PDA

View Full Version : Pro·cras·ti·na·tion

Sagrived Switpaw
October 30th, 2008, 11:03 PM
This one goes out to anyone who has put off writing that 1-30 page paper until the night before it was due! Vote "YES" and explain yourself!

NOTICE: If you are a self-motivated go-getter with a extended attention span and a knack for completing tasks ahead of schedule, well.....vote "NO" and exit stage left.

I for one am guilty of such procrastinating actions, even as you read this I have multiple papers that need expanded from their current state of 'nothingness'. Yet I sit here and think up thread topics to discuss with you people, while watching Trigun and playing Mario RPG.

Folgrimeo
October 31st, 2008, 12:29 AM
We could go for the old joke that anyone not posting is just procrastinating their eventual post here.

Yup, I'm a big procrastinator. I always seem to get things done at the last minute... and then leave the house 15 minutes late because those few minor changes took longer than I thought it would. If I'm told of a deadline, I won't actually start working on it until the deadline's a week away. As a rule of thumb, I try to tell myself "the deadline's two days away" even if it's not... but I rarely say that. Usually I just try to survive through the school week so I can work on homework (or not work on it) over the weekend.

Tsarmina 07
October 31st, 2008, 12:46 AM
What do you think I'm doing on an internet forum at one in the morning? :p I can think of at least three more useful things I could be doing.

I'm horrible with procrastinating. If I have to do something, I always leave it until the last minute (literally, sometimes- I can remember e-mailing high school teachers assignments at 11:59 PM on the date they were due :o ).

LordTBT
October 31st, 2008, 12:58 AM
Not once while in any form of school did I ever pull an all-nighter, and it still befuddles me as to how/why people do it. ;)

Balmafula
October 31st, 2008, 10:35 AM
Then what are you doing here, you rotten go-getter! *shakes fist*

Yep, I have managed to turn procrastination into an art form. I thought that I would eventually learn to stop; I've only gotten better at it. I like to call it "Planned Procrastination" as in I leave it not quite to the last minute, but leave myself just enough time that you can get it done WELL and not have to waste all that time.

Bladeswift
October 31st, 2008, 02:50 PM
Last week I ended up waiting until the last 15 hours till a paper was due. Mostly it was due to procrastination, but also the (mistaken) assumption that the paper would be as easy to do as the last one the teacher had assigned.

That's the only all-nighter I can recall doing. Normally I wait until the last week to do something. Or, the last 2-3 days if I have less than a week to get it done. I work better when feeling slightly rushed. Giving me a deadline that's over two weeks long is completely pointless on your part, since there's no incentive.

Arrowtail
October 31st, 2008, 06:56 PM
I've always found it hard to work in 'stages', I prefer to get everything done in one go. So I end up procrastinating a lot.

Poncho D
November 1st, 2008, 09:05 AM
I didn't vote, but I follow a policy of "calculated procrastination." Here's how it works:

I look at the due date for an assignment, estimate how long it will take me to do it, and subtract. But because the universe tends to punish procrastinators through unexpected circumstances (due dates being moved around, materials being lost, etc.), the result is not when I start. I always add a few days, or even a week or two, as insurance. Take that, universe!

Mackinsie
November 1st, 2008, 12:58 PM
While I have never put off a 30 page paper until the night before it was due, I have put off papers of much shorter lengths. I can normally write a decent 4 or 5 page research paper in about an hour. However, just because I can do it doesn't mean I like to do it. ;) I prefer the gradual approach, but I've never been someone to start a paper 3 weeks before it's due. If I had my choice, I'd work on a paper for about a week.

Badrang3
November 1st, 2008, 02:20 PM
My proudest piece of procrastination came in Grade 9, where I forced myself to write the biography of Vladimir Lenin the day before it was due, after having over a month to do it.

Abbot Peter
November 1st, 2008, 03:09 PM
Me? Oh, I had a report on the election to do, and I had two months... and I did it all the night before it was do...

Took me 6 hours... With help... From my grandmother (history teacher).... Heh

Flinky_rules
November 2nd, 2008, 11:09 AM
Yeah, I procrastinate. I've had time to work on my French project since a little less than a month ago and I just finished it, like, 15 minutes ago. :rolleyes: It looks pretty awesome though!

Barkstripe
November 2nd, 2008, 02:25 PM
Top Ten Reasons I procrastinate:

(A Shirt I have)

Petunia
November 2nd, 2008, 04:15 PM
Hmmm...

I should probably get off the internet and start my opera libretto for English class that's due Wednesday, but that probably won't happen any time soon. I'm not going to get much sleep Tuesday night.

Chickentech
November 2nd, 2008, 04:16 PM
I've been stuck in a loop of procrastination for years. It always starts with me bombing a test or not finishing my homework and getting a terrible grade. than I vow to start getting my work done right after I get home from school. that lasts for probably 3 days, than I start saying things like I'm tired and I'll start in half an hour, than an hour, than after supper. usually 2 weeks after I vow to stop procrastinating I'm back to getting my work done at 10:30. Inevitably a few weeks later I will end up failing a test or something and starting the loop all over again. heck, just last week I bombed an AP gov't test and started a loop over again, we'll see how long it takes me to stop getting my work done right after school.

