PDA

View Full Version : Wolves

Slagar the Cruel
November 3rd, 2002, 07:42 PM
What do YOU think about wolves? Should they be added to the Redwall series?

I'll say... no. No, no, definately, no! Well, at least not acting like some normal vermin chap, just the same size as everyone else... do you know how HUGE a wolf would be compared to a mouse?! They'd be twice as big as badgers... it's too much of an imbalance. Maybe if they were to appear as a "neutral" sort of species... like the lizards have been lately. Or like lobsters. I dunno, they should probably just be left out.

Cale Yin
November 3rd, 2002, 07:45 PM
I think that, within their packs, they should be loner mercenary type chaps.

Lyrian Aryns
November 3rd, 2002, 08:14 PM
Yeah, I agree... or nonsided bad characters like the adders.

Lord Servone
November 3rd, 2002, 08:29 PM
I'm kind of indifferent towards wolves in Redwall...I think the pelt that Urgan has is enough of an appearance for wolves...however, if they do appear, I think they should be a mysterious character, maybe unknown what allegiances they hold (good? evil? I dunno! Nobeast knows! Muah ha ha ha ha ha!).

Glenner
November 3rd, 2002, 08:41 PM
Absolutely YES. Wolves are just supremely cool. :cool:
And when you think abiout it, the wildcats are humungous compared to the mice as well.

Cale Yin
November 3rd, 2002, 08:46 PM
Yeah. And what about seals? And dolphins? They're huge as well.

Glenner
November 3rd, 2002, 08:47 PM
*nods* Good point.

Slagar the Cruel
November 3rd, 2002, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Glenner
Absolutely YES. Wolves are just supremely cool. :cool:
And when you think abiout it, the wildcats are humungous compared to the mice as well. Er... aren't wildcats badger-sized? o_O

As for seals and dolphins... well, they're not walking around like mice, are they? :p

Airemia
November 3rd, 2002, 10:10 PM
If wolves were to appear, I think they should be EXTREMELY rare, and rather mystical. Sort of like dragons. Like they're these huge creatures that you practically never see and they're almost like a legend.

dandin1
November 4th, 2002, 08:14 AM
Wolves already appeared, and they ARE rare.

I don't think there should be more wolves.... It's like a dog in redwall.... And those animals are huge. And yes seals etc. are big, but they are in water!

MoonShadow
November 4th, 2002, 03:17 PM
Wolves... BJ's world for the most part black and white, with all of the vermin bad guys, and all of the goodbeasts good guys. There aren't much traitors from the good side to the bad side, or vice versa.

If wolves were to appear, I would really like it if they weren't a definite vermin or goodbeast. Just somewhere in between and untrustworthy since they often will betray a side if they do take one.

Cale Yin
November 4th, 2002, 05:21 PM
I disagree with Moonshadow. They should be quite loyal. Pack mentality. And some old wolves that are separated from any packs or banished and who are mercenaries. But very loyal to whomever they pledge themselves.

As for seals and dolphins... well, they're not walking around like mice, are they?

They're talking. :P If mice swam too, well... it would be the same or maybe it would be different. I don't know what I'm talking about. :P

Lady Terra
November 4th, 2002, 05:41 PM
I say ABSOLUTELY! Since this being a fantasy type book, I think there's a way he could pick out more of the smaller breeds of wolves or make them smaller. They would still be bigger than all the rest but not so much bigger that they would look intimidating and scare all of the others. I love wolves and would love to see them in Redwall books ^.^

Darkhood_343
November 4th, 2002, 06:00 PM
WOLVES ROCK if I wasn't a badger I'd be a wolf! LOL!

Slagar the Cruel
November 4th, 2002, 08:02 PM
They're talking. :P If mice swam too, well... it would be the same or maybe it would be different. I don't know what I'm talking about. :PThat's not what I meant. I meant, wolves would presumably be walking around like mice, which would cause an even bigger (no pun intended) size ratio problem than badgers - could wolves fit in a normal chair? Heck, could wolves fit in a normal ROOM? Seals don't have that problem - they're too greatly seperated from the lifestyle of the land-dwellers.

Cale Yin
November 5th, 2002, 12:17 AM
Oh. Well... Wolves could fly!! *splutters* Like a kangaroo. Yes.

Foxes are pretty big. Badgers are pretty big. Wolves wouldn't be all around with the woodlanders all the time. Just, like, a single or maybe two appereances. Like a secret weapon.

MoonShadow
November 5th, 2002, 11:10 AM
Well, I think somebody already mentioned this idea before, but wolves could appear as a "mythicall beast". But still, I would really like to see a creature that doesn't fit solidly into either "goodbeasts" and "badbeasts"....

I think that, within their packs, they should be loner mercenary type chaps.Well, that seems to fit my idea of a wolf as well....

Red Draco
November 6th, 2002, 12:34 PM
I agree that wolves should only be extremely mystical -- and set apart from the regular Redwall style of living -- or not appear at all. With the Redwall books, when I think of a giant animal, I think of the badger lords. It's an experience unique to the series. Wolves are a little overdone, anyway. They're cool, of course, but replacing badgers as the series' strongmen wouldn't be a good move.

Cale Yin
November 6th, 2002, 04:52 PM
It could maybe be a midget or deformed wolf. Or a puppy that escapes/runs away.

Dakota
November 8th, 2002, 11:39 AM
As long as they were used like a wildcat(sparingly, and impressively) it could be interested to have a wolf or two show up and wreak some havoc(before a badger put the smack down, naturally).

Cale Yin
November 8th, 2002, 04:47 PM
I just had this image flash across my mind of what would happen if we had a wolf in Redwall. It would wear off, and then the fans would start whining for tigers, and we'd get tigers, regardless of the fact that they live in India, and then the fans would want a giant polar bear, and then a blue whale, and then a Seraphim...

