PDA

View Full Version : Rabbits Extinct?

LadyBeelze
November 10th, 2003, 08:02 PM
Only once or twice in the whole series has there been rabbits in it which i think is sad. And in loamhedge Cosbro remarked that he was the only left in the whole entire area most likely. I think there should be more of them in the books. Look at hares, they're in alot of the books. ..And what was up with those gerbil things?

t@gg :)
November 11th, 2003, 07:49 AM
only one or two books with rabbits? there was redwall, mattimeo, salamandastron, the long patrol, loamhedge, the taggerung, martin the warrior, lord brocktree, marlfox, and probly even more with hares in it.what are you talking about?

LadyBeelze
November 11th, 2003, 08:48 AM
I'm talking about rabbits not hares. I only renember reading about them in martin the warrior and loamhedge. Nothing else :/

t@gg :)
November 11th, 2003, 12:58 PM
there the same, aren't they?

Slagar the Cruel
November 11th, 2003, 02:54 PM
Nope. Not in Redwall, not in real life, nowhere. They're similar animals, yes, but not the same.

I quite liked Cosbro's appearance. It explained quite a lot about the scarcity (but existence) of rabbits in the world of Redwall. And I just liked Cosbro himself.

(Rabbits have appeared in Mattimeo too, by the way.)

Senav
November 11th, 2003, 04:49 PM
Sad, isn't it? In real life, rabbits are next to impossible to get rid of, but in Redwall, they're next to extinct.

...look at me! Pointing out the obvious!

Madd The Sane
November 11th, 2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by t@gg :)
only one or two books with rabbits? there was redwall, mattimeo, salamandastron, the long patrol, loamhedge, the taggerung, martin the warrior, lord brocktree, marlfox, and probly even more with hares in it.what are you talking about?
Haven't you noticed how the hares react to being called rabbits? They are react by being peeved, angered, and bad-mouthed. The main difference between rabbits and hares, I think, are the size and/or shape of the ears and/or tail. (scut) Rabbits are rarely revealed in the Redwall world. This doesn't mean that they aren't there; they're just not seen.

Martin the Warrior
November 13th, 2003, 07:37 PM
As far as I can recall, rabbits have only appeared in four books or so. The old rabbit who escaped from Malkariss in Mattimeo, a pair of siblings and their mother who met Samkim and Arula in Salamandastron, the Mirdop family in Martin the Warrior, and Cosbro in Loamhedge. Unless I'm forgetting something.

As for why they're scarce, I'd say it's largely due to the fact that BJ prefers hares. They're used sparingly, as are wildcats and a few others.

Madd The Sane
November 13th, 2003, 07:47 PM
Odd fact: Rabbits aren't native to the British Isles. They were introduced around the 1200's and quickly (very quickly, I'd imagine) populated what will be the U.K.

Oh, and it does mention rabbits, I think, in Redwall when cluny was still in the cart.

I wonder how good a rabbit would be in a fight. I would also like to know what would happen when a hare and a rabbit got together (Horty was, for the most part, uncontios, remember?).

Hordern
July 21st, 2004, 10:14 AM
Personally I think rabbits are nice. Particularly mountains 1s.

Jerbil rats are well dapted 2 live in the desert, and anythin with the name ''rat'' is probably considered a vermin.

Hordern
July 21st, 2004, 10:18 AM
I'd say sparks wld fly if they met another creatures 'coz as mentioned already, hares dun lyk bein' called 'rabbits'.This wld in turn probably infuriate the rabbit.

Cinnabarr Rivershell
July 21st, 2004, 10:35 AM
Personally I think rabbits are nice. Particularly mountains 1s.
The mountain ones to which you are referring to are not rabbits, but hares. They are called mountain hares or March hares or something along that line.

I'd say sparks wld fly if they met another creatures 'coz as mentioned already, hares dun lyk bein' called 'rabbits'.This wld in turn probably infuriate the rabbit.
I seriously doubt that because from what I have seen of rabbits in Redwall, they seem to be very kind, timid, gentle creatures. They don't seem to be very aggressive, but extreamely passive. The hare on the other hand would not get in a tuff with the rabbit, because that would seem prejudice of the hare, and BJ's hares are not prejudice to good creatures.

Wait. How old is this thread? Hhhmmm. 2003. Well, I'm not going to delete this post so I'll go ahead and post it anyways. Sorrys!

Cheesethief
July 21st, 2004, 03:52 PM
Wait. How old is this thread? Hhhmmm. 2003 it originated on my birthday. :D

Cinnabarr Rivershell
July 21st, 2004, 08:35 PM
Cool. Or as the UK say. "Wicked!" So, Cheese, November 11, 2003. How old did you turn on that day? *looks innocent* :D

LordTBT
July 21st, 2004, 08:58 PM
Odd fact: Rabbits aren't native to the British Isles. They were introduced around the 1200's and quickly (very quickly, I'd imagine) populated what will be the U.K.

