PDA

View Full Version : The changing world of Mossflower...

Slagar the Cruel
October 6th, 2003, 08:02 PM
Is it just me, or does Loamhedge exhibit a lot of changes from the way things used to be in the world of Mossflower? For one thing, the lands have changed greatly physically. I'm not sure how much stock I put into this map (like the Triss map, the various distances seem to be a little confused), but the presence of a Northeast Sea alone shows how much the places have shifted around. (As was noted by one of the Abbeybeasts early on.) Another obvious and surprising difference was the "Guosim" being changed into the "Guoraf". It's possible that this is just another branch of the shrews, like the Guossom, but as this was never actually stated, we can't be sure. And the most shocking change... the Redwallers don't seem to be celebrating Namedays anymore! :eek: True, they did have a celebration of the changing season... but it wasn't actually a Nameday. Notice that Springald doesn't state the season's name with her name and title in her Recorder's Journal Entry.

Let's face it... the seasons are rapidly passing by in the Redwall books. The times of Matthias are now considered ancient. Is it any surprise that many of the customs and traditions of the people of Mossflower have changed since the early days? Despite how surprising as a few of these changes may seem at first, they really make sense, when you think about.

(Er, actually... on a slightly related note, I just remembered something. The Guoraf shrews were riding in logboats. Back in Marlfox, Dippler vowed that the Guosim would never use logboats again, but instead ride in actual ships. So, I guess that either Brian forgot about Dippler's vow, Dippler never carried it out, or the Guoraf are, indeed, a different bunch of shrews... but in any case my other two points are still valid! ;))

Rillflag27
October 7th, 2003, 02:46 PM
I noticed some of that too Slagar. but I didnt see a problem of Guoraf I just thought it was just another band of shrews that roam in a different land other than Mossflower. Also at the beginning of the chapter where the 5 people meet the Guoraf, the picture shows (I think) just smaller boats not logboats. I'll have to look at it again.

LordTBT
October 17th, 2003, 01:32 AM
There needs to be an updated release for the Redwall Map and Riddler for 2004 I think

auma
October 17th, 2003, 10:21 PM
Actually Slagar:slagar , your land points are sort of faulty. For one, Hardly any of the books have the quarry section of Mossflower, Unless it is mentioned/used in the story. A load of them don't include Gingivere's:redsy farmhouse, either. I don't know if this is really important or not, but oh well. Guorafs stands for Guirella Union of Rafting And Fighting Shrews, so like the Guossom, it's different.

t@gg :)
November 7th, 2003, 05:42 PM
well i liked the change. i acctually liked the gouraf better than the gousim.

Senav
November 8th, 2003, 04:34 PM
Really? I didn't see much difference between the Guoraf and the Guosim. Just yer usual bunch of shrews.

Candied Chesnut
July 27th, 2004, 06:43 PM
i agree with slagar. in loamhedge, bragoon didn't really use the sword of martin the warrior that much and it didnt seem like such an honor anymore. and for that seasons passing too fast thing, its only too true. loamhedge took place AGES after triss (or so it seems) and has anyone noticed that there arent any character repeats? (like cregga, who was in 3 books)

Cheesethief
July 28th, 2004, 11:42 AM
the sword was kind of regarded as more ceremonial than anything in loamhedge. carrul said to bragoon "take this just for the sake of it" basically, as if it didnt really matter. its like saying to your little brother "here, have my [insert something]" just because you have a new one and the old one is probably broken. kind of.
oh, hi er, candied chesnut. did i read that right? :D

Candied Chesnut
July 29th, 2004, 11:45 PM
lol...well it was supposed to be candied chestnut, but being horrid at spelling, i didnt realise til too late...silly me :lol:

Lonna Bowstripe
July 30th, 2004, 11:40 AM
Well, you can change your username, but you're gonna have to talk to a moderator about that...

Cheesethief
July 30th, 2004, 05:36 PM
anyways...the map was pretty bad. the cliffs were where the lake is normally (the sea was where the lake is in one book...) the path was wrong, so was...everything. but it was one of the best-drawn, no contest. it does bother me though...in mattimeo, the edge of the cliff was north...

Lonna Bowstripe
August 16th, 2004, 07:04 PM
I think Brian draws a rough sketch of the maps and then an illustrator draws it for the books.