PDA

View Full Version : Surprising Doomwyte Details

Ferahgo the Assassin
April 1st, 2008, 11:52 AM
In a recent interview conducted by the Liverpool Echo (http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/), Brian Jacques has revealed a surprising element to his newest book in the series, Doomwyte, set to be released in fall of this year.

"Combating stereotypes has always been important to me," Jacques told the Echo on Monday. "I realise this is unusual for my writing, but in this modern day and age I want my readers to come away with the impression that anybeast can make a difference - no matter how small, or how different they may be."

He is referring, of course, to an element never before touched upon in the Redwall novels: the sexual orientation of a character.

"I obviously would not make the referenes to Bisky's homosexuality unnecessarily overt," he elaborated. "But I think an observant reader will be able to spot the fact that the young mouse's relationship with his best friend, a male Redwall mouse named Tomble, is a little bit closer than mere friendship." He also stated that very minor things about the young hero's mannerisms and appearance - such as his preference for a purple habit - will contribute in "subtle, insignificant ways" to the character's orientation.

"If Rowling can do it," Jacques stated to the Echo, a rebellious glint in his eye, "There's no reason I can't do the same."

Source (http://bp0.blogger.com/_3VaiHrhIPq4/RxnxCMmRbHI/AAAAAAAAAT8/sObv0-9EU4A/s1600-h/gay+dumbledore+beard.jpg) (c) 2008 the Liverpool Echo

So, what do you guys think of this? :eek: Personally, I think it's fairly disturbing and I'm kind of flabbergasted about it. The statement about Rowling is particularly awful. I hate to think of her having THIS much influence over the children's fantasy genre!

I, honestly, am blown away. Is that what Redwall has come to? :(

Folgrimeo
April 1st, 2008, 12:37 PM
Although I caught what was going on, in all honesty that sort of thing might improve the series since it is something new. I understand it's a children's series (well, we prefer "young adult"), but come on, nearly 20 books already, perhaps there should be a split where children can read the first 20 books, and the rest can go into unexplored territory. It pretty much has to do something new to get my interest these days.
Cool source by the way.

redwallfan91
April 1st, 2008, 12:43 PM
I...frankly...what can I say? I feel sick. Literally. My heart is sinking to the pit of my stomach. Why? I just want to ask—why? What is going on? Please, Brian—please, no! What is the point? This is children's literature. What Rowling did was not something to put in your own book. What if someone does something that is wrong in a book, and another author says, "If he can do that, so can I!"

I love Redwall. How can this be happening? I think I'm going to have to lie down. I would rather have another book that is "just like all the others" than this. This is just sickening. No matter my views on the subject—it has no place in a children's series, much less one about animals! It doesn't even make sense.

Folrig Streampaw
April 1st, 2008, 01:11 PM
Oh.

Er, interesting direction to be heading off in here Brian. Yes, new territory, but nobody expected this!

Won't impact on my feelings about the book then.

I'm a bit worried though.

Goddess of Darkness
April 1st, 2008, 01:48 PM
I...frankly...what can I say? I feel sick. Literally. My heart is sinking to the pit of my stomach. Why? I just want to ask—why? What is going on? Please, Brian—please, no! What is the point? This is children's literature. What Rowling did was not something to put in your own book. What if someone does something that is wrong in a book, and another author says, "If he can do that, so can I!"

I love Redwall. How can this be happening? I think I'm going to have to lie down. I would rather have another book that is "just like all the others" than this. This is just sickening. No matter my views on the subject—it has no place in a children's series, much less one about animals! It doesn't even make sense.
...I'm sorry, I don't understand. The Rowling comment bothered me, yes, but...there's been romance in Redwall before. o_O

((Yes, Ferahgo...and I'm a giant green herring. ;D))

Safronia_Cedarwood
April 1st, 2008, 02:04 PM
Wow. Certainly a, uh, different turn of events than I expected.

BJ, you don't need to go that far to make the characters more humanlike than they're supposed to be. (Not that everyone's homosexual, it's that I don't really think animals act that way.) I hope Brian doesn't elaborate on it. Yiff is a fairly disgusting topic to me, and romance (more specifically, IT) doesn't apply to animals more than a reproduction factor because only humans and selective apes do IT for fun.

So please, keep it so young kids can read it and not get a wrong idea!

Chelki Sureshot
April 1st, 2008, 02:27 PM
My jaw literally dropped when I read that. Not even kidding. I don't know what to say.

Ember Nickel
April 1st, 2008, 02:53 PM
Hmm. I suppose I'm disappointed at what seems to be a fairly blatant imitation of Rowling.

Mad Maudie McBurl
April 1st, 2008, 03:44 PM
Great Belin:eek: , I mean my mom will never let me read it if there is someone homosexual in it. He can't put that in a book. Oh what distressing news:( What will I tell mom. *starts to cry* Litrally I want to cry Why would he put that in a book. For one even young adults shouldn't read stuff like that. I mean if he says other authors put it in it doesn't mean he should put it in a childrens book. I mean kids that are eight and up read them some have it read to them. and they are under eight. What will we do. I mean some people can't read stuff like that. I know I won't be able to read it if it has that in it. What is this world coming to.

