PDA

View Full Version : Scrabble

LordTBT
March 2nd, 2008, 12:48 AM
For many years, Scrabble has been one of my all-time favorite games. I own a very nice edition of the game where the tiles actually lock into place and the board rotates.

I've played fancy computer editions of the game before, however it wasn't always as fun as playing other people because the computer literally has a dictionary and calculator for a brain.

For those who use Facebook, there is an application called Scrabulous. I recently added this application, and I have entirely way too much fun with it. Basically, it lets you challenge other people with the application to games of Scrabble, and the best thing about Scrabble on the computer is that it calculates all the points for you.

As I know there are other word enthusiasts here, does anyone else like Scrabble too?

Folgrimeo
March 2nd, 2008, 01:04 AM
I like Scrabble. I'm not aware of many of the two-letter combinations and I don't think about letter distribution when considering strategy, but I do intentionally look for word opportunities that will net me tile bonuses. It takes longer to think of a good word as a result, but it keeps me ahead in the game. The other reason I like Scrabble is that I feel like skill is involved. In a game like Sorry or Monopoly meanwhile, it seems more like whatever the cards/dice deal you will have a big effect on how you finish the game.

The best Scrabble score I ever got broke 200 points. But according to the Scrabble instructions, that's not close to the amount of points a "good" player could receive.

Badrang3
March 2nd, 2008, 01:04 AM
I like Scrabble, but apparently you have to use real words, and thus my winning record is not impressive.

LordTBT
March 2nd, 2008, 01:27 AM
I like Scrabble. I'm not aware of many of the two-letter combinations and I don't think about letter distribution when considering strategy, but I do intentionally look for word opportunities that will net me tile bonuses

I play from a very strategical standpoint. All of the triple-word scores are mine, and if I can't have them I will block them from you ;) I generally force the player to open up the triple-words to me. I imagine it must be incredibly frustrating for the other person each time.

I've noticed that it's much better to be an Italian-speaker when playing Scrabble, because "sghignazzassimo" is a word, and that is a gigantic score.

Ferahgo the Assassin
March 2nd, 2008, 02:28 AM
Scrabble is my second-favorite board game after chess. I used to have a program that allowed me to play other people online, though I'd usually just use it to play with my friends. I'll have to look into the Facebook application, it sounds neat.

As a random aside, my Xbox Live gamertag is a result of a weird combination of Scrabble words from a game once. Every once in a while I'll have someone I'm playing with on Live ask me what the name means, and it's always slightly embarrassing to have to explain it. :rolleyes:

Abbot Peter
March 2nd, 2008, 07:44 AM
i like scrabble... i play it with my family... i like chess a little but more and i own a nice edition of scrabble and chess... but i like scrabble only if im playing with 4 or more people really

Flinky_rules
March 2nd, 2008, 07:59 AM
:( I've never played Scrabble before, but I've always wanted to. I love words, and I have a fairly high level vocabulary for my age...I bet I'd probably be pretty good at Scrabble.

Tesra
March 2nd, 2008, 11:04 AM
I really love Scrabble. I usually play it with my family, and sometimes with friends. I thought I was pretty good at it, but found somebody who overrun me quite easily ;)

Mad Maudie McBurl
March 2nd, 2008, 12:17 PM
I like scabble but it hard to find anyone to play it with.
My favorite Game Is monopoly.

Lady Constance
March 2nd, 2008, 02:37 PM
I'm sad to say I've never played Scrabble before, but from what i've heard, It sound really fun.

My favorite Game Is monopoly.

Monopoly *shudders* Once it took me two days to finish one game.

Mad Maudie McBurl
March 2nd, 2008, 02:39 PM
I'm sad to say I've never played Scrabble before, but from what i've heard, It sound really fun.
Monopoly *shudders* Once it took me two days to finish one game.

Was that at my house or not.
any way Is there a computer game for scrabble?

Lady Constance
March 2nd, 2008, 02:48 PM

Yes it was.

Yes again. I have it on my computer, but you have to buy Wildcoins to make it work.

Mad Maudie McBurl
March 2nd, 2008, 02:54 PM
I didn't think it took todays. but this is spamming so we can pm each other about it.
anyway I like scrabble. it cool although it hard to find words. when you only have one vowel.

Lady Constance
March 2nd, 2008, 02:57 PM
I didn't think it took todays. but this is spamming so we can pm each other about it.
anyway I like scrabble. it cool although it hard to find words. when you only have one vowel.

Whoops! didn't mean to spam.
Back on topic. sometime I'll try to get Mom and Dad to play scrabble with me. But it does sound like fun.

Mad Maudie McBurl
March 2nd, 2008, 02:59 PM
scrabble is my second favorite game.

LordTBT
March 2nd, 2008, 03:44 PM

As I stated in the first post, many computer and internet variations of the game exist.

Mad Maudie McBurl
March 2nd, 2008, 03:45 PM
As I stated in the first post, many computer and internet variations of the game exist.

Oh yeah sorry I forgot.

Chelki Sureshot
March 3rd, 2008, 09:50 AM
Scrabble is way fun. My mom and I play it all the time. It's a great quiet game that you can play while watching soccer or something, and you learn lots! I'll have to check out the one on facebook. How the heck can you get 200 points for one word? You can only used 7 letters at a time. The most points I've gotten is like 45 or something.

Deepspine
March 3rd, 2008, 12:13 PM
How the heck can you get 200 points for one word? You can only used 7 letters at a time.

Well, if I remember right you get a bonus 50 points or something if you use up all your letters. Then perhaps if you land on a triple word score with a good scoring word or even if you can tack your word onto the end of another one you might be able to get that much.
Basically I think you have to be really, really lucky.

