PDA

View Full Version : The Redwall Newsline Relaunches

Martin the Warrior
February 24th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Hi, guys!

Well, I've said I was redesigning the sites for awhile. I'm sure those comments were greeted with more than a little skepticism. ;) I'm proud to say, though, that the latest incarnation of The Redwall Newsline just went live.

Take a look. (http://newsline.longpatrolclub.com)

I just finished migrating everything over from the development folder and I believe I've taken care of all the image/database path issues that arose, but since it's essentially a new site built around a new system, I'm counting on you guys to let me know if something isn't working.

The Newsline is now powered by WordPress, which allows for local storage of news articles, which means I won't be utilizing the Newsline forum as often to post articles. If something big happens, I'll still stick a note/link in there so you'll see it as you browse the forum, but it will no longer serve as the article database.

The new platform has added article-commenting functionality, something I never envisioned back when the site first launched. A user's first comment has to undergo approval, but once they're cleared all subsequent comments are automated. There's also an RSS feed and integrated Twitter functionality, so you can tweet articles or follow @RedwallNewsline to receive updates.

I backfilled the last five Newsline articles as a start to building the archive, the idea is to eventually add all former articles, so that's something you can expect to see happen over a period of time.

The Long Patrol redesign is coming. I'm less-inclined to have something like WordPress power it, but it'll hopefully turn out just as nice. That probably won't happen till summer, though.

I'm really happy with how the site turned out, but always welcome feedback. Let me know what you think. ;)

Ferahgo the Assassin
February 24th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Wow! Talk about a serious overhaul. It looks great, Martin - sorry I don't have much critique at the moment. Major improvement.

Martin the Warrior
February 24th, 2011, 11:58 PM
Thanks, Ferahgo. I appreciate it. It's been in the works for awhile-- the decision to move to something like WordPress was made back in '08 or so-- but I wanted to familiarize myself with it behind the scenes/practice theme customization before taking it live. I looked into a few other platforms, too, but WP worked best.

I'm very happy with the new look, although I admit I have a certain nostalgia for the previous theme. And when I think of how the site has grown from its early days (http://web.archive.org/web/19981206155829/http://members.aol.com/m3may/upcoming.html)... what a long, eventful trip its been. Still, the realities of web content in this day and age requires adaptation, so I think the new look will serve us well. (New Rogue Crew post earlier today, incidentally... resisting the urge to post it in the Newsline forum. ;) )

Lyrian Aryns
February 25th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Ooh, shiny. I like it.

I'm not much of a twitter user, but I appreciate the RSS feed.