PDA

View Full Version : Paragraph on Loamhedge.

Keyla
June 14th, 2003, 09:14 AM
I was just checking Starfire's Redwall Abbey for any news and I found that she had a paragraph concerning "Loamhedge" from a source, and it doesn't just repeat what we already know; it doubles it approximatley(sp?).
Anyway it is polite to link to where I got it from here (http://starfiresredwall.net/cgi-bin/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=15;t=2)
But it is probably easier for us if I paste the text in here:
"The sixteenth full-length Redwall novel sheds light on the Abbey's ancient origins in a thrilling adventure. Loamhedge, the deserted Abbey, has been forgotten for countless seasons. What secrets do its ruins hold? When it becomes clear that wheelchair-bound Martha might be cured by a formula buried there, two old warriors are inspired by the spirit of Martin the Warrior himself to go on a quest for the ancient Abbey--and three young rebels are determined to go with them. Meanwhile, the giant badger Lonna Bowstripe thirsts for vengeance as he relentlessly pursues Raga Bol and his murdering crew of Searats ... who are on their way to attack Redwall itself! The valiant Abbeybeasts must defend their home, but how can they, when their boldest warriors are away on their quest? Will Redwall fall to vermin invaders at last? A rare glimpse into Redwall's history makes this volume a memorable addition to Jacques' epic. Fans will not be disappointed, and new readers will be eager to jump on board. "

So what do people think?
Ever since the note I had a hunch that the quest to Loamhedge would be for healing. However, I have another hunch, though it sounds a bit rediculous. You may not want to read this as it could be a major spoiler for the end of the book:
She may not be cured. This might be another nice little bit of "bitter-sweet" like Rose and Madd. Brian saying "such is life" in the most recent "Ask Brian" really sticks in my mind.
It is hard to say what is meant by "young rebels". Are they actually rebelious in general, or is it just that they run away with the two old warrioirs, whom I would say with near certainty are Sarabando and Bragoon.
The description of a "murdering crew of Searats" seems slightly at odds with the "bumbling vermin crew" of the note , but, considering the typical vermin, they are quite easily both.
I am not sure how bent on vengance Lonna Bowstripe is going to be, considering Triss' hate for Kurda and Riftguard did not feature greatly. It is hard to say whether he is from Salamandastron, but I would guess not, for three reasons: he is not refered to as Lord; there are no hares mentioned; involving Salamandastron, with its ever increasing hare population might make the conflict a little one sided.
Brian said, in the Terrouge interview I believe, that Martha is the central character. How does she fit into all of this, apart from being the cause for the quest? I guess she must be key in the defence of the abbey, growing in the respect of her elders like Matthias and Martha.
But what do I know?

Martin the Warrior
June 14th, 2003, 10:01 PM
It's an interesting summary, isn't it? I've been meaning to get it up (and an Urso Brunov one) for the last few days but, unfortunately, didn't have the time (although they're both up now).

For some reason, "Bowstripe" sounds familiar, although I can't quite place it. Still, though, very interesting developments.

I'd say the "young rebels" are nothing more than youngsters wishing to play warrior-- maybe not as young as Arven et al, but I think younger than Samkim was. A nice middle ground to tread allowing Brian to play up the mentor/student dynamic within the group.

Keyla
June 16th, 2003, 02:23 PM
I think Bowstripe sounds familier because random-something-stripe is the king of "just add water" badger name and probably is used by a member of the ROC or perhaps in a fanfic. I've just read my previous post and before anyone posts that they are confused, where I said "Matthias and Martha" I meant to say "Matthias and Mhera".
On the subject of names it has just occured to me that perhaps Lonna is intended to sound like loner, thus hinting that he travels alone, or it could just be like Nimbalo sounding a bit like nimble but actually having no real connection at all.

VanessaNB
June 16th, 2003, 06:09 PM
For some reason I thought Lonna was a she. Ook.
The little bit in the spoiler bothers me not...it's a "maybe" and we can't have all happy endings, and it's not to say that Martha actually dies .
This is looking good.

