PDA

View Full Version : The case of the vanishing book threads

Glenner
November 5th, 2003, 07:53 PM
Well, can't find the last book thread we had, so heres another one for your benefit, O Best Beloved, as Kipling would say.;)

Which books do you still insist are the best in the world and everyone needs to read, otherwise they'll end up a poor deprived soul for the rest of thier life?

Whats a a new book/author/series you've run into thats good? (a "new" not nessecarily meaning "new" but just ones you've never read up until now)

Any underated books you think deserve some limelight?

What do you love the most about books?

Do you like to smell your books? (odd question, but I just have to ask, as I admit to doing it frequently.)

What book(s) would you swear by as a cure all for things such as depression, loneliness, illness, and the occasional discovery poor grade on a history test, garunteed and sure-fired to perk you up?

And lastly, whats your favorite classic(s)?

I'll answer later.

Treerose
November 6th, 2003, 10:13 PM
Yay, a book thread!! :D

Which books do you still insist are the best in the world and everyone needs to read, otherwise they'll end up a poor deprived soul for the rest of thier life?

The Bible, LotR, and Redwall.

Whats a a new book/author/series you've run into thats good? (a "new" not nessecarily meaning "new" but just ones you've never read up until now)

Recently? I haven't been reading much besides school stuff... If comic books count, then my answer is Kingdom Come, which is very good, of course. <g>

::huffs:: Shakespeare. And Plutarch. ;)

What's not to love? "There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away..." Everything's in books. Worlds, history, people... You can go anywhere through books, you can learn anything. They're a window in time to places and people we'd know next to nothing about if not for books - a Delphi priest named Plutarch writing his Parallel Lives in 1st century Greece... Dante Alighieri with his Divine Comedy in 13th century Italy... an Oxford don named J.R.R. Tolkien and his LotR in the 20th century England ... humorous, be-mustached Twain, Keats, whose name 'was writ in water', Homer and his sublime visions, and the consequences of human pride and anger... Brian Jacques and his painting with words... ::makes herself stop:: Um, you get the idea...

Do you like to smell your books? (odd question, but I just have to ask, as I admit to doing it frequently.)

Er, not really. ;) I like the smell of old books, provided they're not musty or moldy... it's nice, conjures up all sorts of comfortable, read-while-the-rain-pounds-on-the-window memories. ;)

What book(s) would you swear by as a cure all for things such as depression, loneliness, illness, and the occasional discovery poor grade on a history test, garunteed and sure-fired to perk you up?

The Bible, for sure.

Aw, there's WAY too many to name. :D Basically, I just find reading classics really rewarding. I love information and knowledge, and classics are certainly full of those, often, as in the case of Plutarch, containing facts and info about things that would be long forgotten if they weren't preserved in books.

This is an area in which many of our schools are really backwards in, IMHO, where kids can reach college and have only read - or worse, enjoyed - a handful, if that, of true classics, and yet have read countless books like Lord of the Flies and such ilk. Not that I'm saying those books aren't worth reading (although, personally, I hated LotF...<g>), but... there should be more of a balance. Classics are the meat and potatoes of what we read - they shouldn't be all we read, of course - but I think our schools are giving out too many TV dinners.

Just for the record, I'm not a "read classic automatically worship it" type. I may not like every single classic I read, but generally speaking, classics are usually classics for a reason. They survive because they have an intrinsic worth where their lesser contemporaries were thinned out by the passing of time. Hence, if it's still here after hundreds of years, chances are there's got to be something good and worthwhile among its pages.

Tree

~~~~~

"You make upon me the impression of a man who has several heads, several hearts, and several souls."

~F. J. Haydn to Ludwig van Beethoven~

t@gg :)
November 7th, 2003, 01:30 PM
yes i do smell my books...well only my redwall books cause they smell good.

Mackinsie
November 7th, 2003, 01:37 PM

The Bible, obviously. I think everyone should read at least one of Shakespeare's plays (it would make Tree happy ;) )! I guess I would have to recommend Redwall, wouldn't I? I think L.M. Montgomery's other books often get overlooked.

One book that I've been reading recently is the World's Most Boring History Textbook... I'm not kidding... that's the title...::mutters under breath:: It should be the title. ;)
I really haven't had much time for "fun reading" lately. :(

Lucy Maud Montgomery's non-Anne books don't really get the attention they deserve. I think the Betsy-Tacy series is overlooked. There are really alot of good series from the 20's through the 60's that get overlooked.

Everything! :) Their ability to transport us to another time and place is my favorite thing!

I don't actually smell my books, but I do love the smell of a bookstore!

The Bible. Other than that, no particular book. I like books from my childhood. They make me smile. :)

I think that labeling a book a "classic" tends to turn people away from it. If I have to name a "classic", then I would have to pick Anne of Green Gables :)

Treerose
November 7th, 2003, 03:38 PM
I think everyone should read at least one of Shakespeare's plays (it would make Tree happy )!

LOL, that it would. And making me happy means making yourselves happy because I'll be able to stop ranting about how little the Swan of Avon is read. ;) (Until I start ranting about another overlooked author like Plutarch, that is... <g>)

Lucy Maud Montgomery's non-Anne books don't really get the attention they deserve.

Hear hear, especially the Emily series.

There are really alot of good series from the 20's through the 60's that get overlooked.

What series would you recommend? I enjoy reading books from that era (well, I enjoy reading any era, but that's beside the point :p), and I'm always looking for new authors to check out.

Tree

~~~~~

"Even when he was wasted by illness, [Maurice] Ravel never appeared unkempt even among his closest friends.... In Chicago a major concert was delayed for nearly an hour because Ravel refused to appear on the podium without his evening shoes, which were still by mistake in the left-luggage office."

