PDA

View Full Version : Mixing good and evil.

Keyla
June 23rd, 2003, 01:30 PM
No, this is not what it sounds like. I am not doing a pole on grey characters. "Outcast of Redwall" and "(The) Taggerung" have been described as "flipsides" of eachother, one evil species brought up by the good, the other good species brought up by evil, but which way round works best for you and which did it better?

Dannflower Reguba
June 23rd, 2003, 02:52 PM
Outcast of Redwall. (The) Taggerung was good, but I believe Outcast did it better. It seems to me that Veil, even though he had his evil side prominent, still cared for Bryony. Whereas Tagg completely forsook the Sawney tribe the moment he was confronted with his dilemma.

Martin the Warrior
June 27th, 2003, 02:47 PM
I'd have to fall on the side of 'Outcast' as well. It's hard to judge accurately, though, as we were able to see Veil's life inside Redwall whereas we only saw Tagg when he was opposing Sawney. But, overall I got a better sense of the conflict with Veil than with Tagg.

Keyla
June 27th, 2003, 03:07 PM
After letting a few opinions fall before I state mine I will say "Outcast of Redwall". I felt "(The) Taggerung"'s strength lay in other areas, Nimbalo and Madd being key highlights for me. More time was spent seeing Veil in Redwall than Tagg among the Juskarath, so we saw it more clearly. I think also Veil's presence in the abbey distilled opinion a great deal more, whereas in "(The) Taggerung" almost everyone other than Sawney Rath seemed to dislike Tagg. In addition Veil's nature was more ambiguous.

VanessaNB
June 27th, 2003, 05:12 PM
Outcast, by far. Veil was only a side character, but he's more complex, I guess.
Tagg was just, "I was raised by a band of evil people, but I'm an otter, so somehow I act perfect". No matter who or what you are, most people act something like the ones who raised them. His way of dealing with Madd is hardly vermin-y to me. Now Nimbalo, here's a mouse with intrigue. He was great!
Veil acted evil, but he did his bit in the end (to me). Mean ole Bryony, acting like that afterwords...crazy Redwallers.

Mariel StormRider
February 15th, 2004, 01:42 AM
while I liked Tagg as a character, I do feel it was a little unrealistic how he wasn't at all like a vermin. If he was captured only a few days after being born, how would he remember anything but the vermin who raised him, espessially since he was obedient at first to Sawney Rath. But then again, all teenagers start to think for themselves:lol: :lol: :lol: I;m a teenager so go us!!!