PDA

View Full Version : Book 17 - Rackety Tam

Madd The Sane
June 10th, 2003, 07:13 PM
I know that a few months after taggerung (or something like that) we knew about Triss and Loamhedge. What do you think will be the seventeenth novel (let rumors abound)

Martin the Warrior
June 10th, 2003, 07:46 PM
Actually, we knew about Triss and Loamhedge months prior to the release Taggerung. Brian revealed them during a webcast promoting the (then) new book, Castaways of the Flying Dutchman.

As for book #17-- no comment. :D

LadyBeelze
June 10th, 2003, 07:53 PM
Actually, we knew about Triss and Loamhedge months prior to the release Taggerung

wow

Keyla
June 11th, 2003, 05:27 AM
Sorry to repeat myself as I have posted this on a different thread but it is relevent here:

http://terrouge.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=5&t=1093&

It is basically a discussion from Terrouge forums.

Darkhood_343
June 11th, 2003, 10:55 AM
Meh, he could be telling the truth. Maybe not. We'll have to see.

Keyla
June 11th, 2003, 11:02 AM
Well, if he had written "Loamhedge" prior to the release of "(The) Taggerung" then he is quite possibly planning or even writing #18 right now, though he may be a year behind due to his stroke. With this in mind we should soon get some official information regarding #17, especially if the thread at Terrouge is correct that he is talking about it while on tour.

Madd The Sane
June 11th, 2003, 01:02 PM
Well, if you hear anything, will you tell me. He is not touring to any cities near mine, :( and I don't want to travel far to see him.

Book Seventeen, according to things I've read in the terrouge post, will be exiting in my opinion; A squirrel warrior selling his sword (?mercenary?) ... Who knows about more details other than Brian Jacques himself?

(after reading {skimming?} all of the terrouge forum about the 17th book)

thr....three blades! the main character is going to carry three blades! How insane is that!?

Nora the Rover
June 11th, 2003, 01:27 PM
Racatetan?...and I thought the name Taggerung was weird...
It sounds like a fairly interesting book, a warrior mercenary squirrel from the Northlands and whatnot...

Keyla
June 11th, 2003, 04:25 PM
The one thing I'm not sure of is what is meant by "sells his sword", though taking it literally would seem very odd indeed. If he is a mercenary it should be good, though I wonder whether he'll be bad, which I think is unlikely, live in a bad situation, like Deyna in "(The) Taggerung", or simply be a mercenary but only fighting for good, though the fact that he would appear to demand payment suggests he is not some Martin or Janglur, just helping goodbeasts purely out of the good of his heart. When considering this we should remember that the only mercenary t here has been, that I can remember, is Bane and his band, most definately on the side of evil. Either way it is interesting to see Brian playing around with his own boundaries.

Madd The Sane
June 13th, 2003, 11:32 AM
The freebooters in Triss were also mercinaries, as well as Patchcoat. I know there must me more mercinaries somewhere, most of them being bad guys.

Martin the Warrior
June 14th, 2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Keyla
Well, if he had written "Loamhedge" prior to the release of "(The) Taggerung" then he is quite possibly planning or even writing #18 right now, though he may be a year behind due to his stroke. With this in mind we should soon get some official information regarding #17, especially if the thread at Terrouge is correct that he is talking about it while on tour.

Just to clear things up, he hadn't finished Loamhedge at that time. If anything, it was little more than a bare outline or a few chapters at the time. Brian traditionally works two books ahead, so I'd say he's finishing up with #18 and is starting the groundwork for #19-- assuming, of course, A Divvil of a Lad, Liver Jack, and Sergeant Mugworth haven't eaten up too much time and that he hasn't begun a third Castaways novel.

Keyla
June 16th, 2003, 02:08 PM
And he said he was taking it easy after the stroke. Mind you he may be writing just one Redwall and one other each year, though it seems like more as we hear about the books years before they come out.

VanessaNB
June 16th, 2003, 06:12 PM
Having a few books written in advance doesn't mean he's overworking. I'd say the man can handle his time better than me. *realizes she has homework*

Martin the Warrior
June 27th, 2003, 01:02 AM
Okay, now I'll comment on it. ;) It's not "Racatetan", but Rackety Tam. "Selling his sword" does, indeed, equal "mercenary", and Rackety is accompanied by his friend, Wild Dougie Plum.

For more information, see the latest Newsline post: http://forums.longpatrolclub.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=665

There are still a few bits I'm not revealing, but I'll see what I can do.

Keyla
June 27th, 2003, 05:13 AM
*Cheers* I'm glad it's a mercenary. Mind you it could just be two warriors going about and the only price they demand for their services is a bit of shelter, food and water. Wild Dougie Plum is an interesting name. For all those who are not British it is a very northern British name, sounding quite Scotish, not to say that there are no southern Dougies, of course. ;) This gives no real clue as to the storyline, though you can most likely bet your granny they get to Redwall somehow.

