PDA

View Full Version : Interesting bit of LOTR movie trivia

Lord Servone
June 10th, 2003, 11:09 PM
At the imdb, I was looking around at the trivia for the first two LOTR movies... besides finding out Bjork was indeed supposed to be the original singer for Gollum's Song (which was should've been nominated and won the Oscar), I found this, even more interesting piece of trivia....

For high-tech tasks, a computer program called MASSIVE made armies of CG orcs, elves, and humans. These digital creations could 'think' and battle independently - identifying friend or foe - thanks to individual fields of vision. Jackson's team could click on one creature in a crowd scene of 20,000 and see through his "eyes". Different species even boast unique fighting styles.

That's impressive on its own...but this I found this even more amusing...

It is reported that on the first run of the fight sequences using the MASSIVE Artificial Intelligence program, the intelligent fighters - programmed to fight in the most efficient manner possible
all turned and ran away. The WETA staff joked that they were the "smart fighters".

Sometimes CGI can be TOO realistic, eh? Muah ha ha ha ha ha!

Ambrose
June 10th, 2003, 11:23 PM
Wow... that is awesome.... hahaha

Darkhood_343
June 11th, 2003, 08:58 AM
Heh, kewl. But I knew this already. It was on the special features of the first edition DVD.

Keyla
June 11th, 2003, 09:08 AM
If you are reading this thread then you may be interested to follow this link to the official site where they have some pictures from "The Return of the King", which is to be released in December:

Official site. (http://www.lordoftherings.net/index_features_rotk.html)

I hope this is of interest.

Rillflag27
June 11th, 2003, 10:56 AM
that's cool

Lord Servone
June 11th, 2003, 11:15 AM
Well, I've only seen the Extended edition DVD, and even then I have not yet seen everything on it yet....

A question about those pictures that somebody may be able to explain to me... in the picture with Legolas and Aragorn walking with Gandalf, Gandalf appears to be the same height as the two. So, when he was reborn as Gandalf the White, did he get shorter too? Or are Legolas and Aragorn just tall? I thought maybe this may've been explained in the books, as I have not read them yet... of course, I'm probably looking too deeply into this picture xP

Keyla
June 11th, 2003, 11:28 AM
I think Aragorn and Legolas are just a step up from him. Anyway, I don't remember him being that much taller than men only hobbits, though at certain moments he grows in height, I think when he is angry.

LadyBeelze
June 11th, 2003, 11:58 AM
lol interesting :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: