PDA

View Full Version : Animal size differences

Foremole
November 13th, 2003, 06:42 PM
This has probably already been posted but it has always annoyed me, how are you supposed to overlook the size difference in the animals in the redwall series? I mean a fox is much bigger than a mouse, otters are bigger than mice too. How is their size supposed to be portrayed in redwall? Most of the animals are considerably different sizes yet they are supposed to be moderately equal. I understand if this is a confusing question I couldn't figure out how to ask it.

Madd The Sane
November 13th, 2003, 07:07 PM
It is all in the eye of the beholder (in this case, the reader). You can make the otter or the mouse as big as you want; it doesn't have to be based on this world's animal dimensions. You could make the mice bigger than the otters :D if you wanted. This is based on what you think will work. Me? It's too complicated right now to tell you.

LadyBeelze
November 13th, 2003, 07:27 PM
I agree with madd's post above.

I mean, when i read the books in my mind i put the animals size into different porportions.
Bankvoles and moles i see as the same heighth as mice or smaller. Rats are slightly bigger than mice and then otters and hares are the biggest and than a badger towers above all of them. Not to mention the bird types, humongous things. ..I can rant about this forever :D

Now the redwall tv series..now i think theres some that are not right to me but i don't want to get off topic.

Senav
November 14th, 2003, 05:29 PM
I always imagined them proportionate to real life. Mice are smaller than squirrels, rats, weasels, and stoats are bigger than that, and foxes, badgers and otters were kinda the same height. Birds fit into that as well, based on real life.
Blah blah blah, everyone's ideas are different, blah...

t@gg :)
November 15th, 2003, 04:13 PM
i kind of think of it the same way Senav does.

Chelki Sureshot
November 18th, 2003, 06:44 PM
Mice are pretty small. I hated the way Nelvana did the cat. Can you imagine Tsarmina that big???? I pretty much bring them down to the same porportion (sp?). Badgers I imagine huge. Just because of all the thing that say, "Constance picked him up with one huge paw. . ." Stuff like that. The hares are pretty tall, but mostly I don't stress about it.