PDA

View Full Version : LoTR: The Two Towers on home video

Madd The Sane
August 29th, 2003, 05:10 PM
What! Nothing about The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers being out on VHS and DVD! I am surprised! Has anyone got it yet? I do, but what I really want is The Two Towers extended edition. I missed the Ent-draught scene. I must wait until November for it to come out!

Lord Servone
August 29th, 2003, 11:49 PM
My brother got the regular edition. Haven't watched it yet. I'm waiting until the extended edition...

PiarasJ
August 30th, 2003, 02:32 AM
I haven't even seen the movies yet. I've read one of the books ages ago, but I can't remember which one, I think it was the first one. It must have taken so long to invent the language(s) and landscape and everything, must have been a pretty sharp tack.

Nora the Rover
August 30th, 2003, 09:39 AM
I got 'The Two Towers' on DVD, the preview for 'The Return of the King' is awesome. I've seen the FOTR extended edition, but TTT extended edition seems alot more interesting.

Rillflag27
August 30th, 2003, 11:21 AM
I want to get it but my dad thinks its a waste of money :(

LadyBeelze
August 30th, 2003, 11:47 AM
I'll get it sometime when i have money to spare or when the extended version comes out. *shrugs* I got 90 dollars right now but i've already made up my mind to spend it on something else.

Goozy
August 30th, 2003, 08:11 PM
I love saving money for college. *smirk*

Furrtil
August 31st, 2003, 01:34 PM
My friend and I were watching it. I'm sure they'll buy the extended version, too. They already have both soundtracks. They're quite into it.

Can't wait for Return of the King!

granola woodsworth
August 31st, 2003, 02:48 PM
I saw the extended version of the FotR a while ago...
I just got the Two Towers DVD! I've watched it twice already.
The preview for the Return of the King was awesome.

100! YAY!

Rillflag27
September 1st, 2003, 11:53 AM
YAY!!!! My bro got it for is b-day. the Return of the king preview was awesome!!!1 I really want to see the battle for Minis Tirath (sp)

Darkhood_343
September 1st, 2003, 05:17 PM
I got it for 17.99 on Tuesday at my Borders. Good stuff. I ddin't really like Sean Astins short film, "The Long and Short of It" that much. The RotK teaser was pretty cool, though I didnt see the whole thing. Oh and Rilf, it's Minas Tirith. Have you read the books?

Foremole
September 1st, 2003, 06:06 PM
I'm going to pre-order TTT EE gift set on dvd, thats what I did for FOTR. I rented TTT the day it came out and I still have it. If you have read the books or like the movies go to the website on my sig, sorry I don't know how to post a link.

Lyrian Aryns
September 1st, 2003, 08:13 PM
My mom went and bought it the first day it came out... I told her that there was an extended version coming out, that was going to be better, that we should just rent this one, that we don't really need a Frodo bobble head-thing and a free case of 7-up for buying the DVD, but do I get listened to? *shakes head* I know what's gonna be on my Christmas list.

But anyway, yeah, I sat down and watched most of it, though I haven't gotten around to the extras yet.

Rillflag27
September 1st, 2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Darkhood_343
Oh and Rilf, it's Minas Tirith. Have you read the books?

Nope, I started to read the RotK but it got boring so I stopped :)

Martin the Warrior
September 1st, 2003, 10:43 PM
I wonder... did anyone doubt that I'd get it? ;)

I wouldn't say home viewing has improved the movie any, though. It's the same thing I saw in theatres and the same thing I was rather disappointed with (as I'm sure some of you will remember). It's really a shame-- TTT's lackluster treatment has wound up affecting how much I'm looking forward to ROTK. Cautiously optimistic would best describe it. Not even close to how much I was anticipating TTT this time last year.

In any case, they had some good extras and it was nice to finally see some ROTK footage. And I rather enjoyed Sean Astin's film. ;)

That's as in-depth a review as you're going to get from me (contrast that with my review of the FOTR DVD last year).

Treerose
September 2nd, 2003, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by Martin the Warrior
I wonder... did anyone doubt that I'd get it? ;)

What, you, buying a DVD? No way! ;)