Martin the Warrior
June 27th, 2003, 12:48 PM
I wasn't able to post the bit I knew about the storyline last night, but now have a green light, so you can get a hint as to what Rackety Tam holds in store for us with the latest Newsline article, 'Rackety Tam' Plot Points (http://forums.longpatrolclub.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=666).

VanessaNB
June 27th, 2003, 05:05 PM
Whee! Wild Dougie Plum! He sounds like a real character, the name is a little silly, but stuff like that "builds character". Ten dollars says he's a little guy with an attitude.
Rackety Tam doesn't sound as good to me, like a children's book character. I think I liked Racatetan better. Meh.

"Hey, b'rer Rackety!" Oops:lol:

Slagar the Cruel
June 28th, 2003, 11:07 AM
Well, the cat's finally out of the bag, eh? Well, let me just say that I think "Wild Dougie Plum" is a great name, despite what anyone else might say. ;)

Oh, and I speculate that Rackety Tam is the Bizzaro-world version of Silent Sam! ;)

MoonShadow
June 28th, 2003, 01:29 PM
Squirrels rule. :p :D The story sounds very interesting, but I have to agree that the title/name does sound a bit like a childbook thing.

Keyla
June 28th, 2003, 05:25 PM
I would be interested to see whether the tale starts with Rackety and Dougie leaving the Squirrelking or whether he does a "(The) Taggerung" style first book having them join up. Either way the story is still a bit of a blank canvas. Does the Squirrelking try to get them back? Are they really the central characters or is it like "Triss" where there were multiple? Where does the villain fit into this, if there is indeed a central villain at all? How will they get south quick enough to get to Redwall within the book, if indeed they get to Redwall? How far north actually are they? Does the Squirrelking live in a castle like Gael or in the trees? Is the Squirrelking a bit on the corrupt side of things?
I could be getting the wrong end of the stick about the Squirrelking. He may be of little consiquence in the book, like Lord Hightor and Lady Merola in "Triss", who I thought indicated that Salamandastron was going to be important, when they were included in a character list.

Oh, and I speculate that Rackety Tam is the Bizzaro-world version of Silent Sam!
:confused: What do you mean. I'm sure it's obvious to everyone else. Perhaps I should just go to bed.
I agree the Wild Dougie Plum sounds like he could have some character.

Treerose
June 28th, 2003, 08:33 PM
Well, I have to say that Rackety Tam sounds really intriguing - right now, I'm looking forward to this one more than Loamhedge. (Not that I'm not anxious for Loamhedge, too, of course.) Mercenary squirrels - whee. :D

Tree

~~~~

"I wish to thank my parents for making it all possible... and I wish to thank my children for making it necessary."

~Victor Borge~

Martin the Warrior
June 28th, 2003, 08:59 PM
Keyla
I would be interested to see whether the tale starts with Rackety and Dougie leaving the Squirrelking or whether he does a "(The) Taggerung" style first book having them join up.

My instinct tells me that it will open up in the King's court, with the narrative telling us how long ago and the circumstances under which Rackety and Dougie came into his service (similar to Triss' introduction at Riftgard). It would probably also show us the duo carrying out one of the King's jobs. Then I'd say we'd begin to get an inkling of the King's foolishness and their desire to leave, but the actual severing of ties wouldn't occur until roughly chapter 4 or chapter 5. I'd imagine the bulk of the book thereafter would be their journey southward (shouldn't take too long, remember, Martin & co. reached the Northlands rather quickly in TLoL and Thrugg didn't take long in Salamandastron) and the perils that entails.

What I think will be interesting is whether or not the Squirrelking hires more mercenaries (probably vermin) to hunt down his two former swords-for-hire.

There's a chance this could wind up being very similar to the layout of Taggerung (a duo go from adventure to adventure while being pursued), but I also think there's great potential for a wholly original tale. It would be a shame if Brian didn't seize this opportunity and have them pass through Noonvale.

Keep in mind all of the above is speculation on my part, not more info on the book.

It's a little surprising Brian is using another squirrel title/main character. After their prominence in Marlfox and Triss, I was kind of hoping for a change of pace. But, so long as the story is good, I won't complain. ;)

What do you mean. I'm sure it's obvious to everyone else.

Bizarro-world is a Superman reference, a world with imperfect copies of everyone else who generally do things backwards ("Hello" for "Goodbye" and vice-versa, "Me am fine" for "I feel awful", etc.)... what he means specifically by the Silent Sam comparison I'm not sure, other than to venture a guess that he thinks Rackety will be rather talkative.

Keyla
June 29th, 2003, 03:04 PM
It's a little surprising Brian is using another squirrel title/main character. After their prominence in Marlfox and Triss, I was kind of hoping for a change of pace
Well, from "The Long Patrol" to the up and coming "Loamhedge" the main character species goes like this: hare; squirrel; mouse; badger; otter; squirrel; hare. I'm not sure what you were hoping for. A hedgehog?;) But really Triss was practically the only major squirrel in "Triss".

I'd imagine the bulk of the book thereafter would be their journey southward (shouldn't take too long, remember, Martin & co. reached the Northlands rather quickly in TLoL and Thrugg didn't take long in Salamandastron) and the perils that entails.
Well, the reason they managed it within a book quite easily would appear in my mind to be related to the distance and the mode of transport: the mountains that Thrugg and Dumble travelled to weren't that far north, according to the "Map and Riddler", in relation to the setting of "Martin the Warrior" and "The Legend of Luke"; Martin and co. travelled by boat, increasing their speed greatly, and Thrugg would appear to be very fast considering the rate he reached "The Otter and his Wife" compared to Mariel and co.

Martin the Warrior
June 29th, 2003, 07:27 PM
Keyla
I'm not sure what you were hoping for. A hedgehog?

Well, actually.... ;)

A hedgehog or a return to mice, truth be told. We're about due for another completely original main mouse character, one that hasn't been mentioned or used in another book like Martin, Matthias, Mattimeo, Mariel, or Luke have been.

according to the "Map and Riddler"

I've always been a little wary of using the Map as an absolute judge of distance since it placed Holt Lutra farther north than the Caves of Luke's Tribe, which always seemed wrong to me.

Martin and co. travelled by boat, increasing their speed greatly, and Thrugg would appear to be very fast considering the rate he reached "The Otter and his Wife" compared to Mariel and co.

I'd fully expect to see Rackety and Dougie use a raft to sail downstream or get on board a ship. No matter the device Brian uses, he's done the journey quickly in the past and I wouldn't expect it to be any different this time around. :)

Keyla
June 30th, 2003, 04:51 AM
I'd fully expect to see Rackety and Dougie use a raft to sail downstream or get on board a ship.
That would be interesting and could make a good pursuit if they are indeed pursued. I would be interested to see how the climax develops. If the Squirrelking sends squirrels after them, as I can only see him sending either vermin or woodlanders and not both, it would result in woodlander versus woodlander conflict, the like of which I seem to remember only with the Gawtribe in "Martin the Warrior", which actually ended in an alliance. It could be quite a challenge to resolve this conflict. However, we could be quite wrong in what we are guessing.
I would guess there must be some parallel storyline, as, good as this all sounds, I can't imagine Brian having this as his only plot line. Even in "(The) Taggerung" and the soon to be released "Loamhedge" there are other storylines other than the one the book is rooted in.

Glenner
July 2nd, 2003, 05:10 PM
I was thinking to myseel, Wouldnt it be interesting if the Squirrels were the main bad characters? But thats unlikely. If anything they'll be fighting tihesquirrles off in the first part of the book, then they kight team up with them to fight off the real baddies.

Madd The Sane
July 29th, 2003, 05:37 PM
Maybe the Redwall Warrior will be a hedgehog; It doesn't say that Rackety Tam or his wild friend will be the Redwall champion. Yet. For all we know, the redwall warrior might be a Ferret, stoat, weasel, fox, or rat. :eek: The book may be mostly about Rackety Tam and his friend.

And I do think that the squirrelking will hire other mercinaries, but the mercinaries will be vermin. :eek: It did say that the squirrelking was foolish.

VanessaNB
July 29th, 2003, 05:53 PM
Then the bad, bad vermin mercinaries will turn on the king, causing him to unite with Rackety and Redwall against the common enemy!
Oops, ah spoilt it.

Keyla
July 30th, 2003, 08:30 AM
