PDA

View Full Version : Poor Rose

Bankpetal
June 13th, 2003, 08:58 AM
Hmmmmmm mabye BJ should do a re-write or Martin the Warrior and Mossflower and Ledgend of Luke parts 1 + 3 so Rose can live.
Poor little beastie! :(

Madd The Sane
June 13th, 2003, 09:43 AM
Nah, It would become too complicated: why would Martin leave Noonvale to go to Mossflower? Why would Rose come with him? As you can see, it wouldn't look properly motivated.

This shouldn't be put in the Triss discussion, it should be put in the book section. (Just FYI)

Aargh!!! It's Friday the 13th!!!

LadyBeelze
June 13th, 2003, 10:40 AM
I think that rose's death made the book better, i kind of like bittersweet endings. It kind of touches your emotions a bit. *sniff* poor rose

And madd is right, this should be in the bookshelf section not the triss disscussion.

Bankpetal
June 14th, 2003, 03:30 AM
Opps, well you long patrol types can forgive a gal for makin a mistake. Only just registered :confused:

Keyla
June 15th, 2003, 03:47 PM
Well done whoever moved this.
I'm glad Rose died. Okay, maybe that didn't come out right. The tragedy improved the book. To me it is the most poignant and affective death in the entire series. It is also part of the whole tragedy of Martin's life. I guess Brian's trying to say that by being a warrior and fighting for good came with sacrifice, shattering the image of some carefree, fearless hero by showing that he too suffered pain.
To me a happy ending to "Martin the Warrior" would have been satisfactory, but it was the fact that it wasn't, that it was so bleak and sad that blew me away and made me want to read the rest of the series.

Bankpetal
June 15th, 2003, 03:55 PM
:D You know that actually made sense :D

Keyla
June 15th, 2003, 04:29 PM
You're lucky; it quite often doesn't, even to myself.;)

rowanoak
June 19th, 2003, 06:37 AM
Yes, what happened to Rose was sad. I have come to dislike when one half of a couple is killed off in a work of fiction, but the way it was handled and seeing how it fits into the clues that had been given in the books written before, makes it easier for me, as a fan, to accept Rose's death. Have you noticed that often when the late rose is mention in the "Redwall" book at something tragic has happened or is about to happen? At the end of the book, I ended up caring and having a lot of respect for both Martin and Rose.

BtW: What happened last night? I tried to post, and loged in, but was not allowed to.

Darkhood_343
June 19th, 2003, 06:57 AM
rowanoak
BtW: What happened last night? I tried to post, and loged in, but was not allowed to.
It's not like you weren't allowed to, you just couldn't. Happens sometimes. Random ouccurance. Anyway, on Rose dying... If she didn't die, Brian could have enced the seiries at MtW and had a happy ending to the hero of the Abbey. It makes sense that he killed her off right? Martin wouldn't be hardened by that experience.

Keyla
June 19th, 2003, 10:56 AM
Yes, I think there needed to have been something significant in his early life for Martin to be such a tough cookie at the start of "Mossflower". "Martin the Warrior" makes it seem more logical how he became the leader of the woodlanders, whom he had only known for a couple of seasons by the final battle: he had led before in trying to bring down tyranny.

LadyBeelze
June 21st, 2003, 08:45 AM
If rose hadn't died martin probably wouldn't of have wandered off, saved mossflower, and redwall abbey made. :p

Mariel StormRider
December 21st, 2003, 10:12 PM
Flame me if you must, but I was never that sad about Rose's death. Her character was a little too perfect, gentle, and sweet, in my opinion, and I didn't really like her. She didn't have a single fault in the whole book and I felt that really took a lot of depth out of her character. I was also too busy crying my eyes out over Felldoh's death, but then again, I've always been MUCH sadder when a warrior dies.

Lord Sarkin
December 22nd, 2003, 09:03 AM
your right mariel i was mad at felldohs death too.But as like everybody else said and i agree is,Rose had to die.it just wouldnt have connected if she didnt.

Senav
December 22nd, 2003, 05:37 PM
*cheers Mariel* You managed to put it more tactfully than I ever could. I don't hate Rose, I just highly dislike her.

MoonShadow
December 22nd, 2003, 10:04 PM
Well, the death of Rose was probably the most tragic event in the whole Redwall history (in my opinion anyway), and it played an important part in how Redwall Abbey plays out, as it really shapes Martin's character into how we know it in Mossflower.

granola woodsworth
December 22nd, 2003, 10:18 PM
I agree that Rose had to die. Her death may have been tragic, but it shaped the future of Martin and allowed many events to occur. I can't say I didn't cry over it, though... :o

Keyla
December 23rd, 2003, 03:10 PM
Yes, it is a very moving moment.
Personally, while I do agree that in many ways Rose was bland, what was important was not so much her character but how her relationship with Martin affected him and changed him and how her death desolated him. So while I understand your dislike for her, I think she is very important in Martin's character arc in the book and in the three books he is alive in. It is one of the factors that shaped the very lonely character we see at the beginning of "Mossflower" and at the start of book 3 of "The Legend of Luke".

Mariel StormRider
December 24th, 2003, 01:01 PM
Thanks Senav. Thats basically how I feel about Rose too. I agree with Keyla. i don't think her character mattered as much as how her death affected Martin. If she didn't die, Martin would have a perfect life, and that would be too cheesy. I'm kind of glad she died.