PDA

View Full Version : Highlights of 2008

redwallfan91
December 28th, 2008, 08:52 PM
A new year is coming. As the title suggests, what were your highlights of the year? We have a thread for the years movies and albums, but overall, what were your favourite things of the year? This could be personal events, films discovered, music uncovered, milestones accomplished, etc.

And as a follow-up, what are things you are looking forward to in 09?

In 2008, I went to Great Britain for over two weeks, I signed a contract with the 15th largest publisher in the world, I visited friends, went on a fabulous vacation, and wrote four books (okay, two of them were novellas, but the other two were full-fledged novels). I also read some great books, watched some great films, and discovered Phil Collins, who is now my favourite singer/songwriter of all time.

I'm looking forward to the release of my book in 2009, another possible trip to the UK for an interview at Cambridge, graduation in May, getting finished with four AP Exams (I need a five on all of them for Cambridge), and a summer/autumn packed with travelling before I hopefully head out in 2010 for three years in England studying Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic Arts. As well, I'm looking forward to starting and completing some writing projects and reading some new books. There are a host of films coming up that I'm looking forward to as well.

Now, what about you chaps?

Sagrived Switpaw
December 28th, 2008, 09:46 PM
In 2008 I:

Met a girl
Grew spiritually
Made new friends
Completed my first semester of college (didnít fail a course)
Learned a lot of useless information
Became a better ball player
Bowled an almost perfect game in Wii bowling
Passed 2000 skill points in Wii boxing
Worked harder, (to become) better, faster, stronger -draft punk
And kept in touch with you LPF people

Bladeswift
December 28th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Well, this year sucked.

We've lost...how many? Bobby Fischer, Heath Ledger, Bernie Mac, Gary Gygax, Heston, Carlin, Richard Wright. Tons of others. Good God.

The US got a real sweet deal. 8 years of an ape in the White House and the best replacements they could find were John McCain or Barack Obama. I give up.

China got screwed over by an earthquake, but not before selling everyone lead poisoning and tainted milk. Russia's laughing at us, and not because of the celebrity and political scandals we've had. There weren't any Pirates of the Caribbean movies this year, but pirates are still making headlines thanks to Somalia. And the Middle East is the Middle East.

Oh, and then there was that thing called the economy. That was pretty nice. I hear they're making a sequel.

As for my personal life, that's fared better. At least somewhat. Graduated high school. Had a girlfriend. Lost a girlfriend. Started university. Got a car. Got a job.

Here's to '09.

Sagrived Switpaw
December 28th, 2008, 11:34 PM
We've lost...how many? Bobby Fischer, Heath Ledger, Bernie Mac, Gary Gygax, Heston, Carlin, Richard Wright. Tons of others. Good God.
Newman was the greatest loss.

The US got a real sweet deal. 8 years of an ape in the White House and the best replacements they could find were John McCain or Barack Obama. I give up. I agree with you Blade.

Oh, and then there was that thing called the economy. That was pretty nice. I hear they're making a sequel.
Very true, nothing like pointless job hunting and over priced pump fees. But life goes on, and it's not without signs of improvement.

The dirgecallers
December 30th, 2008, 01:22 PM
2008:

I:
Walked a marathon distance (26.2 miles) in one go.
Won the jackpot on a fishing trip with a 10 pound Lingcod(Also the trip I caught 10 fish)
Voted for the very first time
Watched the entire fourth season of Lost-twice
Had at least 5 ideas that would make a great Sci-Fi novel
Didn't follow through with any of them
Went to Hawaii
Saw at least 5 movies in theaters which were letdowns

Ember Nickel
December 30th, 2008, 04:43 PM
2008 was the year...

That I got my wisdom teeth taken out, broke down in tears after a piano recital failure, broke down in tears looking at saxophone sheet music, that I finished my infuriating chemistry...oh wait highlights?

That my cousins and I became "cousaunts" and "cousuncles" when my oldest two cousins had kids. That I excelled on big standardized tests. That I got into the band good enough to play the crazy music. That I went to five baseball games and five Great Lakes in two weeks. That I witnessed a Major League record tied, journaled the Cubs' centennial season, checked off Dodger Stadium in another trip, and created my own poetic form. That I began volunteering at my library and in political campaigns. That one team I compete on reprised its success from the previous season, and another almost had a .500 record, which in its case is essentially successful. That I met Michael J. Fox without any idea who it was. That a project on another website came to about the best possible conclusion, and that I started another one to be continued in 2009.

Renegade
December 31st, 2008, 09:44 PM
In 2008, I:
- ran my first half marathon
- ran my first full marathon
- renewed my contract even though I hate my job (in light of the current economic situation)
- ate my first live oyster :eek:

Tesra
January 1st, 2009, 04:06 PM
In 2008 I :
- gave a free hand at the American Library
- volunteered to became secretary for the choir
- stayed in touch with lots of great people
- lost some people who I hope weren't so great
- became a LAN player
- became a SoulStorm player
- read Beowulf

Fuzface
January 1st, 2009, 05:06 PM
In 2008, I:

1. Found out that musicals are NOT all cruddy
2. Read and wept Les Miserables
3. E-mailed Orson Scott Card
4. Got to be a soldier in a Revolutionary war reeinactment
5. Discovered Monty Python
6. Realized that I really don't understand/like religion
7. Realized how sheltered I am
8. discovered Dostoevsky
9. Lost a bet to my friend to whom I'd said will never see me cry
10. Developed Fan-girly crushes on at least two fictional chracters
11. found out how cool old cemetaries are.
12. lamented on how most of the good authors are dead.
13. Grew closer to two people who I previously didn't talk to.

Not a bad year, over all.

chupacabra
January 1st, 2009, 11:56 PM
I just glad it was over. Now I hope I can get a real job instead of Temporary one that doesn't pay well.I can't stand either.:(

Safronia_Cedarwood
January 2nd, 2009, 03:04 PM
Events of 2008

I...

-maintained a cough for the whole year
-discovered Fullmetal Alchemist
-got addicted to Discworld
-got rejected by my crush
-went back to playing Maplestory
-My writing skills went kablooie
-became a more-or-less democrat
-learned about imaginary numbers
-read a lot of books

Chelki Sureshot
January 2nd, 2009, 03:22 PM
Hmm let's see.

In 2008 I. . .

-saw the ocean for the very first time
-took an overnight trip with my BFF
-got a car (which is currently buried by snow :mad: )
-got involved in theatre
-realized that making videos is really really fun
-fell in love with several different fictional characters
-started college with a very disappointing first semester.
-didn't visit my grandma as much (coolest person in the world) because my idiot relatives put her in an old person's home even though she DOESN'T belong there, they just don't want to deal wither her.

I think that's about it. Not much really happened.

Oh I forgot to say what I'm looking forward to in 09. . .
I haven't really thought about it much. Life just kinda goes on here.
I'm looking forward to seeing the ocean again.
. . .
I think that's it. How pathetic.

Abbot Peter
January 2nd, 2009, 08:40 PM
In 2008...

- I broke up with a girl I realized I really liked
- I almost died
- I almost got hit by a car
- I realized how much I hate my math teacher (Whos still my teacher)
- I went to a dance in which I met a girl but forgot to get her number *palm smack*
- I saw some great movies
- I almost killed someone (in a fight)
- I got suspended from school
- I made the honor roll
- I was somewhat forced into a relationship, but was too nice to the girl to break up with her
- I broke up with a girl I met in the forced relationship
- I had rumors spread about me by some annoying kid
- I ignored them, and in my new school year, no one liked that kid, and I have a lot of friends

Yea... 2008 really sucked for me...