PDA

View Full Version : Loamhedge Reviewed

Martin the Warrior
October 9th, 2003, 01:28 AM
I've just posted The Long Patrol's review of Loamhedge. Here on the Loamhedge board you're free to agree or disagree with the points I raised in the review.

http://www.longpatrolclub.com/bookshelf/loamhedge.html

Lord Sarkin
December 11th, 2003, 01:11 PM
I just finished loamhedge martin and i loved it.I dont know if i am to post spoilers so i will just say Bragoon and Saro are my favorite redwall characters.may they rest in the place of sunny slpoes and quiet streams.

Martin the Warrior
December 14th, 2003, 12:53 AM
Any and all spoilers are permitted in the 'Loamhedge Discussion' sub-forum. If you want to err on the side of caution, however, use the [ spoiler ] tag (or just click on the "Spoiler" button above the post box) to make text appear

like this.

Bragoon and Saro were certainly inspired.

Keyla
February 16th, 2004, 06:10 AM
There is also the briefest of moments where you cannot help but widen your eyes in shock, disbelieving that Brian would actually do what he appears to be doing! Sadly, he doesn't really, but for a moment there we had the makings of a really memorable finale
I'm curious as to what was being hoped for. Martha had walked for quite a while before the finale. Perhaps, as I have read elsewhere, that only either Saro or Bragoon died and that the other stayed alive, alone for the first time in his or her life; maybe that Lonna wandered off to Salamandastron and did not return to the abbey. Hmmm...

Martin the Warrior
February 23rd, 2004, 08:51 PM
I've been asked about that a few times. I was referring to the moment we found out that the bearer of the sword would be the Abbot's successor-- at that time it was Horty. Making a hare-- and one of Horty's character-- would have solidified the finale of Loamhedge as truly memorable. It would also have capped a very interesting character journey, taking Horty from a young troublemaker to respected Abbot. Instead, Horty had the sword taken away from him and we were given an ending unpredictable only in that Martha herself was not named Abbess.

Of course, others have disagreed with me on this point. ;)

Keyla
March 2nd, 2004, 04:39 PM
Hmmm... I think I'll join them on that.;) It would seem like a step too far to me. Yes, he did mature; he went from being foolish and selfish to being perilous and considerate, but I do not think that means he would have the right temprement (sp?) to be abbot. He's a fighter, if you know what I mean. It was clear from quite a while back that he would join the Long Patrol. Of course, a hare abbot would be good... just not Horty.

Martin the Warrior
March 2nd, 2004, 06:05 PM
Of course, a hare abbot would be good... just not Horty.

Ah, but would it be as memorable? Watching a character like Horty become Father of Redwall or having a typical Father of Redwall who happened to be a hare?

I make no judgment on how well Horty would have served as an Abbot (although it would have made his character growth more pronounced), just that it would have made the finale truly memorable (for good or bad). ;)

Cheesethief
April 12th, 2004, 05:16 AM
call me stupid but i think that there was definetly not enough on Loamhedge. There was far more information to be found in Mattimeo about the ancient Abbey. While im on the subject, i also have to say that this book means we probably wont see a story set in Loamhedge when it was a prosperous community, many seasons beforehand. And another thing, the secret that Bragoon and Saro were searching for- what was it? was it just a wheelchair, like the one Martha already had? However, i would say that the Abbey was really vividly portrayed. Brian Jacques has made another stunner. The new Anthony Horowitz book, Scorpia was a real let-down.
I also hope that Rackety Tam is going to be set in the past. Anyway that's just my opinion as a Dibbun.:o

Keyla
April 14th, 2004, 06:44 AM
Saro and Bragoon were searching for a cure to Martha's lameness, in accordance with the dream the haremaid received.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by
this book means we probably wont see a story set in Loamhedge when it was a prosperous community
Is it because we see hear of the abbey in the grips of fever? If it is I'm not sure I see how that prevents us from seeing it before then. Is it because you think Brian only wants to show Loamhedge in its fall as he has only gone back that far in the two books to really address the abbey, "Mattimeo" and "Loamhedge".

As for "Rakkety Tam" I doubt it will be set in the past, as there is no real indication of that from the current information and if it were I'm sure that would be a big "selling point" in the promotion. However, who can say at this stage?