Keyla
June 17th, 2003, 06:01 AM
I wasn't saying she was going to die but that she might not be cured of her lameness.

Dannflower Reguba
June 17th, 2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Martin the Warrior
For some reason, "Bowstripe" sounds familiar, although I can't quite place it.

Perhaps because of Sunstripe?

Madd The Sane
June 18th, 2003, 03:03 PM
True: that she might not be cured, or she might be cured. Maybe one of the warriors who leaves to look for the thing might be skipper.

Sayna
June 20th, 2003, 07:29 AM
At first I thought Martha was going on the quest and she was going to become the warrior but if she was wheelchair bound then she can't because she would be easy prey to vermin. She might become abbess.

Keyla
June 20th, 2003, 08:02 AM
Yes, that's probably quite a good bet. I would guess as the abbey is attacked she "grows in wisdom and in the respect of her elders" until the end where she is crowned abbess, like in "(The) Taggerung", "Marlfox" and "The Pearls of Lutra", though we cannot say whether there will be an abbot or abbess at the start of the book as there was in "The Pearls of Lutra". Still, we might be surprised and I hope we are.
Does anyone else think that Raga Bol sound like a kind of Italien pasta? There might actually be something in this when we consider the Germanic sounding ferrets of Riftguard in "Triss".

Sayna
June 20th, 2003, 10:00 AM
you might be thinking of spag bol :D

Keyla
July 2nd, 2003, 10:31 AM
I put "Loamhedge" into Google and amongst a sea of links I got one to Barnes & Noble. What caught my eye was one of the "reviews". To my surprise one of them wasn't just speculation:

This Is The Best Book, A Must Have !!! I got an unreleased version of this story from my friend and it is the best book from the series. It tells all about the story of how Loamhedge was built and destroyed from a horrible disease and broke down at war. In Mattimeo it has a few scenes in the ruins of Loamhedge. This book is a must have !!!
This seems a bit strange. It seems to go against all that we've heard thus far. Perhaps we do hear about the abbey's building demise in part, but I just wonder why he hasn't mentioned anything we've heard.
How could his friend be wrong if he really did get a copy? Of course it could just be, and probably is, made up, a prank. I just thought I'd mention it.

Here's a quote I found online from publishers weekly:

He picked up his pen as quickly as possible, and has in fact just completed another Redwall book (Loamhedge, tentatively scheduled for publication in fall 2003). "I also recorded a book [Triss, a September 2002 Redwall title] with a full cast the other week--I was the narrator--and I've been over to Bologna to the book fair."
This would appear to put to rest any rumours floating about the ROC that "Triss" was the first written after his stroke; it appears "Loamhedge" was!

I also thought this may be of interest:

When asked about any future plans to write about his illness, Jacques says firmly, "No, I don't want to. I hate illness and sickness."

Here's the link, by the way:
Here (http://publishersweekly.reviewsnews.com/index.asp?layout=article&articleid=CA217534&publication=publishersweekly)

Glenner
July 2nd, 2003, 04:46 PM
I put "Loamhedge" into Google and amongst a sea of links I got one to Barnes & Noble. What caught my eye was one of the "reviews". To my surprise one of them wasn't just speculation:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This Is The Best Book, A Must Have !!! I got an unreleased version of this story from my friend and it is the best book from the series. It tells all about the story of how Loamhedge was built and destroyed from a horrible disease and broke down at war. In Mattimeo it has a few scenes in the ruins of Loamhedge. This book is a must have !!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This seems a bit strange. It seems to go against all that we've heard thus far. Perhaps we do hear about the abbey's building demise in part, but I just wonder why he hasn't mentioned anything we've heard.
How could his friend be wrong if he really did get a copy? Of course it could just be, and probably is, made up, a prank. I just thought I'd mention it.

Well, its very possible that the person could have recieved an advanced reading copy-either from a source like ebay (where I got my advanced reading copy of Triss) or maybe one of his family members was one of the people who recived a copy to review.
But there is the small chance that the person did make it up.

I really do hope that its true though, and that we do get to hear about its destruction. It would make an interesting read!

Keyla
July 3rd, 2003, 09:29 AM
Mind you it would be the logical thing for someone to make up, though the site actually had the description that's at the start of the thread so the person would be a bit stupid, if they were making it up, to not look at that and try to incorperate it. Well, who knows? I suppose we'll have to wait until someone reputable in the ROC gets a copy.

VanessaNB
July 3rd, 2003, 03:03 PM
Someone at the RFF managed to get his hands on an advanced copy, full of typos and such, and says its purty good. In the general discussion, or the comment board.
Me's gettin' me hopes up.

Dannflower Reguba
July 3rd, 2003, 03:13 PM
I'm not sure, but I remember reading something BJ wrote about "not introducing that kind of darkness to children" when refering to the tale of Loamhedge and the plague. Of course, he could somehow get around that.

Keyla
July 3rd, 2003, 04:47 PM
I'm not sure, but I remember reading something BJ wrote about "not introducing that kind of darkness to children" when refering to the tale of Loamhedge and the plague.
It could just be an entry in a journal or something that they find in the abbey records or in the possesion of somebeast who lives in the area, just giving snap shots of it.

Someone at the RFF managed to get his hands on an advanced copy, full of typos and such, and says its purty good. In the general discussion, or the comment board.
What's the RFF, and could you link to it as I'd really be interested to read that.

Martin the Warrior
July 4th, 2003, 07:47 PM
I got an unreleased version of this story from my friend and it is the best book from the series.

I am naturally wary of any review that begins like that.

Glenner
But there is the small chance that the person did make it up.

I'd say that's a large chance, actually-- the small chance is that this guy is right. ;)

Dannflower
I'm not sure, but I remember reading something BJ wrote about "not introducing that kind of darkness to children" when refering to the tale of Loamhedge and the plague. Of course, he could somehow get around that.

That's long been his policy, yes, stated a few times in Ask Brian.

Keyla
What's the RFF, and could you link to it as I'd really be interested to read that.

The RFF is the Redwall Fan Fiction Board, although I'm afraid I don't have a link handy. It was an ezBoard, last time I checked, so running a search for "Redwall" at ezboard.com should turn it up.

Keyla
July 5th, 2003, 06:38 AM
This bit of the paragraph at the start of the thread would seem to support this persons testimony:

A rare glimpse into Redwall's history makes this volume a memorable addition to Jacques's epic. Fans will not be disappointed, and new readers will be eager to jump on board.
The "rare glimpse into Redwall's history" may simply be that they go to the ruins, but that would seem a slightly odd as we've already seen the ruins in "Mattimeo" and to be honest it wouldn't really be a glimpse into the past. But then again if we consider Brockhall in "Triss" and the lack of real revelations or accounts.
Who knows?

Keyla
July 7th, 2003, 04:54 AM
Major "Loamhedge" Spoilers Ahead (possibly):

Please, forgive me for double posting.
In responce to Vanessa's post in a thread, the name of which escapes me (it could even be this one), I decided to try to find the Redwall Fanfiction Board to get the information on "Loamhedge". Here is the link to the discussion:
Loamhedge Thread (http://pub173.ezboard.com/fredwall58860frm1.showMessage?topicID=1141.topic)

And here is the actual part of interest: the first bit is, as far as I can tell, a blurb:

Loamhedge, the deserted Abbey, forgotten for countless seasons. What secrets do its ruins hold? Martha Braebuck, a young haremaid, wheelchair-bound since infancy, wonders about a mysterious old poem relating to the ancient Abbey. Could it really be the key to her cure? But how could she get to this Loamhedge? As fate has it, two old warriors, travelers returning to Redwall Abbey, are inspired by the spirit of Martin the Warrior to quest for the ancient place- and three young rebels are determined to go with them.
In another part of Mossflower Country, the giant badger Lonna Bowstripe thirsts for vengeance as he relentlessly hunts down the Searat Raga Bol and his murderous crew. He pursues them unto the very gates of Redwall- and finds valiant Abbeybeasts defending their home against the conniving vermin!
Riddles, feasting, songs and battle intertwine with the forces of good and evil in this epic saga. Join the heroes in their far-flung mission. Stand on the ramparts with the Abbot and his friends. Face the Foebeast at the Abbey of Redwall. Take the high road to adventure in the search for the hidden secret of Loamhedge! Eulaliiiiiaaaaaaa!

