PDA

View Full Version : Mountain biking

PiarasJ
June 22nd, 2003, 06:03 AM
Does anyone here ride at all? If no ones interested in that, what other sports do you do? (As if anyone could not be interested in mountain biking...pah)

Rillflag27
June 22nd, 2003, 03:54 PM
I dont ride bikes that much anymore
#1. I have flipped way too many times getting tons of stitches and scratches
#2. I have fallen off way too many times
#3. My bike is broken

I really need a new bike then I can get back to doing my tricks. I do rollerblade alot getting pretty good. Other than that I dont do anything else except read Redwall.

VanessaNB
June 22nd, 2003, 04:06 PM
I like bike riding...most of the trails around here are pretty rough, but not as dramatic as you get in commercials:p It'd be even better if my bike didn't want me to kill it so badly *growls at bike*
*bike growls back*
Uh oh...

Lord Servone
June 22nd, 2003, 05:46 PM
I like bike riding...however, there is no place around here to go riding...so I don't. *shrugs*

LadyBeelze
June 22nd, 2003, 06:18 PM
I like mountian biking but i haven't gone forever. Right now my bike has flat tires and i haven't bothered to get out the pump. meh

PiarasJ
June 23rd, 2003, 03:06 AM
Wow, I didn't think anyone would be interested. :) What do you all ride? Good bikes are so expensive, I've got one of the cheapest you can get that has front shocks, so I dont feel bad about throwing it around too much! There are heaps of tracks around our house and they're heaps good for riding, they had a competition there a while ago with a bunch of pro's, that would have been great to watch, but I didn't know it was on at the time. :mad:

Keyla
June 23rd, 2003, 04:28 AM
Although I don't mountain bike I thought I might contribute a vaguely amusing but more likely concerning anecdote from my past, which explains why I don't: one day my dad decided that he, my brother and I should ride along a bit of the Thames near London, I think near Hampton Court (quite why I'm not sure: there are plenty of bike trails nearer than driving for two hours for what was ultimately only a one hour or so ride). Anyway, so to get bike there we strapped them to the back of the car on a bike rack thing and off we went down the motorway until we were stopped by some policemen saying that they couldn't see the number plate for the bike, so we made a number plate on a piece of card and stuck it on the back. We had a nice enough bike ride and set off home after put the bike back on the bikerack. After about a hour my dad got this strange feeling of something being missing, only to find out that my bike had fallen off the bike rack, onto the motorways behind us. When we got home we phoned the police and fortunately no-one was hurt. A police motorbike went along to try and find it so that it could be removed from the road so as to prevent congestion and any potential accidents, but it had just disappeared.
Well okay it's not a very good story but it's the reason I don't have a bike and therefore can't mountainbike :( , though I'd be rubbish at it anyway.

VanessaNB
June 23rd, 2003, 05:10 PM
My bike is kinda cheap, I have to keep on tightening the brakes. I would hit the brakes at the head of my driveway and measure how far it took for me to stop. Usually in the yard behind the house. Mind that my driveway isn't very long, and once you get to the end you only have to turn to the left to get in the back yard. Still kinda dissapointing. And the gear keeps..jumping or something. Mostly going uphill, it'll kinda jump and make it hard to pedal, I can't describe it. Anyone got ideas?
All the tracks around here are four wheeler trails going back in the woods, and some are big enough for trucks and cars, so we've got room to run around. Plus most of the peoples my age are busy with other things...

Furrtil
June 23rd, 2003, 07:23 PM
I haven't been bike riding in a long time, and I didn't do much mountain biking. My dad used to a lot, but then again my dad did wierd things like ice climbing and mountain climbing and cross-country skiing, and getting stuck in a blizzard on the side of a mountain.

As for sports, me... Well, I cross-country ski in the winter, and I dance, and I guess I swim in the summer, but nothing fancy.

Grath87
June 23rd, 2003, 07:57 PM
I used to do a lot of mountain biking when I was in grade 7 with my friend Adam. He owns one of the best bikes out there, a Stinky 5, if some of you know what that is!

The best trick I could do was a catwalk followed by riding off of a 4 foot drop ( I didn't have shocks so that's the most I could do on my bike.)

~Kathryn

PiarasJ
June 24th, 2003, 04:49 AM
What's a catwalk? It sounds tricky, I've never really tried tricks like that, I mainly do downhill riding because the tracks around here are good for it. Vanessa, it sounds like your chain is slipping on the sprocket, you can usually fix that by spraying the chain and the sprockets all over with crc or wd40 or some other lubricant. Should help, if not- ask someone else. ;)

Nora the Rover
June 24th, 2003, 10:51 AM
I used to have a really nice mountain bike, even though it was rather cheap, it worked quite well. My little sister, who is an annoying jerk alot of the time, constantly bugged me because she didn't have a bike herself. (She could've gotten one, but she couldn't find one she liked :rolleyes: ). She often stole my bike, and we would fight over it alot, (She's my only sibling, so there's alot of competition between us.)
Finally, my mom got so fed up, that she sold my mountain bike without my consent. I was angry for weeks... At least I still have my rollerblades, though...
I enjoy archery, alot. It's one of my favourite sports. I have an old longbow and a bunch of new practice arrows. I practice alot at my grandma's house, she has alot of property. If I were to practice on my back lawn, the neighbors would probably call the police on me, (As I've learned from past experience...)

Grath87
June 24th, 2003, 01:55 PM
A catwalk is a wheely but you turn your handlebars right or left while doing so. It's harder to keep your balance, but looks way cool! hah

~Kathryn

VanessaNB
June 24th, 2003, 04:10 PM
I've actually tried to take my bike elsewhere...they screwed up my gears! Put it into low gear, which makes the chain slide faster or whatever, but it makes it hard to go uphill. And it didn't make the sprocket slip any less. I'll try that, Piaras.
*mutters about Wilson's Home Hardware* Gnarr.

PiarasJ
June 25th, 2003, 03:54 AM
haha wicked, I can sort of do that (I've never thought of turning the handlebars for aesthetics ;) ) except I always slam the front wheel down way hard which isnt too great for a bike.

That should help your bike if it's just clicking a little bit, but it sounds like you need the gears adjusted if they're worse than that.

I went for a ride with a friend a while ago, and he suggested to ride down this heaps long trail that crosses a gorge on a suspension bridge and then heads back in a circle (through town covered in mud) back to my house. We'd both walked the tracks when we were little, but we didn't remember just how many stairs there were on either side of the gorge, so we had to carry our bikes down about fifteen flights of steps cut into the cliff side, and then when we finally got to the bridge, there was a sign saying "NO BIKES ALLOWED" right at the bottom. But by golly we weren't about to climb all the way home, so we crossed the bridge- and were faced with another fifteen flights of steps up the other side. We got some weird looks climbing up, that's for sure. :cool: