PDA

View Full Version : Happy Victoria Day!

Airemia
May 19th, 2003, 12:17 PM
Yes! A day off school! :D

So, who did fireworks last night? We had this big gathering in the park to shoot them off. The sparks kept falling on us though. I had to dodge them a few times. This one kid got hit on the head with one. And then they were trying to catch them, and they got yelled at. :rolleyes: :p Anyone else celebrate last night?

dandin1
May 19th, 2003, 12:29 PM
I didn't do fireworks... Well, I didn't have too, I watched the neighbour's (sp?) fireworks!
I don't celebrate much on victoria day. Me and my familly went downtown, but that was just coincidential.

Airemia
May 19th, 2003, 12:38 PM
Yeah, I'm not doing anything today. Just being lazy. No one does fireworks today, because they all have to work or go to school in the morning. Some people did them on Saturday, but you're technically not supposed to.

I can't wait for the REAL fireworks at the end of June! AHH! Those are awesome! I go down to the river for the Freedom Festival, go on all the rides, try to convince my friends to not waste all their money on the games... Then I go up to the roof of my dad's building, where they've got food and drinks and stuff. The fireworks are for both Canada Day and Independence Day, for Windsor and Detroit, so they do them on one day in June. They set them off on boats in the river. It's great.

Dandin, you live in Ottawa, eh? Do you ever go to the fireworks at Parliament for Canada Day?

VanessaNB
May 19th, 2003, 03:47 PM
I don't think it's even her birthday, according to my heritage teacher. But it's a day off, who's t'complain? Thank you, Queen Victoria!
I like watching fireworks. I can watch them from the roof this year, because my old window didn't allow for such things. I can remove the screen from this one. Last year a firework exploded on the ground, and made a pretty flash, and lots of people started yelling, but no one was hurt...and I laughed 'cause I was watching from the yard. It looked like a bomb.

Glenner
May 19th, 2003, 05:55 PM
Hmm, Canadian Holiday?

Airemia
May 19th, 2003, 06:31 PM
Hmm, Canadian Holiday?

Yep. It's supposed to be honouring Queen Victoria's birthday, but it's really just an excuse to set off fireworks and get a day off work/school. ;)

Darkhood_343
May 19th, 2003, 06:39 PM
Can you say Canadian thread? I can. Ijust did, in fact. What is the significance of Victoria Day?

Airemia
May 19th, 2003, 07:19 PM
Darkhood, see my post above yours.

Darkhood_343
May 19th, 2003, 07:36 PM
Ah, okay. I feel stupid in the millionth degree.

LadyBeelze
May 19th, 2003, 08:15 PM
..I live in the usa so i don't celebrate this but i'll say it anyway. Happy Victoria Day For You Canadians :)

Glenner
May 19th, 2003, 08:38 PM
Must be kind of a big holiday, sort of like our fourth of july?

Rillflag27
May 20th, 2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Glenner
Must be kind of a big holiday, sort of like our fourth of july?

Thats what I was thinking :cool: . I live in the USA so for whoever is canadian, Happy Victoria Day yesterday.

Airemia
May 20th, 2003, 11:08 AM
Nope, it's not a big holiday like fourth of July. It's just a long weekend and an excuse to get a day off work and light off fireworks.

The fourth of July equivilent here is July 1st - Canada Day.

Grath87
May 20th, 2003, 01:04 PM
Ah yes, I relaxing day off school.

We don't do anything for it here. I just slept until 11 yay!

~Kathryn