PDA

View Full Version : "Dangerous" dog breeds?

Senav
November 13th, 2003, 04:35 PM
This is a subject that puts me in rant mode...I read a letter to the newspaper today that honestly makes my blood boil. The ignorance may blind you.

BAN KILLER BREEDS
I live in HRM and am a caring mother of three children. There is nothing I would not do to protect my children. So it is with immense grief and anger that I read of the death of four-year-old James Waddell.
The horrific death of an innocent child left with four unattended Rottweilers leaves me with a strong sense of obligation to take a strong stand against such senslessness.
Of course my basic instinct is the desire to get rid of all Rottweilers/pitbulls. The civilized part of me writes this letter in an attempt to obtain support from others who will come forward to their municipalities and push for bylaws to ban these killer breeds!
How many more senseless deaths need there be?

Senseless indeed, lady! How can all the members of a single breed be vicious? That's like saying all Americans are chauvinists, all Canadians say 'eh', saying all the French eat frog legs...
ANY DOG CAN BE DANGEROUS. I've been bitten by MY dog, and it was MY fault! You don't leave kids alone with dogs, no matter what breed, or how "friendly" it supposedly is.
I've met a German Shepherd, a doberman, and a Rottweiler, and they were all incredibly happy to see me. Especially the Rottweiler, after he realized I wasn't after his beloved squeaky toy, he was all kisses. On the other hand, I've met two lab mixes who can't be trusted, and one lab who acted absolutely vicious towards Buddy. Our cousins dog can't be pinched around the scruff, because his skin isn't loose. If you try it, he'll snap at you. This TINY dog will kill any and everything smaller than himself, and some things that are larger.
Why do pitbulls/Rotties get all the news? It's what we expect. There're plenty of other dog breeds that bite, I don't need statistics to tell me that.

So...there's my point of view. Kinda like a rant, isn't it? Rottweilers are one of my favorite dogs, I'm verra protective. And to lighten my mood, heeere's Buddy! He's a reindeer:D
http://home.graffiti.net/VanessaNB/buddythereindeer.jpg

LadyBeelze
November 13th, 2003, 05:48 PM
Take almost anything, for instance a normal human being and annoy them and their reaction is to defend themself. My response to being touched or even just tapped on the shoulder is to beat the heck out of that person..but thats just me ;)
I think its the same for dogs. If you annoy any dog to an extent they're going to fight back and little kids like to pull their hair and ears and anything they can put hands on. Though some dogs are treated badly so they bite any person on sight. *agrees* That person is ignorant

Ooo buddy's so cute! Especially the lil reindeer antlers

Heres my dog Bowser, though the picture isn't that great.

http://home.graffiti.net/ladybeelze/windowdog.jpg

Martin the Warrior
November 13th, 2003, 05:57 PM
The dogs aren't to blame, seems like the parents bore the responsibility. I'm always saddened by the reports of "vicious" dogs having to be put down because they've bitten children, and that woman's letter is certainly ignorant.

On a happier note, however, both Buddy and Bowser are awfully cute. :) Does Buddy like wearing his antlers, Vanessa? My dog won't leave them on for more than two seconds. ;)

Glenner
November 13th, 2003, 08:03 PM
Ditto to what Beelze and Martin said.

Cute pics , and I have to ask, whos the kitty under the tree?

PiarasJ
November 13th, 2003, 08:05 PM
Try tying a helium baloon to their tail, dogs love that. ;)
I think if a dog kills a baby then it should be put down, even if the baby was pulling its tail or whatever, but it's silly to ban all of a certain breed. Though if got bad enough to the point where it was difficult to find a gentle dog of a certain breed then people who want them banned do have a point. Mabye the owners should be put down? ;)

Furrtil
November 13th, 2003, 08:13 PM
Banning all of a breed is ridiculous. Any dog can be trained (Rottweilers may be attack dogs, but they have to be trained to attack), and if an owner isn't going to take responsibility for training their dog, they shouldn't own it. Any dog can be vicious, Rottweiler's are blamed more because they are larger and stronger and so their attacks are much more effective.

I would post a picture of my adorable dog, but it's not scanned in yet. He's a basset hound, the cutest breed in the world (in my humble biased opinion :P)

PiarasJ
November 13th, 2003, 08:39 PM
I'd post a photo of our dog but you might all die laughing. ;)

Rillflag27
November 13th, 2003, 09:02 PM
lol Senav, my friend showed me a picture of his dog and he has the exact same breed and it has the same antlers, lol!!

Senav
November 14th, 2003, 04:44 PM
The kitty under the tree is Kitty. He's our cat. He occasionally brings us dead rodents. Bowser looks like he's considering walking through the window. Is he a labrador mix, or purebred?
Buddy doesn't HATE his antlers, but he won't try to move around. They've got little jangly bells on them and it freaks him out. Poor Bud, we think he was terrified as a pup, he's so paranoid.
On the note of paranoid, most dogs bite out of fear, don't they?

Rottweilers were bred to be protective. It's their nature, not a vicious beast. In the right hands, its the ideal family guardian, in the wrong its a liability. Even if the dog was raised perfectly, one bratty kid can change it. Too bad so few people realize it.
I've actually heard of kids in my area tormenting animals, but when they finally get the chomping they so richly deserve, it's gonna be blamed on the animal.