Josiah the Warrior
April 1st, 2008, 03:59 PM
It's one thing to put a gay character in your book because you want to, but it's totally classless and moronic to do it as a Rowling-esque publicity stunt. Add a gay character because it fits the story and you want them in there, not because Rowling didi it.

redwallfan91
April 1st, 2008, 04:01 PM
Ferahgo,

My sincerest compliments. What a wonderful job. I was fooled. 100%

Now, do I mean what I say? I sure hope my gut reaction is right and that Ferahgo has been working on this a long time to get it so perfect—because it was an amazing job. What hope do I have that Ferahgo's statement was a joke? Look at the date, friends. I was nearly fooled by Josiah the Warrior, I believe it was he, last year. It would seem that nearly every year, on 1 April, there is at least one hoax thread. I'm hoping this is it.

As I have searched rather extensively to find this "interview" with Jacques, and since the site he linked to has nothing at all, I must assume that he merely has an incredible talent and either came up with this on the spur of the moment, or had been working on it a wee while beforehand.

Notice, the mouse Bisky is not wearing a purple habit, nor do I believe there is such a thing in Redwall. Also, Tomble—great name by the way—is not to be found with anything Redwall related. I searched numerous times. Neither are things such as "Doomwyte Bisky Tomble" or anything related to homosexuality. I must conclude, therefore, that this is an elaborate hoax and again pay my compliments to its creator.

Was I right, Ferahgo? Or completely off the mark? If not, is there a real link?

Edit: After reading Folgrimeo's post again, I realise what he was speaking of. "I caught what was going on" I assume means that he realised what I realised.

Bladeswift
April 1st, 2008, 04:15 PM
Well, self, what have we learned today?
That I talk to myself a lot?
Besides that.
That some LPers don't pay attention to details like sources or what the date is?
And?
And that some are borderline homophobic?
Good job. Here's a cookie.

Folrig Streampaw
April 1st, 2008, 04:19 PM
Borderline homophobic, yes, I noticed that too, a bit.

Well done Ferahgo.:)

Round of applause.

EDIT: Oh my word. The source!

Mad Maudie McBurl
April 1st, 2008, 04:19 PM
IF this is a trick its a terrible one. but a good one all the same but I think it's going a little to far.

LordTBT
April 1st, 2008, 04:25 PM
I'm surprised no one checks sources or the date to be honest ;)

Folrig Streampaw
April 1st, 2008, 04:29 PM
Knew something had to turn up.

Again, well done.

Dang. It was the heat of the moment.

Badrang3
April 1st, 2008, 04:33 PM
You had me at first, Ferahgo. I liked the shot a Rowling thrown in at the end, since it seems so very true to BJ's character. Hats off to you, sir. :lol:

redwallfan91
April 1st, 2008, 04:38 PM
Problem was, I did check the sources, and I did see that—and I did know what day it was...For some reason, things just didn't connect. Well, I hope you had your day made, Ferahgo, because it sure shocked me. Whether or not I would have a problem with it necessarily, it seemed so unRedwall-istic to have that, so different, that I just felt twisted inside. I'm not a homophobic, but I assume you are referring to others—I was just surprised to see Jacques do that. It was all very in character and professional sounding, and you made us all look like a pack o' fools. Thanks. ;) That line, "with a rebellious glint in his eye" and having realise spelled the real way—how long did it take to come up with it? I've tricked people like that before, but not with something quite so different from what anyone was expecting. If he had blatantly copied Rowling like that, I think I might have lost a few notches of respect for him. Again, great job on the name Tomble. It sounds like it's a Redwall name, and it could very well have fit.

Chelki Sureshot
April 1st, 2008, 04:46 PM
**Cracks up** Ohmigosh that was the best one ever. I think that's the first time I've ever been fooled by something on Apr 1. I stayed home from school today and haven't gone anywhere so I completely forgot and wasn't expecting it. Gosh darn I told myself the other day "watch on on the LP on Apr Fool's Day because someone will post something" and I totally forgot. That is the coolest thing ever. Very well done. I give you 2 kudos.

And of course I don't check the links. Why should I, when the article was right there.

Wow.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Goddess of Darkness
April 1st, 2008, 05:29 PM
...What?! Those reactions were REAL? That's just...sickening.

When I saw the reactions of people to this news, I was surprised that no one was fooled, because nearly everyone was playing along and pretending to be disgustingly homophobic...

Chelki Sureshot
April 1st, 2008, 05:57 PM
What are you talking about? Playing along? No one fooled?:confused:

And people are allowed to have different opinions than yours. It's nothing to freak out about.

Ferahgo the Assassin
April 1st, 2008, 06:11 PM
:lol:

I really thought very few people would have taken this seriously. To say that I'm pleased with the results would be an understatement.

