PDA

View Full Version : Redwall DVDs - Seasons 1-3

Folrig Streampaw
November 24th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Were these ever released as Region 2s? So I can get them to play where I live (Ireland).

At reasonable prices?

Martin the Warrior
November 24th, 2007, 09:39 AM
The season sets weren't released in Region 2, no. I believe FUNimation's distribution deal with Nelvana only covered the United States (and thus Region 1). Mattimeo did get released across three individual DVDs... but that's pretty much it in the U.K. (save for the Movie).

Depending on the options offered, though, it's possible you might be able to get an R2 season set through this deal (http://forums.longpatrolclub.com/showthread.php?t=5312) once it's up and running (providing they offer R2 DVDs-on-demand).

redwallfan91
November 24th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Would they play on your computer? *shrugs* I think so. P'raps if there's no other choice you can buy the region 1 and just use it for your computer, assuming you have a DVD player on the comp.

Folgrimeo
November 24th, 2007, 12:04 PM
I never understood why we had different region codes, and I believe DVD players are becoming more and more compliant with restrictions imposed on DVDs (so that for example you can't take snapshots of a DVD anymore). So if you were to play a DVD on your computer, you might need a region-free DVD player.

redwallfan91
November 24th, 2007, 01:50 PM
My uncle is in the film industry, I asked him about something like this. He said that it's pretty easy for almost all DVD players to be set region free. There is a code you have to type in, the companies even provide them most of the time, but only on their website. It's all marketing, they don't want people to be able to play the DVDs everywhere—doesn't make much sense to the commoner like you and me. From what I understand it's not 100% legal, but the companies give out the codes to set the DVD players region free.

Martin the Warrior
November 24th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Region codes exist to preserve the viability of foreign markets to filmmakers/rights holders.

The most common example of this is that a movie can be released on DVD in the U.S. (Region 1) before it's even released in theaters in Europe (Region 2). Because Europeans with Region 2 DVD players can't play the American R1 release, they'll still be enticed to go see the movie on the big screen and the studio can still make some money off of it (followed up by an R2 DVD release, too).

Alternatively, studios can also make a lot of money selling the rights to foreign distributors-- look no further than the anime industry. Japanese studios like Toei and Sunrise are making money because American retailers like FUNimation and ADV are willing to pay for the rights to release their products in the U.S. Region codes become a way of ensuring that the market still exists by limiting the effects of importation.

DVD players can be made Region-Free, like redwallfan says-- same for computers-- but doing so guarantees voiding the warranty (if that's a concern) and can, in some cases, mess with the player itself.

More on Region codes. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code)