PDA

View Full Version : What would you like to see in a new tale?

Keyla
June 7th, 2003, 12:40 PM
The title says it all really.
I would personally like to see a few more mice again. When rereading "Lord Brocktree" I realised that none of the main characters were mice. The same is true for "Triss" now I come to think about it.
I would like to see a little exploration of the east perhaps.
One prequal I would like to see is one for "The Long Patrol". There is a great sense of past history and aftermath in that book and it would be great to explore it. I would like to see some development of Cregga's character before she was taken over by rage. I feel the book should centre around her perhaps.
What do you think?

Nora the Rover
June 7th, 2003, 08:37 PM
I think it would be quite interesting if Brian Jacques decided to write some sort of story concerning an entirely different group of the Redwall world, instead of having the usual protagonist's species being a mouse, squirrel, hedgehog, otter, hare, or badger.
If BJ used a shrew, mole, vole, or perhaps even a story from a vermin's point of view, it would probably make an excellent story. I'd definetely love to see something of the sort.

Olaf The Fierce
June 7th, 2003, 09:21 PM
I'd like to see a prequel to Mossflower, showing Verdagua as leader of Mossflower, construction of Kotir, and what Ginigviere (I think i spelled it wrong) and Tsarmania were like as dibbuns, and what they were like growing up. That would show both creatures personalities alot better.

Also, it would be cool to see a mouse "ghost" who poisons the Redwallers food and night, creates famine, and then an army attacks, cutting off their food supply, by taking over orchards and every other food supply Redwall has.

Tazzin
June 8th, 2003, 01:24 PM
I think it would be interesting to find out what ever happened to Ginivere (spelling?). It would be interesting to see the personalitys of his decendants and if he had anymore contact with Redwall.

I also think that it might be interesting if maybe a "good" characer (eg. a mouse, mole, squirel, etc.) were evil and if an "evil" character (eg. a weasle, stoat, rat, etc.)were good. But maybe that's just me.....

VanessaNB
June 8th, 2003, 06:08 PM
I'd like a book told from a vermin's point of view. He'll have to give them a personality THEN! Bwahaha! Though Sawney Rath was a neat character...

Martin the Warrior
June 8th, 2003, 07:17 PM
There have always been a few Redwall ideas I liked the sound of-- the first is the aforementioned Greeneyes' invasion of Mossflower. Very good material to draw from there and Barkstripe could always use some fleshing out. ;) Brian may be hesitant to show us this, though, as we know that Kotir's rule isn't broken until the events of Mossflower and would thus require he end his book with the villains winning (although a hopeful ending of Martin first entering Mossflower Country would work very well, similar to how Sunflash's arrival at Salamandastron was used both in Mossflower and Outcast of Redwall).

The second isn't so much a plot as it is an idea. I've always wanted to see Brian try his hand at a multi-book arc, either a trilogy or duology. If he would develop a storyline that required two books to tell, odds are we'd have one of the greatest Redwall epics on our hands. Verdauga's invasion of Mossflower would be good fodder for the idea.

Finally, I always wanted to see Brian write a Redwall anthology book full of short stories. It would allow him to focus on the otherwise mundane or cute aspects of Abbey life, such as a story told from a dibbun's point of view (which would wear thin in a full-sized book but work well for a twenty page story), a quick, vermin-less trek out into Mossflower, etc. A true "Tales of Redwall", in a certain sense.

Calantorntain
June 9th, 2003, 09:42 AM
Yea, that book of short stories would be spiffy.

I want a book with Gonff. Yeps. Lots and lots of Gonff... maybe it could have pictures too. A Gonff picture book.

Or a Gonff pop-up book! That would be nice too.

Keyla
June 9th, 2003, 04:13 PM
I thought this regarding book number 17 after "Loamhedge" might interest people. It links to the thread in Terrouge forums:
http://terrouge.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=5&t=1093&

I hope this will post correctly!

Slagar the Cruel
June 9th, 2003, 08:13 PM
The more I think about it, I realize just how wonderful a Redwall short story anthology would be. It could handle more mundane topics, as Martin mentioned, and build upon the characters and places we caught glimpses of in other Tales. Many of the characters shown brielf in Triss deserve to be elaborated on.

As for the topic at the Terrouge forums... I've seen it. As for whether I buy it or not... I'd say, but it'd compromise my agents in the field. ;) J/K.

