PDA

View Full Version : RPs

Dannflower Reguba
June 22nd, 2003, 06:37 PM
I don't want to revive a dead discussion if this has already taken place. I don't know, so don't hate me.

Would it ever be possible to do a forum Redwall Roleplay? I mean, a serious one, with serious writers. Not "and SCarface slahsed teh Rat;s fase fer HUGE damaje!", but those who write in novel format who stay true to BJ's Redwall, for the most part. Obviously a grey character may peek in there now and then (I know I just can't help it! ;)), but nothing found in Slagar's "The Worst Fanfic Ever".

I know of a few good writers from my short time here at TLP forums. Nora the Rover, Martin the Warrior (obviously ;)), and others.

Is this a possibility?

Dannflower Reguba
June 23rd, 2003, 02:54 PM
Oh, whoops. I wanted to post this in the General Discussion board. Accidents do happen, I suppose. Movination, anyone?

VanessaNB
June 23rd, 2003, 05:55 PM
Doubt it...this isn't really an RP forum. Though I don't know how Martin would react if we had one RP thread going, just for fun...

...actually, I've never RPed. *is shamed*

Keyla
June 24th, 2003, 11:11 AM
I haven't RPed either and I'm even more shamed than you as I don't really understand how people role-play. Is it similar to "Questors Bold" with each person having a character but perhaps with smaller chunks done each and not a competition or do people do or say something then wait for the next person to do or say something. I reckon neither of these sound correct, so it is now my turn to let out a plee for help: somebody, please explain redwall roleplaying to me.

Dannflower Reguba
June 24th, 2003, 03:14 PM
*Puts on costume reminiscent of Frick's in Merlin when he's writing "fairy tales".*

First thing's first, this is not DnD. For the most part, it's writing sections of a novel. In RP forums, you usually make it so anyone up to # can join, since there's so many out there. But here, where there would be only one, we'd figure out who would be in it based on writing talent. Note, though, you don't have to be BJ himself, but you have to write in novel format. No "Vermin: Grah! Dumb animal! Mouse: You'll pay for that!" allowed! Each person usually chooses a character that he or she would enjoy playing as. We should try to stay away from "Mary Sues". Even though each player controls their own char, that doesn't stop other people from writing about that char. Don't worry if it sounds confusing, I'll supply a site later.

Now this isn't a "guess what the other players are thinking sort of thing". There are posts that are mainly for conversation, talking about what's going to happen, what you want to happen, concerns you may have, and conversation that has nothing to do with the story at all! The writing group becomes an alliance of friends, essentially. Obviously, at work you don't talk about work 100% of your time. But enough of that. Just because you talk doesn't mean you have to give away everything. You can still surprise the others with plot twists. Trust me, it's fun!

One last note. I don't want this to become a "Well BJ wouldn't do that..." story. We need to realize a few facts. One, this won't be published. Two, BJ'll probably never see it. Three, it's all about having fun and raising your skill as a writer! If you maybe have too many plot twists, that's okay! If you stick in maybe a few too many grey chars, that's okay too. Remember, it's all about having fun.

http://www.thegodzilla.tk/

The Dawn of Time and Sins of the Past are part 1 and part 2 of a forum RP that I worked on. (I'm DragonMasterHawk or Hawk.) You can definately see how my writing has improved over time. At least I can, after rereading it. Part 3 is being created as we speak, but I'm not a part of it, mainly because it shifted from fantasy to technology with guns and whatnot. And that's perfectly alright for some stuff (FF7 to be exact.), but I don't enjoy writing about it.

I hope that answered some of your questions.

Dannflower Reguba
June 28th, 2003, 04:14 PM
*Sits at a desk cradling a cup of coffee and chewing on a pen, looking from side to side in a paranoid manner.*

Is that a no? Is anyone interested?

Keyla
June 28th, 2003, 04:58 PM
I would be interested, but it depends on the time consumption factor.

Dannflower Reguba
June 28th, 2003, 05:05 PM
Well, that varies from time to time. Mostly, you post when you want to, and don't when you don't. There are sometimes lulls in the writing, where no one's in a real "writing mood". Still, this may or may not work out, I really have no idea. I just though it would be a nice exercize. I'd want Martin's approval, though.

Furrtil
June 28th, 2003, 06:52 PM
I'd like to try it, as long as the commitment wouldn't be that big.

Dannflower Reguba
June 28th, 2003, 07:10 PM
Of course. This is really a big experiment. You can really post around your own schedule. Though if we lose too many people, it kinda dies. But that all depends on how into it we end up being.

Tazzin
July 26th, 2003, 03:52 PM
I think its an awesome idea. I love rping, it can be really fun. Role playing is good for your writing skills and insperation. It doesn't really take alot of commitment or anything like that. If any rping thing is started then i'll be first (or perhaps secound if someone eles gets there first) to join....except that im going on vacation in 3 days. oh well good luck