Balmafula
November 2nd, 2008, 06:19 PM
I think my greatest procrastination achievement was in my junior year I had to write a final essay for my psychology class (I wrote about anxiety and phobias). I started writing at 9:30 the night before it was do and got an A.

Goddess of Darkness
November 2nd, 2008, 06:47 PM
Recently got a 4.0 on a paper I started the morning it was due. I absolutely cannot get myself to start an assignment until it's the very last moment I have a chance to. I also recently got a 3.6 on a 4 page essay I didn't start until the hour before class (it's worth noting, though, that the actual "writing" part of the grade, I got 98% on...I just lost some points on an outline we were supposed to write first).

I must admit, I rely on my natural writing voice to help me be able to write a paper without having to plan much...I just start writing, and the words flow out. I don't even usually read back over it, and yet I still have English professors coming up to me and personally complimenting me on my writing. It's awesome. XD

Fuzface
November 3rd, 2008, 07:40 AM
I'm a huge procrastinator. I never do homework until I've only got a day or two to do it. :rolleyes:

I am supposed to be doing a test now. And I'm not.....:D

LadyBeelze
November 3rd, 2008, 11:15 AM
If there was a class in procrastination, I'd totally get an A+! Then again, I don't think that would be possible since it'd defeat the whole purpose of procrastinating. :rolleyes:

I wrote a 4 page paper last night that compares a baroque artwork with a more contemporary one under a feminist view. Of course, when I turned it in today the professor told us that it's not actually due 'till Friday. I also was late to class today and subsequently hardly did anything to my hair and I got two compliments on my hair style this morning. :lol:

Bladeswift
November 3rd, 2008, 01:39 PM
Top Ten Reasons I procrastinate:

(A Shirt I have)
I saw a guy on campus wearing that shirt. I'd probably buy it if I ever saw it in a clothing store.

If there was a class in procrastination, I'd totally get an A+! Then again, I don't think that would be possible since it'd defeat the whole purpose of procrastinating. :rolleyes:

I wrote a 4 page paper last night that compares a baroque artwork with a more contemporary one under a feminist view. Of course, when I turned it in today the professor told us that it's not actually due 'till Friday. I also was late to class today and subsequently hardly did anything to my hair and I got two compliments on my hair style this morning. :lol:
Procrastination 101. Located in room...you know what, it doesn't matter, because if you show up, you automatically fail the class.

LordTBT
November 3rd, 2008, 02:11 PM
Recently got a 4.0 on a paper I started the morning it was due. I absolutely cannot get myself to start an assignment until it's the very last moment I have a chance to. I also recently got a 3.6 on a 4 page essay I didn't start until the hour before class (it's worth noting, though, that the actual "writing" part of the grade, I got 98% on...I just lost some points on an outline we were supposed to write first).

I find bragging about getting good grades on work you put off still projects that you're disorganized. :rolleyes:

I also was late to class today and subsequently hardly did anything to my hair and I got two compliments on my hair style this morning. :lol:

Probably because they thought you were late because you were doing your hair. :p

Sagrived Switpaw
November 3rd, 2008, 04:59 PM
I finally finished both Trigun and Mario RPG, yet I'm not one sentence closer to starting any of the research papers that will due soon. Shocker.....

Ever wonder what it'd be like to be a motivated person who gets things done ahead of schedule? Yea, me two! :D

Petunia
November 3rd, 2008, 05:58 PM
Still haven't started that libretto... and it's Monday! :eek:

The dirgecallers
November 3rd, 2008, 07:04 PM
I have three papers I have too write by next week and I havent started in any of them:mad:

Sea Bogle
November 4th, 2008, 12:28 AM
I'm currently trying to finish an essay and a presentation that are both due tomorrow--er, today, considering that it's almost 1:30 am. (The essay probably won't get done) I meant to start them this weekend but ended up watching movies instead. And then I decided to make this morning one of those unusual times when I actually post.:D

Tsarmina 07
November 4th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I also was late to class today and subsequently hardly did anything to my hair and I got two compliments on my hair style this morning. :lol::lol: I got compliments on my hair after I cut it myself in the bathroom mirror once!

LadyBeelze
November 4th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Probably because they thought you were late because you were doing your hair. :p

Little do they know .. :p I need to put my alarm clock somewhere other than right beside my bed. Hitting the snooze button and sleeping in is all too easy.

Right now I'm working on a digital illustration that's due tonight and I had two weeks to do it. It includes a platypus, Chinese woman and an elevator. Yeah, it's awesome. I've caught a bit of a cold though so I'm going to stay home and turn it in on Thursday.

:lol: I got compliments on my hair after I cut it myself in the bathroom mirror once!

:lol: Awesome.

