulled them off the shelf to do a quick page-check. The US page count of Triss was 389 pages, differing from the UK's page count 402. Just an extra something to consider.

But, I'd stand by the 420-440 ranged prediction.

Gabool the Wild
August 14th, 2003, 07:35 PM
Yah, after I posted I went to Amazon.com and saw that the publication date is September 29th-the day before my birthday.

As for the hare, it could or could not be Martha. I think it could be Martha because if you look over her right shoulder, you can see something sticking up- possibly the top of a wheelchair. I think it could not be Martha, becasue if you look between the hare's legs, it looks like it is sitting on a stone, not a wheelchair.

And I don't suppose anybody's seen the British cover for Lomehedge have they?

Keyla
August 15th, 2003, 05:19 AM
Gabool, we most likely won't see it for quite a while yet, due to the delay in the British release.:mad:

Martin the Warrior
August 17th, 2003, 12:25 AM
Given the delay, I'd expect the British cover to surface around December or January. I'm very anxious to see what David Wyatt gives us this time, though. I think he'd do a great job making use of dark greens or blues.