PDA

View Full Version : What drew you to Redwall?

Martin the Warrior
November 13th, 2003, 07:49 PM
This isn't meant to be a "When/how did you start reading?" thread. Instead, I'd like to know what is it about Redwall, what aspect of it first drew you to like the books? What kept you coming back for more? And, finally, what is the one aspect of the series as a whole that you like the most?

LordTBT
November 13th, 2003, 10:24 PM
I keep reading the series because theres just so much history in it that isnt yet written about, and thats what interests me the most.

What drew me to it was just the way BJ tells the stories i guess and the characters, like Gonff.

LadyBeelze
November 14th, 2003, 04:25 PM
Well, i don't really know what aspect drew me in first since the tv series were responsible for making me read it. I guess the accpects that drew me in were that one it was in a medevil time base, the characters were animals having some human charastics, and mostly because its just fantasy. I don't really read books that don't have something out of the normal from real life (there is some exceptions :/). So yeah. What kept me coming to read more of the series is that i wanted to explore this world more. Read more redwall battles, feasts, and songs. They're just so awsome. And the story of course ;)
One aspect as a whole ..'Redwall' nuffin else too it <g>

Senav
November 14th, 2003, 05:26 PM
The aminals! Yay for incorrect spelling!
When I watched the TV series, talking animals drew me in. I'm an animal person. The animals kept me in, and BJ's lovely story telling skills. Andandand...and the rats. It doesn't take rocket science to tell you that I'm a rat fanatic. The main rats might be pure evil, but the bumbling horderats are fun to watch.
So yes. The animals make the appeal.

Nora the Rover
November 14th, 2003, 06:21 PM
As a little kid I would read tons of animal stories; Wind In the Willows, Poppy, Charlotte's Web, etc. I would watch animated movies with animals The Rescuers, The Great Mouse Detective, An American Tail, and so on.
I always loved the characters of the animals and the plots were always filled with adventure.
As I got older, I somewhat forgot that feeling, and read other sci-fi and fantasy books. When I came across Redwall in about seventh grade, I remembered how interesting those stories were that I remembered as a kid. I guess that's sort of what drew me to it.
I've also always loved the Medieval era, so the Redwall books really caught my attention. I love the fact that the books are sort of an epic timeline full of battles, adventures, quests, sailing voyages, mysteries, riddles, and really has that feel of the high Middle Ages.

Lord Servone
November 15th, 2003, 03:06 AM
I liked how the characters where animals...I was always a fan of the Robin Hood cartoon movie and anthromorphic things so this really caught my eye...

Darkhood_343
November 15th, 2003, 01:01 PM
I liked that the characters were able to do things and live in such a peaceful place. I liked the battles, and the descriptions of the woods and other areas.

t@gg :)
November 15th, 2003, 04:15 PM
well i relly liked the meadival(spelling?) feel to it. i also like the idea of animals carrying swords:)

Pennybright
November 16th, 2003, 10:04 PM
The stories just seemed to come alive for me. I could get lost in a Redwall book to the point where I would not hear the teacher say that silent reading was over. This was odd because I had never enjoyed any sort of fantasy genre book before.

I have to say that the characters are my favorite part. I always find a character I can relate to, or one that reminds me of someone I know. There are so mant different personalities as well.

Chelki Sureshot
November 17th, 2003, 07:13 PM
Ha! I love the Great Mouse Detective. I still watch it, and I'm 14! I really can't remember what drew me into Redwall. The librarian of course, 'cause she said it was about the medieval age, and that i'm really interested in. I read Mossflower first, then I just kept going. Now i've read them all more than 15 times! Except for Loamhedge.

rowanoak
November 18th, 2003, 09:11 AM
The characters and the storylines were the hook for me. I also like the fact that the couples are fairly stable, after dealing with the love triangles and breakups in the "Sonic the Hedgehog" comic I find the redwall couples refreshing. I am glad BJ leaves the drama in other aspects of the books.

Chelki Sureshot
November 18th, 2003, 06:37 PM
Also another thing that drew me to it is how BJ leaves room to bulid. Like, we can have our own quests and anything, and it fits in perfectly, because there is so much space inbetween the books. The Harry Potter books are just Harry Potter. No room to invent quests or anything.