Fuzface
November 4th, 2008, 05:26 PM
I'm supposed to be writing my novel for NaNoWriMo, but I'm not...:rolleyes:

Hisk
November 5th, 2008, 04:53 PM
I'm supposed to be writing an essay right now.

Speaks for itself.

Mokkan
November 5th, 2008, 05:43 PM
I'm supposed to be doing my Bio homework. 45 minutes on the subway will solve that.

I have 20+ techincal drawings due next Thursday.

I have a Global test tomorrow.

I have to read 5 chapters from the Hobbit.

I have to do 30 more math entries. Each is supposed to be 20 minutes.

The list goes on and on... :o

Sagrived Switpaw
November 5th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I actually wrote three papers just last night, they didn't get rave reviews, but they're passable. Not sure if it was worth it long-term ways because I'm completely drained today.

Chelki Sureshot
November 14th, 2008, 11:20 AM
We could go for the old joke that anyone not posting is just procrastinating their eventual post here.

I'm supposed to be writing an essay right now.

Speaks for itself.

I think this could suffice for my entry.

Anywho, I'm the Queen of Procrastinating. I think it comes from when I was little. I (am not bragging) was the smartest little kid. I knew everything my teachers were saying, school was just way too easy. Then when it started getting more difficult I got confused because I actually had to do work and study, and I didn't really know how. . .

I always think, "later, later". Later never comes, because it's always now. :rolleyes: Even when I'm completely bored with nothing to do, I'd rather just sit there and stare at a wall instead of do homework. It's horrible, really.

In freshman year, we had to do a book project. I chose to do mine on Rakkety Tam, and made a bag out of burlap, got some parchment type paper which I cooked in the stove to make it seem old, got a crow feather and actually wrote with it. Then I rolled up the pieces of paper I wrote on and sealed them with candle wax. We probably had about a month to do it, and the teacher told us over and over, "You won't get an A if you do it the night before it's due." I did it the night before it was due, and got and A, and she asked if she could keep it to show future classes. Doesn't help me learn my lesson, at all. Maybe if I got into huge trouble for procrastinating, I might stop, but until then. . .

Rakkety Tam
November 17th, 2008, 12:50 AM
sometimes i procrastinate so much that it's 1 week after it due, that i turn it in

Josiah the Warrior
December 16th, 2008, 03:20 AM
Ahh procrastination; my constant ally.

How we doin, folks? It's been a while! :p Just thought I'd drop in as I procrastinate on doing anything remotely productive after acing (I think) my finals. I thought I'd treat myself a little after confirming that I cracked that first "A" for a final grade in college (it's sad, I know, but freshman year was...not productive) with several more looking to adorn my transcript for this semester when all grades are posted. Other than studying very hard to achieve forementioned results...my life has been dull with a capital 'd.' I thought it'd be nice to poke around here a bit (lots of enthusiastic b-day threads, I've noticed), and it's amusing to see that this weird new vampire craze has filtered into the LPF as well. What's up with the vampire thing anyway? But I digress. Hope all has been well with you folks!

Oh and ps, just so I'm actually responding to the thread; I procrastinate like it's my job.

Sagrived Switpaw
December 16th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Oh and ps, just so I'm actually responding to the thread; I procrastinate like it's my job.

Josi! Good to see ya, you procrastinating ":slagar".

Brother_Cloudberry
December 18th, 2008, 11:50 AM
I'm a little like Fuzface; I usually leave a Biology packet for later, then it turns into the day before it's due; then I do it in a hurry, and I finish it in about 10 minutes... And I get a good grade on it the next day, kinda like Chelki. :D Now if I could just get my sister off my computer for at least a minute a day, I might actually have some time on it all week. :mad: and yeah, she does it EVERY ****ING DAY.

Tesra
December 18th, 2008, 01:25 PM
I have read 4 books telling about Beowulf : analysis, criticism, hypothesis... It's awfully interesting !!! Aw... now I still have to think what I'll be writing about exactly, and do my 5000-words structured essay for 6th January. Taking Christmas days and New Year Eve/Day into account. Oh, and that I have an exam on the 5th.

Mokkan
December 18th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I got Technical Drawing "tutorials", as in drawings due tomorrow. Why procrastinate when your best buddy can just send ALL of 'em over AIM? What are friends for?

Now I have to finish my Biology research on the digestive system which will probably take like 2 hours. Told my parents I started 3 hours ago but in reality I was just playing Team Fortress 2. :D

Going to start right now.

Bladeswift
December 18th, 2008, 06:24 PM
I am part of a program that pays college tuition provided I meet certain requirements and sign a contract by a certain deadline.

Today was my last day to complete said requirements and sign said contract. I'd known about the deadline for around 4 weeks. If I had not gotten the work done on time, I would have a bill of $3,160 on my account.

Their office closed at 5pm today. Guess what time I woke up? 3pm. Guess what time I left their office? 4:55pm.
Getting it done in < five minutes before deadline?

I win. I win so much, I went out to eat to celebrate my victory.