~Roger Nichols, Ravel remembered 1987~

Senav
November 7th, 2003, 05:11 PM

LOTR! How anyone could go without reading that astounds me. And Jack London. White Fang and Call of The Wild.

Uh, Mists of Avalon? Not sure if that's the EXACT title, but it's good. Sure, the feminism is strong within this book, but it's a nice little theology lesson. Not little, this book is pretty thick...

Shakespeare? Lots of people in my class just read it without bothering to take anything in, or even TRY to understand the language. We read the Merchant of Venice, by the way.

Nostalgia. Escapism. Ideas. Books do things to my brain.

Heh, I have. New books don't have as good of a smell as old books, though. *glances around* Whaddya lookin' at?!

My Redwall books, prolly. And things I wrote myself. *revises madly*
I'll admit, I've read passages from the Bible that were supposedly there to comfort me for whatever, but it didn't work...And that was before I heard things that make me fear what the Bible stands for.

You can all throw pointy things at me for this...I haven't read many classics. LOTR isn't really my favorite, but I do really like White Fang. I have to read it again.

LadyBeelze
November 7th, 2003, 05:34 PM
Redwall, TLOR

His Dark Materials

Like people above had said, shakesphere

That you can go to many worlds but never leave your cozy little corner. Theres moral based standards in books too look at too ;)

Do you like to smell your books?

LoL! Yes i do like to smell books. Though i like the new book smell better than the old. Its almost screaming to me, "READ ME READ ME!" or something of that sort. Old books..have a peculiar smell to'em..me no likes'em

The Bible

Well i don't know if its a classic but what i really enjoyed when i was little was the chronicles of narnia.

Glenner
November 7th, 2003, 05:49 PM
I've noticed a couple of you mentioned the bible...I glad you did, as its something that I often overlook, but shouldn't.

Redwall, the above mentioned book, and anything by Jack London, Walk two Moons by Sharon Creech, Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams...

Lilian Jackson Braun's The Cat Who.. series is pretty good. Anyone who likes light mysteries and cats should read them. Very charming and funny.

Also, a book I picked up from the library yesterday called The Education of Little Tree VERY good. Anyway whos interested in the Native Anercian mindset and man and our relationship with the earth should read this. Charming and funny, yet meaningful all the same.

Probably Tailchaser's Song. Anyway who loves anthro books should read this. This is the best book with anthro characters I've read next to Redwall.

They way they smell, they way they can take you places, teach you things..Like Treerose said, whats not to like?

As I've said before......Yes......

Besides certain Bible passages, I would say The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents by Terry Pratchett. Possibly the MOST funniest book I've ever read.

The Call of the Wild and The Once and Future King (anyone who likes Tolkien should like this) by T.H. White, and Kipling's Just So Stoires.

Martin the Warrior
November 8th, 2003, 07:33 PM

I fear I must mimic others and say The Bible, LOTR, and quite a few others, but then this post would be rather long.

Of the new books I've read, there aren't any I'd care to recommend here, so I'll go back to my old standbys of The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan and The DragonCrown War Cycle by Michael A. Stackpole. And The New Jedi Order by various authors, which wraps up this month with the release of the fifth hardcover, The Unifying Force by James Luceno.

The Castaways of the Flying Dutchman series by BJ. Too few Redwall fans have tried it out.

Their ability to transport you to another world, expose you to characters and ideas that you might not otherwise find, and their ability to get you wrapped up in them. Or, "Writing is a sword, mightier than all the weapons of war because writing carries with it ideas that penetrate deeper than any bullet." ~Gary DeMar

Do I mind smell of books? Nope. Do I actively smell them? Nope. ;)

To repeat others yet again, The Bible.

Well, far too many to name. Off the top of my head, The Count of Monte Cristo, The Three Musketeers, Treasure Island, Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Finn, The Call of the Wild, Robin Hood, Last of the Mohicans... they're "classics" for a reason. ;)

Cornflower
November 9th, 2003, 06:06 AM
Which books do you still insist are the best in the world and everyone needs to read, otherwise they'll end up a poor deprived soul for the rest of their life?
Well, the Bible, because that is the best book in the world.

What's a new book/author/series you've run into that's good?
The Shocker Series by John Peel. I ran into it when I was at a library. I was taking a book off the shelf when it fell off.

The Deptford Mice by Robin Jarvis. They're so well written I think they deserve more than they've gotten so far.

Well, how when you read them a movie plays out in your mind, with the voices you want and looks of the characters you want.

Uh, yes, actually I do. It's weird, but the paper smells good, as well as the hardcover of hardback books :P

What book(s) would you swear by as a cure all for things such as depression, loneliness, illness and the occasional discovery poor grade on a history test, guaranteed and sure-fired to perk you up?
Uh, I'm not so sure what you mean...:confused:

What's your favorite classic(s)?
Well, I like "Little Women" and "Tom Sawyer", and mostly all of the classics.