PDA

View Full Version : Fish

redwallfan91
May 9th, 2009, 12:04 PM
So, I'm going to celebrate finishing school forever by setting up an aquarium with some fish in my room. They say water like that and fish relieve stress...plus I think they are really cool anyway and have wanted them for a while. I posted a poll with this to make it more interesting, but here's the thing.

I've found lots of info online about what to do, what kinds to get, how to care for them, but is anyone here experienced? Anyone have advice about getting fish? I've owned goldfish before, but I don't want something like that; I want hardier fish, bigger fish, etc. I've a 55 gallon octagonal aquarium, and that's the other question: anyone here know exactly what I'll need? I'm compiling a list and taking an exploratory trip to PetSmart today to check things out, but I'd love to hear any opinions about fish.

And while we're at it, what do you think of them as aquarium pets?

Mackinsie
May 9th, 2009, 09:50 PM
I've had all different kinds of fish over a number of years. I got my first fish tank when I was 2 year old. I had normal aquarium fish in that tank, but other than Mollies and Tetras I can't really remember much about the fish. They were my pets, but not my responsibility. I just "helped". :)

For about the last ten years or so, I've had Betta splendens which are also called Siamese Fighting Fish. They are a fun fish because they each have such unique personalities. Bettas each need their own individual tank because the males fight one another (most often to the death). They aren't good for a community tank like the one you are interested in, though.

I haven't been to this site in awhile, but they had a lot of information and advice when a few of my Bettas were sick. Most of the people are pretty knowledgeable and you can probably find enough info there to let you know what you need. PetFish.net Forums (http://www.petfish.net/forum/index.php)

The first thing you need to do is test your water so you'll know how to treat it. You can buy a test kit at the fish store or most stores will test a sample of your tap water for you and then help you figure out how to neutralize your water.

Once you have that information, you can start looking into specific fish. Someone at the fish store would probably be better at that than me, but there are fish that thrive at certain temperature levels and in certain water conditions. You want to make sure that all your fish will be happy in the same tank.

When selecting the "decorations" for your tank, try to pick silk plants because the plastic plants can sometimes have rough edges that can tear fins (this is a big deal with Bettas because they have such big tails/fins). Also check any castles, etc. for rough edges and make sure any holes are large enough for your biggest fish to swim through. You don't want anybody getting stuck!

Good luck! :D

LordTBT
May 9th, 2009, 10:20 PM
I love to eat them. :lol: Sorry.

Ferahgo the Assassin
May 9th, 2009, 10:33 PM
I love to eat them. :lol: Sorry.
I almost posted that, but didn't want to come off as an insensitive jerk. ;)

I've had a couple fish before, but never really had more than a passing interest in the hobby. I had a red Betta in middle school named Theodore who lasted around a year before heading off to sunnier toilet bowls. A few years ago my father got really into it - cleaned up a huge old tank he had, bought a bunch of different kinds of fish, and took meticulous care of them. They're fun to watch, but not terribly interesting to me beyond that.

That said, I didn't vote in the poll, because there is no "eh, they're okay" option. :p

redwallfan91
May 17th, 2009, 12:12 PM
I've had all different kinds of fish over a number of years. I got my first fish tank when I was 2 year old. I had normal aquarium fish in that tank, but other than Mollies and Tetras I can't really remember much about the fish. They were my pets, but not my responsibility. I just "helped". :)

For about the last ten years or so, I've had Betta splendens which are also called Siamese Fighting Fish. They are a fun fish because they each have such unique personalities. Bettas each need their own individual tank because the males fight one another (most often to the death). They aren't good for a community tank like the one you are interested in, though.

I haven't been to this site in awhile, but they had a lot of information and advice when a few of my Bettas were sick. Most of the people are pretty knowledgeable and you can probably find enough info there to let you know what you need. PetFish.net Forums (http://www.petfish.net/forum/index.php)

The first thing you need to do is test your water so you'll know how to treat it. You can buy a test kit at the fish store or most stores will test a sample of your tap water for you and then help you figure out how to neutralize your water.

Once you have that information, you can start looking into specific fish. Someone at the fish store would probably be better at that than me, but there are fish that thrive at certain temperature levels and in certain water conditions. You want to make sure that all your fish will be happy in the same tank.

When selecting the "decorations" for your tank, try to pick silk plants because the plastic plants can sometimes have rough edges that can tear fins (this is a big deal with Bettas because they have such big tails/fins). Also check any castles, etc. for rough edges and make sure any holes are large enough for your biggest fish to swim through. You don't want anybody getting stuck!

Good luck! :D

Thanks, Mackensie! I've got the equipment, found some very, very helpful people at PetSmart (how I love that store), and the water is running right now. Tomorrow afternoon, I'll get my starter fish to begin the cycle. I selected a nice decoration, with safe edges and big holes. The plants are good too. Hopefully after the fish get settled, sometime in the Autumn I can get a live plant or two. Should have three or four danios or rasboras tomorrow...though I haven't decided/figured out which are the best to begin with.

Bladeswift
May 17th, 2009, 01:37 PM
On large fish: make sure you keep the lid openings weighed down with something relatively heavy. (Decorative stones or plants work fine.) We had an Oscar (cleverly named Oscar, courtesy of my mother) who would repeatedly leap from the tank, knock open the plastic cover and land on the floor. One day he did this while everyone was out of the house. We found his black shriveled body on the carpet hours later. The first and only time I've ever felt sorry for a fish.

When you have more than one fish, especially of varying sizes, make sure they're all getting fed. The larger ones will sometimes bully the others away from the surface as you drop the pellets in the tank. Sometimes this means the fish get fed more than they need, but better that than having them starve.

Also, I like tilapia. Blackened. Coated in cayenne pepper and paprika.

Ferahgo the Assassin
May 17th, 2009, 03:54 PM
One day he did this while everyone was out of the house. We found his black shriveled body on the carpet hours later. The first and only time I've ever felt sorry for a fish.

That's very sad. And not at all comical. Nope. Not at all.

Also, I like tilapia. Blackened. Coated in cayenne pepper and paprika.
I'm personally rather partial to beer-battered haddock with fries, m'self.

Sagrived Switpaw
May 25th, 2009, 10:53 PM
My fish have been good to me ever since I was naught but a lad. While were on the topic, anyone ever play Insaneaquarium by chance? *bubble*

Goddess of Darkness
May 25th, 2009, 11:17 PM
While were on the topic, anyone ever play Insaneaquarium by chance? *bubble*
Evil game. Evil, evil, evil, evil...