LordTBT
March 3rd, 2008, 02:55 PM
Well, if I remember right you get a bonus 50 points or something if you use up all your letters. Then perhaps if you land on a triple word score with a good scoring word or even if you can tack your word onto the end of another one you might be able to get that much.
Basically I think you have to be really, really lucky.

That is correct. If you use all 7 letters in your rack, that is called a "bingo", and 50 bonus points are tacked onto your score. If you land on a triple word score (or 2), that's even better. My best was a 176-pointer.

Barkstripe
March 4th, 2008, 06:38 PM
i like scrabble... i play it with my family... i like chess a little but more and i own a nice edition of scrabble and chess... but i like scrabble only if im playing with 4 or more people really

That's funny, because unless you have two sets or racks it isn't possible to play with more than 4 people.

That is correct. If you use all 7 letters in your rack, that is called a "bingo", and 50 bonus points are tacked onto your score. If you land on a triple word score (or 2), that's even better. My best was a 176-pointer.

One question Teebs-I was under the impression that that was called "a scrabble." (Googles)

Looks like your correct.

Oh-BTW-Found the record game: http://www.slate.com/id/2152255/

-Also-My family has the same board that swivels and locks the peices in.

LordTBT
March 4th, 2008, 09:23 PM

That's great, I had no idea, and I find the play-by-play fascinating. 2 bingos in a row!

Folgrimeo
March 5th, 2008, 12:54 AM
Looks like the company that owns the rights to Scrabble doesn't like Scrabulous and is threatening to shut it down. (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/02/business/02game.html) Given the possible backlash, and believing there's plenty of other Scrabble games out there, I'm wishing - or hoping - it doesn't get shut down. I just have this feeling that they don't have a strong case for shutting it down.

I guess it would make sense to have an online game of Scrabble against people across the world, that's one thing that normal board games can't do.

LordTBT
March 5th, 2008, 01:32 AM
Looks like the company that owns the rights to Scrabble doesn't like Scrabulous and is threatening to shut it down. (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/02/business/02game.html) Given the possible backlash, and believing there's plenty of other Scrabble games out there, I'm wishing - or hoping - it doesn't get shut down. I just have this feeling that they don't have a strong case for shutting it down.

I guess it would make sense to have an online game of Scrabble against people across the world, that's one thing that normal board games can't do.

I spotted this today too. I think the backlash would be way too strong. There's just nothing the company can do imo, except purchase it and actually brand it "Scrabble" so they can market their products.

Mad Maudie McBurl
March 7th, 2008, 07:21 AM
That's funny, because unless you have two sets or racks it isn't possible to play with more than 4 people.

One question Teebs-I was under the impression that that was called "a scrabble." (Googles)

Looks like your correct.

-Also-My family has the same board that swivels and locks the peices in.

Wow I didn't know the scores could go that high:eek: .
How do you think they did it?

Barkstripe
March 7th, 2008, 11:19 AM
The website shows the actual game board.

Abbot Peter
March 7th, 2008, 01:23 PM

well... my scrabble has 4 available players... like thats the maximum...

Barkstripe
March 7th, 2008, 04:27 PM
well... my scrabble has 4 available players... like thats the maximum...

Sorry-I don't understand what you mean.

Flinky_rules
March 9th, 2008, 07:43 AM
This is what my newspaper has to say on this subject.
The latest bane of offfice productivity is Scrabulous, a virtual knockoff of the Scrabble board game, with more than 700,000 players a day and nearly 3 million registered users. Fans of the game are obsessive. They play againstfriends, co-workers, family members, and strangers, and many have several games going at once. Everyone seems to love the online game - everyone, that is, except the companies that own the rights to Scrabble: Hasbro, which sells it in North America, and Mattel, which markets it everywhere else. In January, they denounced Scrabulous as piracy and threatened legal action against its creators, two brothers in Calcutta named Rajat and Jayant Agarwalla. Both companies said they were hoping for an amicable solution that would not force them to shut down the game.
So that's what the Springfield Republican has to say, although there's more to the article, but that bit was really the most important.
(the article waas written by Heather Timmons)

jack bouer
March 9th, 2008, 09:02 PM
i like scrabble but i like speed scrabble better

its just like scrabble but without the board. you first put all the pieces fase down. then you take seven pieces facedown. when everyone is ready you flip the tiles and start spelling words. when some one uses up all there tiles that person says draw and everyone draws a new tile till they are all gone. everyone counts there points and substracts the points on there extra tiles. the person who said draw counts his or her points and the points on everyone else's extra tiles whoever has the most points wins.

its tons of fun try it out.

Barkstripe
March 10th, 2008, 10:13 AM
i like scrabble but i like speed scrabble better

its just like scrabble but without the board. you first put all the pieces fase down. then you take seven pieces facedown. when everyone is ready you flip the tiles and start spelling words. when some one uses up all there tiles that person says draw and everyone draws a new tile till they are all gone. everyone counts there points and substracts the points on there extra tiles. the person who said draw counts his or her points and the points on everyone else's extra tiles whoever has the most points wins.

its tons of fun try it out.

I've played it, but it was called pick-up two.

Prob. Just a canadian thing.

Chelki Sureshot
March 10th, 2008, 12:28 PM
I've never heard of that one.

They have Scrabble on iTunes games now! Maybe I'll buy it so I won't die of boredom on the trip down to CO.

jack bouer
March 10th, 2008, 05:52 PM
My family plays it all the time. we got it from some friends, i don't know if they made that name up or not?