PDA

View Full Version : Book Focus: Mossflower.

Keyla
September 18th, 2003, 02:34 PM
The prequal to the first book and a favorite of many fans, "Mossflower" is, in my opinion, where the Redwall series began, becoming more than a one-off story, but how does it measure up against the other books?

So, how did you rate it?
What were its strengths?
What about its weaknesses?
What were your favorite characters?
If you were Brian, what would you have done differently?
What surprised or disappointed you?
In this book which do you personally prefer, the guerrila warfare or the large-scale epic battles?
Here's a controversial one: in the entire series to you think the female villains are as strong as the male ones?

Nora the Rover
September 18th, 2003, 03:41 PM
~So, how did you rate it?~
I rated it fourth, to sixth.

~What were its strengths?~
The characters don't seem 'shallow' as they do now in some of the Redwall books; they're very life-like, with odd quirks and weaknesses. It has an excellent plot with interesting twists. Tsarmina was a convincing villain, until she went insane. The forging of Martin's sword and Salamandastron were probably the best parts.

~What about its weaknesses?~
Gonff tried to steal the show from Martin quite a bit throughout the book. It always seemed that Gonff was the one to figure things out, and Martin was left to fight off the bad guys or stand around dark and moody.

~What were your favorite characters?~
I'd probably have to say Boar the Fighter was my favorite character. He seemed to be the wisest out of all the characters in the book, and taught Martin quite a bit.

~If you were Brian, what would you have done differently?~
I probably would've given Martin a bit more personality; letting him be the one that was a little more outgoing instead of Gonff.

~What surprised or disappointed you?~
Mask's death was a little disappointing and sad...
The catapult/ballista was really interesting. The only time the weapon has ever been mentioned really was in Mossflower. It was awesome to think about the weapon tearing down the entire castle of Kotir.

VanessaNB
September 18th, 2003, 09:12 PM
How'd you rate it?
Top three. I lub it.

What were its strengths?
What Nora said...except Tsarmina was just as cool when she was crazy.

What were its weaknesses?
I dunno...that's take some nitpicking.

Tsarmina. Crazy people are ever so much fun! I'm not hydrophobic, though...

Umm...perhaps given a more dramatic finish to Martin vs. Tsarmina? Drowning's no fun.

What surprised or dissapointed you?
The ballista! Need I say more?

LadyBeelze
September 19th, 2003, 06:54 PM
Ah its been a while since i've picked up my mossflower copy....ah well

So, how did you rate it?
7th to 9th, it was a okay book but maybe if i reread it again i'd change the rating

What were its strengths?
I think that the strenghs where telling how redwall came and how martin was involved with the making of it. This book was the first time i'd read about salmandastron, "The Fire Lizard Mountain and i was enticed. Boar the fighter was one cool badger lord too he he

I thought it was a bit far feched saying that boar rebuilt martin's sword out of a star but really i don't renember anything that i would call a weakness

What were your favorite characters? Gonff the mouse thief ;)

I would have took out the mask dying part. The mask was cool, being able to disquise oneself as another creature. Yeps..

That gingivere (sp?) was all nice to martin and co. Usually a species defined as "vermin" usually aren't nice and don't get along with mice and such. But there is exceptions in the series :)

Keyla
October 10th, 2003, 05:31 PM
So, how did you rate it?
Tenth to twelfth. It's a good book but after reading "Martin the Warrior" it was a slight come down.

What were its strengths?
The storyline is a good one and it has an individual flavour that sets it apart from other books in the series. I enjoyed the guerrilla warfare. It is a different style to what we are used to. The characters are memorable too.

Although the character themselves are often memorable I don't feel they developed that greatly in comparison to other books in the series. In addition, I feel that I would have liked for Tsarmina to not have gone crazy as it weakened her and made her less threatening in my eyes. Martin was a little too much the silent hero sometimes when compared against the other two members of the "Mossflower Trio" (as Slager put it).

Gonff, of course. He's such a loveable yet believable character.
Dinny is this original mole.
I personally liked Bella's story. Sunflash's arrival at Salamandastron at the end of the book was personally the most powerful moment in the book for me.
I liked Mask also, although I can't really explain why.

I wouldn't have made Tsarmina go mad, for the reason I said before. I might have also given Martin a little more of a personal story than just the rising saviour for Mossflower.

Mask's death. *Sniff, sniff*
I personally expected a bit more of an emotional journey for our hero as we saw in "Martin the Warrior". However, I was pleased with the style of the warfare.

In this book which do you personally prefer, the guerrila warfare or the large-scale epic battles?

I liked the guerilla warfare as it gave the book a very distinct flavour.

Here's a controversial one: in the entire series to you think the female villains are as strong as the male ones?

I'm sorry to say that female villains often end up looking ridiculous: Kurda; Tsarmina; Silvermord. However, to be fair many villains become objects of ridicule in the series.

Keyla
October 12th, 2003, 07:54 AM
Thus far "Mossflower" has been voted on average to be fifth in people's ranking of the series.

LordTBT
October 13th, 2003, 09:25 AM
my favorite book in the series :D
also the first one i happened to read

So, how did you rate it? top 3

What were its strengths?
Well since its my favorite I'd have to say everything

ill get back to this

Martin, Gonff, Dinny, Boar, Gingevere, Mask, Skipper, the Lord of Bat Mountpit, probly some other random characters.

I would've made more interaction with Boar's searat enemy.

masks death

large up-scale

Does it matter?

Cheek Stag Otter
January 22nd, 2004, 02:01 PM
So, how did you rate it?
Not one of my worst over all but one of my least favourite books from the earlier ones.
What were its strengths?
Haveing the history of the beginning of Redwall. I loved the really old feel the book gave off and the sense of this epic tale.
It felt slightly too much like "Redwall". It had the baddie who had werid nightmares and evetually went bonkers. And the fact that while the woodlanders stayed in Mossflower to fight the big baddie some other adventure's went on a quest about Martin's sword. It only featured a werid rat again (Shadow in Redwall and The Glommer)
Columbine, Gonff, Gingevere, Mask, Fredy and Coggs.
Not have had the baddie go crazy again, not have killed Mask.
Nothing really.
Guerrila warfare always seem a lot more intelligent.
Yes, although there haveing been that many I think their just as strong.