Now, do I mean what I say? I sure hope my gut reaction is right and that Ferahgo has been working on this a long time to get it so perfect—because it was an amazing job.
Honestly, I came up with this idea this morning about 10 minutes before I had to leave for class, but I took my computer with me just in case I had time to post it during the day. I basically worked out the outline of it driving to campus, but I didn't come up with most of the details until I was sitting down to write it. I only had around 45 minutes between classes to get it down, and I was a little worried at how realistic it would sound, so I'm really pleased that you guys thought I did a good job.

Notice, the mouse Bisky is not wearing a purple habit, nor do I believe there is such a thing in Redwall.
That's right. The purple habit joke was a tongue-in-cheek reference to Rowling's assertion that observant readers would have been able to tell that Dumbledore was gay (which I thought was ridiculous) because of minor things like him preferring a purple robe.

Was I right, Ferahgo? Or completely off the mark? If not, is there a real link?
You are, of course, correct. :D Happy April Fool's Day, boys and girls.

I'm surprised no one checks sources or the date to be honest
Indeed, that was what I assumed would be the clincher, the thing that ensured no one would take this seriously. I am really amazed and amused by how many people did not think to check the source for such an amazingly bizarre article.

the_mogget
April 1st, 2008, 06:15 PM
Oh my god. Big Gay Dumbledore is your source, too?!!

Ferahgo the Assassin
April 1st, 2008, 06:17 PM
Oh my god. Big Gay Dumbledore is your source, too?!!
Darn straight (pun intended) he is. Big Gay Dumbledore is my constant source for what's Gay in today's modern society. Sometimes he even calls me on my cell during class to tell me what's Gay Today. I always know it's him because my ring tone for his number is set to the Will & Grace theme.

;)

the_mogget
April 1st, 2008, 06:39 PM
Really? When he calls me, it's the Queer Eye theme. He always makes my day more... flamboyant.

Sagrived Switpaw
April 1st, 2008, 07:44 PM
Looks at calender......right......

LadyBeelze
April 1st, 2008, 08:09 PM
...and I thought I was gullible. :p

I do have to admit that if I hadn't looked at the calendar date, I might of fallen for it. The part about BJ having a rebellious glint in his eyes seemed to be lifted straight from a typical interview with him. :lol:

Goddess of Darkness
April 1st, 2008, 09:09 PM
No, forget it, I need to say this. Different opinions from mine? When someone says that I and people like me are naturally disgusting and should never be portrayed in books for children or young adults because they shouldn't have to be exposed to us, I think I have a bit of a right to be mad. When your opinion is disparaging to a group of people with no control over what makes them sickening to you, it should be challenged. If people had said African American people shouldn't be in children's books, I would've challenged that, too.

chupacabra
April 1st, 2008, 09:16 PM
Why is Brian Jacques doing that? Doesn't he know what a lot of parents are going to think about his books?These are suppose to be children's books not adult books.

Mad Maudie McBurl
April 2nd, 2008, 12:39 AM
Why is Brian Jacques doing that? Doesn't he know what a lot of parents are going to think about his books?These are suppose to be children's books not adult books.

It was an april fool's day joke.

It was a good one it had me fool over a hundered percent.

Tsarmina 07
April 2nd, 2008, 12:49 AM
That was absolutely hilarious, though I wasn't fooled. :D The exerpt Ferhago wrote sounded like it came from an actual article. Good job.

I have to agree with Goddess of Darkness about some people's comments, though. But I guess that was part of the point of the joke, to get those kind of reactions.

Balmafula
April 2nd, 2008, 07:43 AM
XD I knew pretty much as I was into the first paragraph that this was an April Fools Joke, but it was still a really well thought out one... and of course the responses... well, perhaps we can learn something from this.

Safronia_Cedarwood
April 2nd, 2008, 04:33 PM
I totally bought it.

Note to self: check out facts before believing them.

Fuzface
April 2nd, 2008, 04:50 PM
I wish I had seen this earlier. :lol:
Funny. If that were to happen... well, it'd be weird, that's all I can say. I don't think animals have those tendences. And besides, there's no romance at all in the books. It'd be interesting if he did, but as Romance has been mostly left out of the series, this would be an odd way to introduce it. Not to mention Mom would freak. Homophobia runs in my family. I"m trying not to be.

Josiah the Warrior
April 2nd, 2008, 05:55 PM
Wow you got me. Nice job Ferahgo. :o

In all seriousness it would be interesting to see a gay character in Redwall though.

Ferahgo the Assassin
April 2nd, 2008, 07:24 PM
I don't think animals have those tendences.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2004/02/07/MNG3N4RAV41.DTL ;)

I"m trying not to be.
That's good to hear.

Brocktree1
April 2nd, 2008, 08:35 PM
Good Show, Ferahgo, GOOD SHOW! I absolutely loved it! This made April 1st for me; Best joke all day.

Fuzface
April 3rd, 2008, 08:47 AM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2004/02/07/MNG3N4RAV41.DTL ;)

:lol: Weeeeird.

Anyway, I disagree with gay marraige, but just because I disagree with someone, doesn't mean I think any less of them. A person is a person, not matter who they are or what they do.

Lady Constance
April 3rd, 2008, 11:53 AM
That was one creepy April fools joke! I was fooled big time! I feel really stupid about it now.:rolleyes: