Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Rakkety Tam cover
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rakkety Tam cover

Patroller

Thumbs up Rakkety Tam cover

Just pointing out that the Rakkety Tam cover is up at redwall.org

redwall.org

And with an approximate release date and summary:

"From beyond the cold northern seas and the lands of ice, a terrifying beast arrives on the shores of Mossflower Country: Gulo the Savage! With his crew of white-furred vermin, this creature out of nightmare comes to murder his brother and seize the fabled Walking Stone. Nobeast is safe from the mighty Gulo, who feasts on the flesh of his enemies.

But something stands between Gulo and what he seeks: the ancient Abbey of redwall. Who will come to the aid of Abbot Humble and his peaceful woodlanders? The mercenary warrior from the borders, Rakkety Tam MacBurl, that's who! With his mate Wild Doogy Plumm, the brave squirrel sets forth on a quest to rescue two kidnapped Redwall maidens, and joins forces with one hundred perilous hares from the Long Patrol. Together they face a battle that ranges far over the plains, streams and woodlands of Mossflower in this epic tale of war, courage and comradeship.

Hark to the battlecries: Redwaaaaaaall! Eulaliiiiaaaa! Haway the Braaaaaaw!

Expect to see Rakkety Tam on shelves in September, 2004."

Hm. Wonder if the Walking Stone has anything to do with Martha in Loamhedge? Wasn't the wheelchair's wheel stone?
    Last edited by Chesk Otter; May 4th, 2004 at 05:45 PM.
    Member of Slagar The Cruel's Ice Hockey Horde of Doom!
    Put this in your sig to join if you're a fan of the now dead STCP/PSLAGAR.

"He's riding a cat, to find an owl, so he can look for a snake. What kind of place does this Warrior Mouse come from?"
    -Logalog

Oh I like that cover. Makes me want to read it even more. Even though I do have to wait a year to get the softback. I ruin hardcovers too easily. Gulo looks really evil too.

That makes me happy. Is he wearing plaid? *snicker*
    If I have one complaint, it's that the sword looks rather...huge compared to Rakkety. Wait, Abbot Humble? That's a funny name.
    Pacific Ocean spotted off East Coast!

Apparently, this newest Redwall book will be the farthest in its future. I want to see the American cover, though. Or is that the American cover? What's the English cover? I'm going to buy it on Hardback anyway. They last longer. I just can't drink Cream Soda at the same time. I'll laugh and get it everywhere. Hahaha! AAAAHHH!!! MY PANTS!! THAT'S COLD!
    Avoid looking stupid. It never is becoming.

Patroller: Emeritus Lyrian Aryns's Avatar
    Judging by the font, I'd say it was the American cover, though I could be wrong.

Yeesh, so his name really is Rakkety? Ew... They'd better call him Tam most of the time, or I may go insane. :P
    "She doesn't talk much, does she?"
    "No, she's always quiet. We think maybe there's something wrong with her."
    "Yes... or something very right. The quiet ones are the ones that change the universe, Luc Deradi. The loud ones only take the credit."
    -Babylon 5

Registered User Slagar the Cruel's Avatar
    I really like the cover. Gulo (or whatever vermin that is) looks genuinely menacing, even frightening, in the shadowy foreground, and Rakkety himself looks to be in classic Redwall style. Actually, the whole cover seems to remind me of older covers for some reason... perhaps it's because the area being portrayed is the outskirts of Redwall, instead of another slightly less familiar locale. Hmm, perhaps if it had a single-colored border running around it...

The description also sounds good. Gulo sounds like the toughest Redwall adversary since Ungatt Trunn, maybe since even farther back. The Long Patrol involvement sounds interesting, and much better than some of the cameo-esque appearances of hundreds upon hundreds of nameless, faceless, indistinguishable hares that the LP seems to have been limited to in many of the recent books (usually for understandable purposes, but I'm still looking forward to a smaller, more plot-oriented bunch of Long Patrol hares appearing in a story). This book's plot sounds to be gravitating away from the more "quest-based", war-lite yarns of recent history, which could prove a nice change of pace.

I'm still not sure what to make of this "mercenary squirrel" business, though. I guess I'll have to wait and see what to make of it...

wow. Did Dave Lindsay beat MtW? after such a long losing streak, is Lindsay making a comeback?
    -Lord Trawnbull Thickstripe(TBT)

The Redwall Wiki - Redwall information & news

dave has the official redwall site, so he gets news early.
    great points all, i love the us cover (you can tell its that because of the writing and style) uk will be better i think though.
    i got my redwall readers letter in the post (mail) today. i love getting it!
    and senav, tam is wearing tartan. its what us scots wear, the colour our kilts are.(technically theres lots of types of tartan of many colours but they all have the stripes)
    Hey, buds. I haven't been here in, well, a good while. Last visited January 9th...Well, I'm sorry to have forgotten you guys. Some of you (Most, I hope) will remember me, and others will, I'm sure, have been told about me, and warned to lock up their daughters and wives. Heh. Anyway, I'm posting a thread about my future here, so...get over there. Read it.

Patroller: General Chelki Sureshot's Avatar
    Yes! The Long Patrol! We haven't seen them in absolute AGES! Abbot Humble? That's weird. Two kidnapped Redwall maidents. How much ya wanna bet that one's a mouse and the other's a squirrel? I don't like the cover much, Martin's sword is twice as long as Rakkety! That's an awesome name. rakkety, Rakkety, Rakkety. . .Tam.

I have to say, I miss the old covers with a picture of a/the main character(s) with a thin border and then a picture of a landscape. That's how a lot of the old ones were. I like 'em. I think Rakkety should look a little meaner
    Avoid looking stupid. It never is becoming.

I really love the cover art. Troy Howell did a spectacular job! Rakkety looks awesome in the tartan, and Gulo looks even more barbaric and evil than I thought.
    This is one Redwall book that I'm actually going to go insane waiting for this summer...
    The plot sounds very swashbuckling and action-packed. I'm sure it's going to be a good read.
    If you must mount the gallows, give a jest to the crowd, a coin to the hangman, and make the drop with a smile on your lips.
    -Birgitte

dave has the official redwall site, so he gets news early.
    thats where youre wrong. The redwall newsline (Martins deal) breaks news before Dave most of the time now. MtW has secret connections.
    -Lord Trawnbull Thickstripe(TBT)

The Redwall Wiki - Redwall information & news

MtW is in the Mob?
    and anyway, im gonna wait to see the uk + canada cover before i say any more.
    we get rak tam a whole month before youse!
    Last edited by Cheesethief; May 6th, 2004 at 05:55 AM.
    Hey, buds. I haven't been here in, well, a good while. Last visited January 9th...Well, I'm sorry to have forgotten you guys. Some of you (Most, I hope) will remember me, and others will, I'm sure, have been told about me, and warned to lock up their daughters and wives. Heh. Anyway, I'm posting a thread about my future here, so...get over there. Read it.

Patroller
    Yes, the cover is cool, though I bet I'll prefer the British one. It's odd that it's surfaced before our one, which gets me a bit worried; if the UK is getting "Rakkety Tam" a month before America one would expect our cover to show up first, although I wouldn't say it nails it really.

What can I say? The summary paints this out to be even better than I thought, although for some reason the style it's written in grates me slightly. It's nice to see what looks like the Long Patrol back; even if they aren't the real Mc Coy, it will be great to have some fighting hares again. The two maidens strike me as full of potential. Of course from appearances they scream "damsels in distress" but Brian has a habit of playing with such concepts and turning them on their heads. There's plenty of oppurtunity while in captivity for some good character development.

Gulo sounds better and better with each new thing that emerges. The concepts sound quite new to Redwall. The idea of him being a theif could play out to provide some alternative motives.

The promise of an "epic" really caught my attention. While it could be taken to suggest something of the style of "Mossflower" the other details could make for something very original and different from the older books.

Of course, most predictions we'll make will be wrong and won't give anything as good as we tend to get. Still, it's nice to speculate, especially when the material looks so promising.

im slightly worried about how brian is concentrating on making his books set after the others, triss seemed to be quite a bit after taggerung, and loamhedge even later. now it appears that RT is going to be another to-infinity-and-beyond book. i long for one set in a gap between two older books, that would be great.
    also, the book is out quite quickly after loamhedge. is this an indication that brian is trying to expand his series to its full potential before he is unable to write any longer? after a stroke and a heart attack its not much suprise. i hope this is not the case. Keep at it Brian!
    on the other hand, my mother had a minor stroke a while ago, and it made no difference.