This is, apparently, the preface:

Have you been traveling, my young friend? Come in out of the darkness and rain. Sit by the fire, eat, drink and rest yourself. Life is one long journey from beginning to end, you know. We all walk different roads, both with our bodies and our minds. Some of us lose heart and fall by the wayside, whilst others go on to realize their dreams and desires.
Let me tell you a story of travellers, and the paths they followed. Of young ones, like yourself, sometimes uncertain of their direction, and often reluctant to listen to the voices of sense and wisdom. Of a mighty warrior, set on a course of destiny and vengeance, unstoppable in his resolve. Of an evil one and his crew, cruel and ruthless, bound on a march of destruction and conquest. Of a simple maid and her friends, homebodies whose only aims were peace and well-being for all. Of wicked, foolish wanderers, chasing fantasies and fables, consumed by their own greed. Of small babes who dreamed small dreams, not knowing what the future held in store for them. And, finally, of two friends, faithful and true, who had roamed many highways and together chose their own way.
The lives I will tell you of are intertwined by fate- good and evil bringing their just rewards to each, as they merited them. Listen whilst I relate this story. For am I not the Teller of Tales, the Weaver of Dreams!"

I'm in two minds whether to trust this, not because I'm saying the person posting it would be lying but because it seems just too good to be true. However, they did say that this was an uncorrected advance copy proof.
Mostly it just goes along with and builds upon what we know already though there are a few new points of particular interest: confirmation that Lonna and the searats end up at Redwall; the suggestion that there is an abbot, at least at the beginning; "small babes who dreamed small dreams, not knowing what the future held in store for them", which I find very intriguing (sp?). What also struck was that

Of an evil one and his crew, cruel and ruthless, bound on a march of destruction and conquest. and
Of wicked, foolish wanderers, chasing fantasies and fables, consumed by their own greed. would appear to be seperate and therefore cannot just be the searats searching for the sword. Is the latter of the two descriptions an antagonist we have not yet come across, possibly hindering those going to Loamhedge?
However, I'm trying to prevent myself becoming too excited, as fantastic as this story looks to be; it could just be a very well constructed hoax. One thing that struck me as slightly odd was that in the preface colons and semi-colons were not used in the list, though this is possibly due to it being such a longwinded list. In addition the line
For am I not the Teller of Tales, the Weaver of Dreams! would make more sense it it were "For I am not the Teller of Tales, but the Weaver of Dreams!", though, again, this is just the uncorrected advance proof. I'm really hoping this is the real thing.

Dannflower Reguba
July 7th, 2003, 12:45 PM
About that last part, Keyla. I don't think it's saying "For I am not the Teller of Tales, but the Weaver of Dreams!", but rather think of it as "Listen to my tale, for do I not know everything? Am I not the one who was there? Did I not see it with my own two eyes?" Not saying that's what happened, but that's the meaning. And poetic license allows BJ to take out any conjunctions he wants. If it helps to make more sense, substitute the comma for an ellipse (...). "For am I not the Teller of Tales...the Weaver of Dreams!"

On a side note, doesn't this person sound a lot like Outcast of Redwall's vixen seer? I can't recall her name right now. She was killed by Sunflash.

Keyla
July 7th, 2003, 01:54 PM
Her name was Nightshade. This preface is in the same kind of tone as we've had before but here in prose when it is normally verse, which strikes me as unusual and Brian seems to jump at any oppurtunity for a bit of poetry. Perhaps he felt like not doing it exactly the same.

VanessaNB
July 7th, 2003, 05:14 PM
To the bit about "wicked, foolish wanderers, chasing fantasies and fables, consumed by their own greed"*. These could be the three rebel persons, though BJ rarely describes his good guys as wicked or greedy. So they must be someone else.

* I'm too lazy to put this in quote form. See how I laze.