Martin the Warrior
June 10th, 2003, 07:56 PM
With regards to topic at Terrouge-- I saw it when it was first made. Since then, I've been trying to track down the information's authenticity, but I have absolutely nothing I can tell you guys at this point. Take from that what you will.

Pennybright
June 12th, 2003, 10:50 PM
Those all sound like good ideas. Besides mice, I'd also like to see more moles. There seem to be less of them latley. It is a little bit hard to read the mole speech, but they're good charactors.

In Triss, Abbott Apadamous (didn't spell it right) was a main charactor, and he was a mouse. I thought Malbun was too???

Keyla
June 13th, 2003, 10:36 AM
It depends what you mean by main: you could say they were main characters in a way, in that they have parts in the story, but there are many that are more important, Triss, obviously, Shogg, Welfo, Sagax, Scarum, Kroova, etc, and none of them are mice.

Cheek Stag Otter
January 5th, 2004, 01:51 PM
I love your idea Martin of haveing a book full of short stories, I think that could be quite interesting. With a book like that you can have a few funny stories (could be centered around Dibbuns and/or the Hares), a few scary stories or a few stories about love or a sad event (someones passing?). This is type of book you don't even need to stay within the same time periods so you could have a stories involving Martin, Gonff etc and then one with characters later on in the history of Redwall.

I'd really also like to see one or two books that take place time wise in between Salamandastron and Redwall, this seems like a big gap that seems to need filling.

Also a Hedgehog carrying Martin's Sword would be quite different.

LordTBT
January 5th, 2004, 07:00 PM
"Racatetan" sounds like "Rackety Tam" to me.

And as I said before, I want more Salamandastron of old stories, like Spearlady Gorse and Whomever the Blue etc etc.

Chesk Otter
January 6th, 2004, 05:23 PM
I think that the newer Redwall books just need more big battles. I thought Triss was awesome. Loamhedge was tied with the others, but Taggerung just need a couple really big battles. Anyway, I was going to say that I thought a collection of short stories would be good when I saw Martin posted it. However, I think instead of just stories about daily Abbey life, etc. (which is really what The Great Redwall Feast and A Redwall Winter's Tale are) he should write stories about things people want to know about that couldn't be made into whole books such as (I actually already had this idea too in my mind before I saw it was posted) the story behind Verdauga coming to Mossflower and the failed rebellion against him. Some stories could be one chapter while some of the longer ones would be a couple chapters. Maybe he could even throw in a couple of the more usual daily Abbey life stories.

Delhome
January 11th, 2004, 02:38 PM
My self, I am glad that Brain is moving away from mice as the main characters. Nora, that idea about a story from a Vermin's point of veiw, as long as it stays away from becomeing something like Outcast of Redwall, that was the only Redwall book that I really hate (I dont like storys with sad endings.) But, back to the subject, I think a prequel or sequel to Triss would be awsome, Triss was my very favorite character.

P.S. Sorry to get off the subject, but does anyone know if Martin II had any children? I cant remember.

Chesk Otter
January 12th, 2004, 05:11 PM
Brain? Brain? Who's Brain? :confused: . Are you telling me a giant Brain has impersonated Brian Jacques and is taking over the Redwall series? :eek:

Sorry, I know this was pointless, but I couldn't resist it. :)

Martin the Warrior
January 12th, 2004, 10:31 PM
No, it was never said that Martin the 2nd (technically the 3rd) had children. His successor as Abbey Warrior was Arven.

LordTBT
January 13th, 2004, 11:33 AM
heres a topic for new tales...Martin the first

Keyla
January 13th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Yes, it would give Brian a really free reign. The problem would be that some would say that would not be closely enough linked to the series as a whole. That said, if it were tried in more deeply with other past figures, eg. Spearlady Gorse, it might be more probable.
However, I personally would rather the series goes forward, if you see what I mean as it is now, where Brian has greater freedom. Histories are always good but unfortunately are also quite restrictive. If Brian feels a story there then I am really happy about him exploring it, but simply going back and back in time to please our curiosities limits him and also, as has been said before, I believe, takes some of the "magic" out of it.

LordTBT
January 13th, 2004, 03:09 PM
to each his own. i enjoy the history tales.

