PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an expert

PiarasJ
August 4th, 2003, 07:58 PM
For graphic design I'm making a clock in the shape of a seahorse, with the clockface on his belly and I want to make his tail swing like a pendulum in time with the ticks and tocks, but I dont know if I can get a pendulum mechanism, does anyone feel like showing off their expertise in clockwork so I can get it to work? By the time I have answers I'll prolly have a mechanism anyway, but I thought I'd ask in case someone had any brilliant ideas. Yes that is an odd request, but ah well.

I'm doing a childrens book about a seahorse called Charlie, so I thought I'd incorporate it into my graphics work to kill two birds with one stone. I dont know why I thought of a clock, it'll be fun though. :)

dandin1
August 5th, 2003, 09:27 AM
*Tries to understand* So you mean you are searching for something that will make the seahorse tail go back and fourth, nevermind the clock? Or are you searching for an entire clock mechanism? Or do you already have the clock and just want a pendulum?
If it's the last one, then search inside the clock mechanism. You should find a wheel that turns back and fourth(seconds) Attach that to the tail, using a rubber band. But i'm not sure that will work, it might screw up the clock speed.
If it's the second one, just buy a clock and modify it. Or find one in the garbage.
If it's the first one, then try searching inside old electronics. Some old TVs got a timer, Once again, search for the rotating wheel.

PiarasJ
August 6th, 2003, 01:50 AM
Gee, I didn't think anyone would be able to help me. Thanks, I think I can get a proper pendulum mechanism now anyway though, if I can't I might try the rubber band idea, I wasn't sure if that was possible or not.

Russus Robur
August 10th, 2003, 12:05 PM
You may want to try a hobby shop like “Hobby Lobbies”, “Franks Nursery and Craft”, or “Jo Ann Fabric” for the clock parts like pendulums and other moving clock parts. And if you are close to a large Wal-Mart, Lowes or Home Depot they sometime carry craft and hobby items. I do some woodwork and crafts like making clocks and lamps, and usually find what I need at one of those stores.;)

PiarasJ
August 12th, 2003, 03:19 AM
Ah right, thanks, I've found a mechanism now, 'cept it costs $10 on top of $10 for a plain clock mechanism...argh, what a price to pay for good marks.