Glenner
November 8th, 2002, 08:41 PM
Thye don't have to show up in everybook. Maybe BJ could do it as just a one-time thing like with the moniters. Or maybe they could just be mythical creatures that are just mentioned, like some other people have said.
I mean, I won't keel over and die if BJ doesn't slap them in a book. If he doesn't want to, then thats fine.

The Red Badger
November 8th, 2002, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Cale Yin
I just had this image flash across my mind of what would happen if we had a wolf in Redwall. It would wear off, and then the fans would start whining for tigers, and we'd get tigers, regardless of the fact that they live in India, and then the fans would want a giant polar bear, and then a blue whale, and then a Seraphim...

You're forgetting that we've *had* wolves in Redwall. :D

And, personally, Ungatt Trunn looked rather "tiger-ish" on the UK cover to me. :rolleyes:

I say bring in the wolves. Obviously wolves are meant to be rather powerful, otherwise it wouldn't have been such a status symbol for Nagru to have the skin of one. I'd say the wolves would be a little more powerful than wildcats, putting them on par with or stronger than badgers (I consider wildcats lesser in strength to badgers). The good guys don't have to be stronger, they just have to be smarter. A moral right up BJ's alley.

Cale Yin
November 9th, 2002, 02:13 PM
Well, it wasn't a CHARACTER, unless I'm wrong which is quite possible because I haven't read that book in a few years, or a year, or something.

Pawflash
November 12th, 2002, 10:57 PM
Maybe wolves already are mystical like dragons...to the point that when people see an enormous fox frozen they think it's a wolf, take it's skin and declare themselves wolf slayers. After all, people thought dinosaurs were dragons for a while :rolleyes:

Cale Yin
November 13th, 2002, 05:19 PM
Maybe they really were. After all, the only thing they did was rename the dragons.
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other word would smell as sweet."
(William Shakespeare, to avoid being persecuted for plagiarism.)

And that which we call a dragon, by any other name would still breathe fire and remain in the hearts of Dragon-lovers. :p

Badrang
November 14th, 2002, 06:18 PM
I'd say that if we do have wolves in Redwall, they should be few and far between, but still exisitant. After all there was a wolf pelt in The Bellmaker .
Besides, how could I not want wolfies, after all my hyper, insane, dangerously-Mary-Sue obsession with a certain werewolf...

That's right, kiddies, I did just admit to having a flaming crush on Professor Remus J. Lupin. (from the third Harry Pottter, if y'don't know.)*cuddles* Iddn't he wunnerful? *giggles* Me's all hyper 'bout wofies today! Put 'em in Redwall, I say!

Bye-bye now.

~Redwaffle the wolfie-crazed fangirl, whose account is down so she's using Baddy's

P.S. -

Lupin's mine! Miiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

MoonShadow
November 14th, 2002, 06:21 PM
It could maybe be a midget or deformed wolf. Or a puppy that escapes/runs away.Or BJ could just "reduce" their size in his story. Think about the size of mice compared to the otters.

Wolves... well, I don't think that they should be appearing in every book, but one of those creatures that appear once-every-ten-books or something.... Like wildcats.

Darkhood_343
November 14th, 2002, 08:31 PM
I think that if there were they should be like the ermines in The Bellmaker. Like a last resort fot the bad guys. :D

Pawflash
November 15th, 2002, 05:03 PM
Well Caleyin, dinosaurs are still quite different from the most common concept of dragons- you know, the fire-breathing scaly things that fly around and wreak havoc on towns...

Anyhow, I'm still anti-wolf...dispite the fact that I'm basically a wolf fanatic IRL...I have a whole display of all my wolf statues and such :rolleyes:

Dakota
November 25th, 2002, 10:37 AM
Maybe there could be a wolf puppy that the Redwallers adopt. Then the wolf discovers that it's really a great warrior who's been prophesied about. That could be new and interesting. ;)

Madd The Sane
June 3rd, 2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Dakota
Maybe there could be a wolf puppy that the Redwallers adopt. Then the wolf discovers that it's really a great warrior who's been prophesied about. That could be new and interesting. ;)
It would be interesting. What would make it more interesting is if the prophicy came from the vermin.

Originally posted by Slagar the Cruel
Well, at least not acting like some normal vermin chap, just the same size as everyone else... do you know how HUGE a wolf would be compared to a mouse?! They'd be twice as big as badgers... it's too much of an imbalance.
What about the size issues with foxes? I thought that foxes were about the same size as wolves. :(

Glenner
June 3rd, 2003, 09:13 PM
No, they're about half the size of a wolf, and its true, they're HUGE compared to the rest of the animals already.

VanessaNB
June 4th, 2003, 04:40 PM
I guess I wouldn't mind a wolf. And foxes are *very* small compared to a wolf. I'm a wolf fanatic in real life, they're awesome.
As far a Redwall goes, tradition sez that wolves are bad guys. I could imagine a band of wolves, loyal to each other and no one else. But has anyone noticed how many people are including wolves in Redwall fanfictions? And badly? They're always dark brooding warriors with a mysterious past...and possibly a personality/loyalty conflict. Augh.
We've got hamsters and ferrets (both domestic animals), bring teh wolfies!

LadyBeelze
June 4th, 2003, 08:43 PM
wow i haven't noticed this post before *blink blink* where have i been!?
Anyway i'm all in for wolves being in redwall even if its a one time thing. I like the merenary idea too or if they were in a regular vermin horde they could like be assasinators, like take out the badger lord or the redwall champion and the horde does the rest with the conquering and all. hmmm i somewhat have a image in my head that wolves would be like marlfoxes disappearing within a flash. *shrugs* Another animal i'd like to see is a racoon ^^