Chelki Sureshot
January 15th, 2004, 10:18 PM
Hmm. .. what would I like to see? How about more Basil? That wouldn't really work, though. What I think would be cool is that Mariel and Dandin have a son/daughter, and they're as rebellious as their parents put together. Mariel and Dandin are overprotective, and thus resulting in the child running away. Not unlike Sagaz and Scarum, but it's different seeing two old character's grown up parental responssibilities.

Senav
January 16th, 2004, 05:11 PM
What I think would be cool is that Mariel and Dandin have a son/daughter, and they're as rebellious as their parents put together. Mariel and Dandin are overprotective, and thus resulting in the child running away.

That's a plot device for a lot of Disney sequels. Done right, it's pretty good, but a lot of the time, it's just "eh". I'd rather that Mariel and Dandin are just as rebellious as they always were, resulting in some odd parenting techniques...

Moral of the story: Don't EVER trust me with your kids:D

Keyla
January 18th, 2004, 08:34 AM
I personally find it hard to imagine those two settling down at all, let alone together. It would be interesting though, especially if their child was a secret scholar (sp?) at heart, who went in search of Redwall after the death of his parents and became the first illiterate recorder of the abbey.
Hmm...

Cheek Stag Otter
January 18th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Oh I don't know Keyla, I always thought that Mariel and Dandin would get together sooner or later, but after "The Bellmaker" (a book I'm not really all that keen on) I don't think we need another Mariel/Dandin tale. I think its always better if its left to our imagination what happened to them.

Keyla
January 18th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Yes, I did not think Mariel and Dandin worked so well as central characters in "The Bellmaker". While it was good to see how they now related to eachother there was no real room for the kind of emotional development we saw in "Mariel of Redwall".
Those two do seem like "soul mates" if you will but with strictly platonic love, at least so far as what we see of their characters. In eachother they have what they need in terms of "human" relationships. Within the world of Redwall they have no psycological need to go further from what we have seen of their characters thus far.

chupacabra
April 13th, 2006, 06:39 PM
I wish he would make story with the vermin point of view not land show us that the good creatures are really asgood not prejudiced like they were in the outcast .

Constance2
April 13th, 2006, 08:26 PM
A book between Salamandastron and Redwall is one I would like to see... he can stick whatever he would like in it. But that's the kind of book I would like to see for the next Redwall book.

Swordmaster
April 13th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Chupie, big no no. You woke up a thread that has been dead for two years! You should have let it rot or started a new one.

Chesk Otter
April 15th, 2006, 11:42 AM
I don't think there's anything wrong with restarting zombie threads. I was actually thinking about this topic the other day. I wish Brian Jacques would make his stories more cohesive, and refer more to minor locations and characters in his other books. In High Rhulain I liked the reference to Finbarr Galedeep from The Bellmaker. It makes the books more like a series. I also wish he would start up some major new location or something that would feature in every book. Every book has Redwall Abbey or Salamandastron or The Sword of Martin in it, but those came out of the earliest books. The reason some people think his newest books are less significant is because they don't introduce anything new or really important to the series. So more references to past minor locations and characters would be fun spotting, and some important, regularly-featured things would be nice.

Badrang3
April 15th, 2006, 11:44 AM
I'd like to see more large carnivourous birds in Mossflower, like Argulor and Captain Snow.

Martin Bluestripe
April 15th, 2006, 01:31 PM
I personnly would like to see a fox as the main charoctar and good too...*Is confused*

Bunnies & Rabbits
April 15th, 2006, 01:51 PM
As much as I hated Mattimeoi as a dibbun, i think it would be interesting to hear as him as the warrior of redwall and his son as a dibbun. Who knows what adventures that tale could unlock! It seems he said he became the warrior, then skipped right ahead to his son Martin II being the warrior.

Doesnt anybody think it would be cool to hear from MAttimeo as warrior?

LordTBT
April 15th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Guys, this thread is 3 years old. Let me boldface that. 3 years old. We have a policy here against reviving threads that are older than 6 months. Please read the stickied threads and the FAQs. If you wish to discuss an older topic, just start a new thread.

Chesk Otter
April 16th, 2006, 01:27 PM
(Under "Posting") the FAQ says:

Do not start the same thread in multiple forums. Do not start a new thread for a topic already being discussed. Post in the original thread instead. If a thread has not been active for over six months, though, then you're free to create a new one.

It doesn't actually say that you have to start a new thread. It says you can if you want.