Maybe the Redwall Warrior will be a hedgehog; It doesn't say that Rackety Tam or his wild friend will be the Redwall champion. Yet. For all we know, the redwall warrior might be a Ferret, stoat, weasel, fox, or rat.
I somehow doubt there will be a vermin champion. But you are right that Rackety would not necessarily become the champion, though it is still quite a strong possibility. There may already be a champion, perhaps aging and quite frankly passed it, whom our hero takes over from, but who knows.

And I do think that the squirrelking will hire other mercinaries, but the mercinaries will be vermin. It did say that the squirrelking was foolish.
This would be a very nice twist. Agreeing with Vanessa, I could imagine the vermin taking power from the squirrelking too, though this may be a little too reminiscent of Gael for it to be done.
Whatever happens, I don't think anyone will be able to complain of Brian running out of good ideas. I'm very excited, perhaps too excited; I think a holiday will do me good.

Martin the Warrior
July 31st, 2003, 10:36 PM
It's entirely possible that Redwall's champion simply will not be that important. For example, Martin the 2nd (granted he's actually the 3rd) in Pearls of Lutra. There's nothing that says Redwall's champion has to be the focus of the book. Surely he'll be there, but... ;)

Keyla
August 15th, 2003, 09:59 AM
So far as I can remember, there was no beast wielding the sword in "Outcast of Redwall".
Of course, if there in another plot thread (like Mhera in "(The) Taggerung"), the champion might have a very prominant position.
Just to throw this: do people think Salamandastron will be involved? Would they like it to be, and to what extent?
In addition, is there any indication anywhere that it will be set after "Loamhedge", other than that it would seem quite logical.

Martin the Warrior
August 17th, 2003, 12:21 AM
Nope, OoR was swordless, but I'd say that's more due to the timeframe (just after Martin's death, within Bella's lifetime) than anything else. Any book set after Matthias' time/quest, though, has featured a sword-wielder (of varying degrees of prominence): Martin the 2nd, Arven, Dannflor, Tagg, and Triss. A tale where Martin's sword stays on the wall would be refreshing, though unlikely.

Keyla
Just to throw this: do people think Salamandastron will be involved? Would they like it to be, and to what extent?

I don't think Salamandastron will be involved with Rackety, no. Brian tends to concentrate on specific areas and doesn't touch the ones that fall outside of that sphere. Since we've already got the northlands in use and Redwall is a safe assumption, I don't think there's something that would get Salamandastron involved without being far more epic than anything that's come before.

Or, to chuck all attempts at reasoned arguments out the window: it just doesn't feel like a Salamandastron tale. :D

In addition, is there any indication anywhere that it will be set after "Loamhedge", other than that it would seem quite logical.

None that I've seen, other than Brian tending to move forward as of late rather than back (unless it's to address a specific, well-known character, such as Martin/Luke or Lord Brocktree).

I would like to see some tale set between Salamandastron and Redwall one of these days, though.

VanessaNB
August 17th, 2003, 05:18 PM
Or, to chuck all attempts at reasoned arguements out the window: it just doesn't feel like a Salamandastron tale. :D
That's my kinda logic;)

Keyla
September 4th, 2003, 02:53 PM
It's interesting that Brian has used the fire mountain far less in books since "Lord Brocktree". Perhaps he reckons he's exhausted the ideas he has in regard to it. He seems to be exploring the country in general more now: Riftguard; Brockhall; Loamhedge; Juska camps.

Madd The Sane
October 4th, 2003, 07:33 PM
When do you think Brian Jacques will focus on the areas east of Redwall and Mossflower? I doubt that Brian will do it in Loamhedge or this novel.

Do you think the book will say when or where Rackety will get his three blades?

Gonff
October 5th, 2003, 06:39 PM
We knew about Triss and Loamhedge before the Taggerung, so I don't think he was lying.

-Gonff

Keyla
October 6th, 2003, 02:05 PM
Do you think the book will say when or where Rackety will get his three blades?
It depends on their significance in the tale. They may simply be trivial details given to a fan, perhaps mentioned to illustrate the point that he is a professional warrior. There is nothing in the limited information we have thus far to suggest that they are that important.

Gonff
October 6th, 2003, 03:36 PM
I think he must get them as a gift... maybe fom Salamandastron.

-Gonff

PS. How do you get the picture under your name??

Gonff
October 6th, 2003, 04:53 PM
Do you think Rackety finds Redwall by accident?

http://gonff2.jpg

-Gonff[B]

PS. How do you get the picture under your name??

Keyla
October 12th, 2003, 12:07 PM
It's hard to say, in my opinion. However, looking at "Triss", even though our heroin has no real link to the abbey that I can think of she is guided by Martin in dreams, so even she does not end up there by accident. Of course there might be some link in his past that ties him to the abbey, even if he doesn't know of it. I think Brian tends to not have them finding the abbey accidently so as to give the tale a greater sense of direction.

t@gg :)
November 5th, 2003, 03:22 PM
squrels would be so cool baddies!

Chelki Sureshot
November 6th, 2003, 10:15 PM
Yeah, squirrels would make really good baddies. I hope there's a main female. It drives me crazy when it's mostly about a male. Not that there ever hasn't been a girl, just boys are usually in general more of the main characters.

t@gg :)
November 9th, 2003, 08:35 AM
i hope while rackaty tam is fighting the bad guys, at the abbey a major event will occur like martins death.

Keyla
November 9th, 2003, 01:24 PM
I doubt this book would be set around the time of Martin's death. Brian doesn't seem to be doing any back-tracking at the moment.
That said, it would seem to be almost a given that something will happen back at the abbey, though it is hard to say what: A siege? A riddling mystery? Something completely new to the series? Who knows? I hope Brian will enlighten us somewhat within the next few months, as the details we have at the moment are rather scant.

Chelki Sureshot
November 17th, 2003, 11:31 PM
I hope he does some backtracking soon. I really want some return characters. And a badgermother. We need another one of those.