LadyBeelze
November 14th, 2003, 05:05 PM
Heh cute cat too, though i'm allergic to cats ;_; I break out in hives just being in a spot a cat spends alot of time in. Why do you have the christmas stuff out so early? Or is the picture old..?

Bowser is a mix. He's mostly black lab but there is something else in him. I just don't renember at the moument. He's looking outside the screen door by the kitchen. Probably trying to be cute and gets some s????s which i give him. He's spoiled. ^^

Senav
November 15th, 2003, 04:22 PM
You'd hate our cat. He sheds everywhere. He also meows for food all the time. But he does do gymnastics in his sleep (you wouldn't believe the positions I've seen), so that's okay.
I've got all kinds of pictures of Buddy doing cute things. We have one of him dressed up as a school boy, complete with bookbag. He didn't like that.

PiarasJ
November 15th, 2003, 05:12 PM
We've taught our dog to dance around in circles on his hind legs for food, so we put a tutu on him and took a photo, but the tutu had a slit down the front, but him being a "him" it wasn't a very flattering photo... O.O

Have you taught your dogs any tricks? Ours does all the useful things like dancing, rolling over, shaking paws and begging, but he doesn't come unless you do the dinner-time whistle for him. ;) He looks so pathetic when you tell him to sit or lie down.

I think you might like our cat Beelz, she hasn't moved since the day we got her eight years ago so it wouldn't be hard to avoid her, just remember not to go near the pile of dust and spiderwebs in the cat basket. ;)

LadyBeelze
November 15th, 2003, 05:25 PM
Cats i like so much, so it's a pain not being able to be around them . We use to have a cat once though, we named it "Bob" for lack of originality but it got rain over at night when it was 9 months old. Probably its fate since it was entirely black 0.o I even got to a point where i wouldn't break out every day. Poor cat *sniff*

What type of dog do you have Piaras? That'd be one weird picture, i pity the dog having to wear a tutu.
Bowser won't even let us put anything on him, but it's amusing to put a towl over his face and him bumping into things until he brushes it off.
Bowser knows how to dance for s????s, lay down, sit, roll over, speak, whimper (so cuuute), growl, catch balls, and shake.
He's currently chained to the porch because he chewed on the snow moblie seats. Bad Dog ..

PiarasJ
November 15th, 2003, 05:39 PM
Yeah it is a weird picture. Our cat is black too, and her tail got run over so it had to be cut off, poor thing. Our dog is a tenterfield terrier/jack russel cross probably with some other breeds mixed in there, so he's a black and white short haired spotty thing. He's pretty smart though, sometimes when I get angry and start making growly noises he'll come over and wag his tail and look all sad and start licking my face, it's so funny, it always makes me laugh. I put him in our pool for a swim yesterday, he hates it though, he goes all shaky and if you hold him above the water his legs will start kicking and his nose goes in the air like a snorkel.

Cale Yin
November 15th, 2003, 09:11 PM
My entire family is allergic to cats so she's lived outside since we got her. She's 16 years old, or maybe 15, or 17, and when she was lil some mean person cut off a quarter of her tail and left her in the woods to die. So someone nice brought her to the animal shelter and my mom got her for her birthday. She is called Rainy and she's a Tortoiseshell Asian.

We also have a dog that we got from the Internet. The owners lived in California but were moving to Britain so they had to sell her. She was $800 and it was SO worth it. :D

(We had to get a purebred that didn't shed because we're also allergic to dogs- but from her miniscule amount of dander, I've built up a tolerance to dogs and am no longer allergic to them. :))http://home.graffiti.net/Caleyin/POCO_twist.jpg

http://home.graffiti.net/Caleyin/RAINY_zap.jpg

LadyBeelze
November 16th, 2003, 12:49 PM
Such a small little dog ^^ Kawaii
And a nice little cat too '_'

..can't comment any more since my parentals are telling me to wash the dishes. meh

Senav
November 16th, 2003, 03:44 PM
The cuteness...its making my eyes burn!
Uh, Buddy will sit, lay down, and go happy/dancey for a treat. If you say "walk" or "jaunt", he knows what it means. And if you're eating in the living room, he'll stare at you until he starts drooling and you have to push him away.
Buddy's smarter than I give him credit for (don't tell him I said that).

PiarasJ
November 16th, 2003, 04:31 PM
I don't know how to post a picture, so there's our runt in my avatar. ;) He's wearing one of my shirts. (No matter HOW many times I tell him not to...)

-Cap'n Kerrigan-
August 11th, 2006, 03:24 PM
It's not the dogs fault. It's the humans. Hva eyou ever seen the show "Dog Whisperer"? It's a very good show. It's how the humans are treating the dogs. Dogs need dog rules. They must be treated like dogs. Some people just don't and they let the dog become the dominant one or "pack leader". You must take over, and then your dog will do whatever you want them, or whatever you don't want them to. You mu train them to not do stuff. They just don't know human customs. They know dog customs.

Wormerwing
August 11th, 2006, 03:43 PM
You're new, so it's not TOO big a problem, but try not to resurrect threads older than six months. Thankee.

Wormerwing-The unofficial, impolite, newb-bashing welcome committee