PDA

View Full Version : What next?

Treerose
July 20th, 2003, 03:28 PM
I think it's been a while since we had a thread on this topic...

So, little by little, all those long-anticipated projects/hoped-for projects of BJ's are materializing: the story of Loamhedge, a non-Redwall series, the Redwall cookbook, BJ's autobiography, etc. What other things would people like to see BJ cover in the future?

I do want him to be taking things easy and not overworking himself, so my wish list is one project long (albeit one I've been longing for for years). <g> I would most of all love to see a collection of BJ's songs and poems set to music - I read on Ask Brian that he has his own melodies for his poetry, so a book of his songs and melodies, perhaps illustrated by Christopher Denise or David Wyatt, would be just lovely. :) I don't know if he can read music (being a jack of all trades, I bet he can, though), but he could even just sing the songs into a tape recorder, and somebody else (me! me! me! :lol: ) could transcribe it. It would be so wonderful to have the official melodies when we read those rollicking corsair and shrew ballads, Rose's songs, the Long Patrol anthem, etc. :D

Anyway, any other thoughts?

Tree

~~~~

"One has a nose. The nose scents and it chooses. An artist is simply a kind of pig snouting truffles."

~Igor Stravinsky~

....yeah, well, that quote will certainly ground anybody who has thoughts about music being such a high calling, etc. Maybe that's why Toscanini called himself a pig. ;)

Keyla
July 21st, 2003, 02:25 AM
I take it you're talking about projects in additional to the tales, as there's already a thread for them.

I agree that a song book would be could, though he may not like having to go through his books and trying to remember all the tunes. It might feel to him like he'd be retracing his steps.
He used to be a playwrite (sp?) so perhaps he could do an adaption of one of his tales for the stage. The only problem with this is in how much the audience has to suspend reality to believe that the people on stage are actually woodlanders. Of course it has been done before (such as in the Redwall Opera), but I find it hard to imagine a small scale production being done as it would be very difficult to stage such moments as Asmondues (sp?) breaking through and the seige tower burning without having it look utterly fake. But I can still dream.
I have a feeling that his autobiography will focus mostly on his younger days, partially to keep out all the things that happened to him once he went off when he was 15; I can imagine some of these being quite frightening for the members of his audience. Perhaps he will write the next bit to it, as Maya Angelou did (I use this as an example as it's the only autobiography I've ever read), but then again he might not for the reason I gave for not including it in the first one.
This is not so much a project only for Brian but for his publishers: an updated Redwall Map and Riddler. With the release of "Loamhedge" I would guess the location of the ruins and consequently what was Malkaris will be much more definately set allowing it to be put on the map. I would like to see, perhaps, more than just one map. How about one for the area surrounding Redwall, and Salamandastron too. I would perhaps like some riddles written for the riddler itself but still refering to locations, characters and traditions in the books.
Vaguely linked to this would like to see, when the "Tribes of Redwall" line has been exhausted, a "Vermin of Mossflower" series much like ToR but for the vermin.
However, above all of this rides my hunger for a new tale.

Treerose
July 21st, 2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Keyla
I take it you're talking about projects in additional to the tales, as there's already a thread for them.

There is? Oh... I looked through both pages here in Books before I posted, but I guess I missed it. So I guess this thread can be for new side projects, then. <g>

A stage adaption of a Redwall tale could be neat - most plays have to get around portraying stuff that isn't there or isn't realistic (hence, in Henry V, the Chorus asks the audience to "think, when we talk of horses, that you see them", and "into a thousand parts divide each man", and picture the vast battlefields of France in their little "cockpit" of a stage, etc.), so that shouldn't be too much of a barrier.

Tree

~~~~

no time for quotes, the computer keeps losing its connection to the Internet...

Calantorntain
July 21st, 2003, 03:44 PM
I would like a Redwall CD. Not the one with the music from the show (although that would be nice) but it would have songs from the books (or songs not from the books) sung. And stuff.

VanessaNB
July 21st, 2003, 04:27 PM
What'll happen when the supply of good guys runs out for ToR? The vermin are all grouped as one. There's otters and badgers and mice, but then it's just "vermin". Not stoat or fox. *snort*

Martin the Warrior
July 31st, 2003, 09:55 PM
Where was this? The only times I've seen "Vermin" used has been in the same context as "Woodlander". Certainly not as a replacement for individual species names (if it was BJ wouldn't even bother specifying Cluny was a rat, etc.). Or did I overlook something? :confused:

VanessaNB
August 3rd, 2003, 02:27 PM
If someone standing on the ramparts saw an otter and a mole coming up the path, they'd holler that an otter and a mole are coming. If it were a fox and a stoat, it'd be, here come the vermin!
Goodbeast species each have their own favorite dish, vermin all like the same thing. Apparently.

Must leave, eat supper.

Airemia
August 7th, 2003, 01:17 PM
Well I guess if you were standing on the ramparts of Redwall, and a fox and a stoat were strolling up the lane towards the abbey, it'd probably be more important that there were indeed vermin approaching Redwall, and the fact that it's a stoat and a fox doesn't really matter.

Slagar the Cruel
August 8th, 2003, 08:20 PM
The more I think about it, Tree's idea of setting the poems from the Redwall books to music (ala the Tolkien Ensemble) is great. Perhaps it could be performed by a "Jacques Ensemble"? ;)