Tree

~~~~~

"When told that an eight year old Italian boy had gone to the U.S. to conduct orchestras, Sir Thomas declared:
'Who is responsible for this outrage? The child should be in kindergarten, sucking a lollipop. But I did once know an orang-outang who would open the door, put you to bed, and then play the piano for you.'"

~from [I]The Wit of Music]/I], by Leslie Ayre~

Foremole
September 4th, 2003, 07:38 PM
Hey did ya'll here about the ring movie fest? In about 100 theatres around America they're going to show the FOTR EE, TTT EE, and ROTK in a row on one day. Its going to be awsome.

Furrtil
September 4th, 2003, 07:42 PM
I can just picture my friend and her family going to do that, and me tagging along..... Well, we were going to do that when all the dvds came out, too. LOTR film fest! :D

Foremole
September 5th, 2003, 07:59 AM
I'm going to buy all the EE dvds so I'm going to do that too.

VanessaNB
September 5th, 2003, 04:46 PM
For once I bought something within days of it being released. Yay.
I never saw it in theatre...
It's a bit different from the first, as it keeps switching storylines, but I liked it. The Ents trashing Isengard and the battle of Helm's Deep were great. Gimli is hilarious. I'd say both movies were equal.

And you can't beat Gollum (Smeagol?) singing!

Darkhood_343
September 6th, 2003, 02:45 PM
Thanks for that info, Foremole. Cool avatar. ;)

granola woodsworth
September 6th, 2003, 10:55 PM
Hmm... I should find myself an avatar of these days... :D

Airemia
September 6th, 2003, 11:33 PM
Well Martin, *I* loved The Two Towers. And I figure that people get too worked up about them making changes from the books. I figure if you want to see the books, read the books! Well I guess I'm just one of those very few people who don't care much what they change, as long as Arwen doesn't wind up destroying the ring or something. :p

Treerose
September 8th, 2003, 02:30 PM
And I figure that people get too worked up about them making changes from the books. I figure if you want to see the books, read the books!

Speaking for myself, it’s not so much the changes themselves that bother me, Airemia – sure, diehard fans can bury themselves in the book and forget the movies exist. It’s the fact that almost all of the changes that have been made in the movies stem from the commercialization of the story, and highlight Jackson’s disregard for Tolkien’s vision. Especially TTT. It’s all about mass appeal and entertainment. Not enough women for the politically correct society of today? Aggrandize Arwen’s role! Not enough humor to keep people from getting bored? Add slapstick lines of your own! Don’t like a character/plotlet? Change it! Think Tolkien portrayed characters like Aragorn and the hobbits to be too homely? Use actors that will get box office appeal!

This is bad enough, but then it’s compounded and magnified by the fame and attention the movies have gotten. There has been such a huge amount of people who had never had any LotR exposure before this, and were introduced to Tolkien’s world by the movies – which would be a good thing, except all the invalid changes (the only valid ones I see being necessary cuts for film length, budget, etc) end up obscuring the draw and splendor of the real story. It drives the diehards like me crazy to see LotR trumpeted to the public like this with so many wrong or out of tune notes. ;) (In the first film, despite horrifying departures from the book, I felt Jackson hadn’t lost touch with LotR yet, and overall had done a very good job. TTT – another story.) And although the book is there, waiting to be read, instead of then turning to the real McCoy once their interests have been sparked by the films, all too many of the new fans haven't read/don’t care about the book, or actually prefer the movies, etc... So there we have it – a director who is turning out to basically do what he wants (I rather dread RotK now), a beloved world cut and patched for mass appeal, and the fact that LotR-by-Jackson seems to be more mainstream than what Tolkien actually wrote.

Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t a rant against anybody here. ;) I have nothing against new fans, I'm always encouraging people to read his books. It’s just that although LotR still speaks for itself, it’s being drowned out by the all the hype and commercialization, and it seems that too many people prefer the painting of the landscape rather than going to the actual landscape itself. It’s saddening, really - this is not what Tolkien would have wanted. He was amazed (unnerved, more like <g>) by the popularity of his books in America, waaay, way back before Orlando Bloom & Co were even born. ;) Today... I can't imagine how he'd feel. (Well, actually, I bet he wouldn't have okayed the movies unless he had a lot of say in what they were like. <g>)

A lot of people talk about the director’s freedom to do what he wants with the story… that’s a load of bantha fur to me. A director is like a conductor in many ways. Their job is to take the written word (or note) and make it come to life for an audience. That doesn’t mean they don’t have any artistic freedom, of course. A conductor’s freedom consists in how he interprets it – tempos, dynamics, etc. But he doesn’t change actual notes, or tear the composer’s vision into pieces. He doesn’t say, “You know, Beethoven really ignored the piccolo – I’m going to add in a fifth movement with a big picc part in the second symphony, sprinkle in some snazzy rhythms to keep people awake…” He’d be tarred and feathered in the music community, and rightly so. ;) Yet when a director does this to a book-turned-into-movie, it’s all in the name of "artistic freedom" and those who complain about the changes are in the wrong for being "too picky" or too "purist." A director can and should have freedom and interpretation in the set, the camera angles, the costumes, the lighting, how the lines are spoken, and so on. But when it comes to the actual story itself, especially a saga the scale, depth, and sheer genius of Tolkien’s, “because I want to” or “because I can” aren’t valid reasons to change anything.

Sorry for the length... I do seem to run on a lot whenever Tolkien comes up. :o

Tree

~~~~~

“My own position is that 'The Lord of the Rings' is peculiarly unsuitable to transformation into visual dramatic form.”

~Christopher Tolkien~

Yeah, I’m starting to agree with that now… <g>