That might explain it. BJ normally sticks with native BI animals.

Sandstripe the Wild
July 21st, 2004, 09:28 PM
There were some rabbits in the beginning of Redwall, if you remember correctly Cluny was thinking about eating them when the hoard was passing them on their way to Redwall Abbey.

Cheesethief
July 22nd, 2004, 06:56 AM
Cool. Or as the UK say. "Wicked!" So, Cheese, November 11, 2003. How old did you turn on that day? *looks innocent* yup, wicked. or, as scots say, "immense".
youll just have to guess. im nearly as old as you...very nearly.

That might explain it. BJ normally sticks with native BI animals. if redwall is st in a medieval period, then they will have been found only in small numbers.

Hordern
July 22nd, 2004, 10:23 AM
There were some rabbits in the beginning of Redwall, if you remember correctly Cluny was thinking about eating them when the hoard was passing them on their way to Redwall Abbey.

Well, they may have been mentioned, but dey sure din' appear as characters. So i'm not sure that can be counted.

Cheesethief
July 22nd, 2004, 12:41 PM
surely the word is "horde"?
nope, they wouldnt be characters.

Sandstripe the Wild
July 22nd, 2004, 05:52 PM
Sorry my incorrect spelling.

As for the rabbits, I don't believe you specified that they had to be characters, you only ask if there were some in Redwall.

Cinnabarr Rivershell
July 23rd, 2004, 01:23 AM
youll just have to guess. im nearly as old as you...very nearly.
Thought I might give it a try. :D

Hordern
July 23rd, 2004, 10:21 AM
Yeah, but if the rabbits dun even appear as characters, where's the fun in that? :confused:

Cheesethief
July 23rd, 2004, 04:49 PM
Thought I might give it a try. :p

Yeah, but if the rabbits dun even appear as characters, where's the fun in that? hey, if you highlight :confused: that then it goes evil! oh, sorry. rabbits are cool. i liked the old one in matti.

Cinnabarr Rivershell
July 25th, 2004, 12:45 AM
My brother was mountain biking the other day in the Marin Headlands, when all of a sudden a jackrabbit darted out of a bush and ran right past his front wheel. The scary thing about it was that my brother was going down the hill at 27 miles per hour. The bloody jackrabbit could have killed him!

Senav
July 25th, 2004, 06:20 PM
Useless Fact: Jackrabbits are actually a species of North American hare. Around here, lazy people refer to snowshoe hares as rabbits (including me). Makes y'wish people would use scientific names, that way one animal doesn't have twenty different "nicknames".

Cheesethief
July 26th, 2004, 06:46 AM
what, "look, a lutra lutra! and a vulpes vulpes!" cant see it happening.

Senav
July 28th, 2004, 12:52 PM
Hey, count yourself lucky that you even knew those! My Bio class thought that 'eatabus anythingus' and 'speedapus rex' were real scientific names. Quoth my Bio teacher "Didn't any of you ever watch Bugs Bunny?"
Besides, using scientific names makes me sound smart :D

Cheesethief
July 29th, 2004, 05:42 PM
ok genius, whats the scientific name for the star-nosed mole! and no cheating!
surely its the road runner cartoons?

Blaidd
February 24th, 2006, 11:48 AM
i AIN'T answering previous, I'm Thinking Rabbits are going to be extinct too. Look more hunters than them then Rabbits will be etinct in a few books time.

chupacabra
February 24th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Maybe in that region, which I doubt since those vermin who were eating them weren't humans who kill just for sport and ruin the enviroment, I would assume they would be extinct but since they were natural predators like ferrets and weasels , i doubt it.

Blaidd
February 24th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Yeah!
If they didn't eat the rabbits,
Did they die of diseases? Like Blowfly problems but that might not happen in BJLAND

Chelki Sureshot
February 24th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Rabbits seem really dumb to me, so maybe they just couldn't handle life so they all died.

Anyone seen the Bunny suicide book?

Tesra
February 24th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Yeah!
If they didn't eat the rabbits,
Did they die of diseases? Like Blowfly problems but that might not happen in BJLAND

Or perhaps BJ let them aside because Hares are so more interesting, cunning, and intelligent. Look at the mouses : outside the abbey, they aren't many ones. They're little frail creatures, even if some are going out the lot, like Matthias.
I don't know if they are going to vanished ; I haven't read many enough books...

Josiah the Warrior
February 24th, 2006, 04:55 PM
*Usual spiel about bringing back dead threads*

Barkstripe
February 25th, 2006, 07:42 AM
What Josiah said.

Flinky_rules
January 13th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Do you think a rabbit would be offended if they were mistaken for a hare?

Janglur Swifteye
January 13th, 2008, 03:36 PM
hmm.....I like rabbits more. There I said it! Because of Watership Down. I mean come on! My picture can tell you that.