PDA

View Full Version : Modem...

dandin1
July 9th, 2003, 12:54 PM
We had a storm last friday and it burnt my modem.... I just noticed how I can't live the the internet! I'm using a library computer right now, they just installed this big system ith loging on stuff, filtering, reserving by computer, and tons of users agreement that pop-up every where. The keyboard doesn't work well, some keys get stuck. Arg! I have to press a bunch of times just to make a dot appear! :( :( :mad:

Madd The Sane
July 9th, 2003, 04:20 PM
What! not surged protected! Like I should talk. My phone line isn't safe from overloads, either. :lol: Be grateful it was just your modem. If the modem was even atached from a serial cable to your computer you would be in trouble, but I'm guessing that the modem's in a PCI slot. You should have no problem replacing the card. If, on the other hand, it is connected to the motherboard and is in there pretty secure, you can still just get another modem and put it in a PCI slot, but it still will be in there, and your computer may still try to use it. *Babbling* You will have to manually configure your computer to make it work.

dandin1
July 10th, 2003, 02:43 PM
My modem is an external modem connected to

Madd The Sane
July 11th, 2003, 09:39 AM
Good! you should be able to get a new modem easily. depending on the age of the computer, I would reccomend that you get an internal modem, because the speed may be a bit faster, not to mention you could get a v.96 (I think they're up that high) modem. :)

dandin1
July 14th, 2003, 02:53 PM
Whoops! Didn<t have enough time to finish the message... What I was about to say:

My modem is an external DSL modem connected to my router, not my computer, and I've never seen a internal DSL modem... If they exist, i'm praying that's not what I get. I don't own the modem. My ISP leases it, so if it breakes I don't have to get a new one, I just Have to call them, listen to these long boring recorded messages, press numbers, type my account ID, phone number, tell the guy where I live. Then he tells me that he has to do a bunch of stuff that I already did a few times, then after 15 mins he tells me that there sending a new modem. A week after, I still don't have my modem. I call them and they say they sent it to the wrong adress... oh boy.... still waiting, UNpatiently.

As for my modem, it is on a surge protected powerbar. The only problem is the phone line... I could'nt find a second phone cable, so I just plugged it straight to the phone jack....