PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Ball

Red Draco
September 1st, 2003, 07:13 PM
Canada just started a run of the original Dragon Ball (FINALLY) that's not the original dub (which stopped after 13 episodes). However, neither is it the Funimation dub. Apparently, the voices are Ocean Group, even though I don't recognise any of the voice actors in the end credits. Besides that, the censorship is a tad different (Goku's bare bum is censored, but Bulma wetting herself at the end of the first ep isn't) and so are the end credits.

Martin, you're always good at putting a label on this stuff ... do you have any information about this DB Canadian dub? It almost seems "lost". How romantic and mysterious. :)

Martin the Warrior
September 1st, 2003, 10:29 PM
I'm not familiar with any specifics for Dragon Ball's Canadian dub, but I know enough to venture a guess.

The story behind the Canadian dub is that FUNimation owns all North American rights to DBZ, but that doesn't extend over the pond. As such, a UK company called AB produced their own dub, but came to Canada and got all the old Ocean actors to reprise their roles (speaking of, I always wondered... did Kirby Morrow actually do a good job as Goku? I just have a tough time picturing it). Somehow, the UK dub filtered over into Canada, broadcast only, and that's what you watched.

When DBZ was over, AB continued right into DBGT, which I understand has already aired in-full in the UK. However, while they kept the Ocean Group involved, they did not keep the same actors. The voice-recording was turned over to Blue Water Productions, a sister-studio to Ocean. And so, while keeping the same general voice-studio, they've switched VAs completely.

So, if a new dub of Dragon Ball has appeared on Canadian TV, odds are that AB decided to tackle it once they'd finished GT and kept using the Blue Water actors.

The editing you describe pretty much falls in line with what was shown on the Cartoon Network run, with the FUNi cast. It'll be interesting to see if the "tomato soup" edit makes it into this dub, too. ;)

If you're interested in seeing the original Dragon Ball, though, I strongly recommend FUNimation's DVD treatment. It is, quite possibly, the best I've ever seen (economically speaking, as the extras are rather sparse). The entire 153 episode series will be on a mere 11 sets (six of which are currently released), which retail for $40 apiece, although shopping around can find them for $30. I believe Amazon has them for $35. The exact episode count per set varies, but one set had seventeen episodes, another had nine (which is the lowest I've seen), and others had fourteen. Both sub and dub (a decent dub at that) tracks are included. When compared to their 90+ disc release of DBZ, this is nothing short of phenomenal.

Although, if you look for set #1 (eps. 1-13), you won't find it-- FUNi can't release it until Kidmark's license for the original dub expires, the exact date of which hasn't been disclosed to the public. (By contrast, Pioneer's license for the original DBZ dub expired just yesterday, so FUNi will be rereleasing them next year and restoring the 15 episodes-worth of footage that was cut).

Anyway, that's about all I can offer on the subject. Hope it helped you out. ;)

Red Draco
September 4th, 2003, 02:06 PM
Cool. Thanks for the info!

As for Kirby Morrow ... let's just say that neither my husband or I had any clue that it *wasn't* Ian Corlett (sp) doing Goku's voice until DBZ magazine released some information on the European dub. It's almost impossible to tell the difference (and our dub for DBZ had no end credits. That's right. Just some mixed scenes from some different sagas and some copyright information).

However, no Ian meant that someone else had to do Master Roshi. He sounded terrible over here. I think a few bit characters suffered the same fate.

Oh yeah, it seems like they gave up censoring Goku's bum by the second episode. That was fast. They also kept the part where Goku sleeps against Bulma's legs and discovers one of the differences between boys and girls ... but they cut the part where he screams, "You have no (you know what's)!" So it really makes no sense unless you already know the story. o_O

Martin the Warrior
September 5th, 2003, 10:27 PM
As for Kirby Morrow ... let's just say that neither my husband or I had any clue that it *wasn't* Ian Corlett (sp) doing Goku's voice until DBZ magazine released some information on the European dub.

Wow. Would it shock you to learn that Ian only did Goku for 37 episodes? He was replaced halfway through the second season (the old Saban one) by Peter Kelamis (who also did the first two movies and the video-only version of Tree of Might). I understand AB had Peter doing Goku when they originally started up with Trunks' arrival, but then switched over to Kirby Morrow after fifteen episodes or so. I'll have to hunt down a sound file somewhere-- Kirby Morrow is just entrenched as Trowa from Gundam Wing for me (or Van in Escaflowne, Cyclops in X-Men: Evolution... just decidedly not-Goku). This I have to hear.

However, no Ian meant that someone else had to do Master Roshi. He sounded terrible over here. I think a few bit characters suffered the same fate.

Definitely. Ian's Roshi has been sorely missed (as has his Goku, but that's another story). The only consolation is that the FUNi VA dropped the heavy Texan accent somewhere along the way.