Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Rakkety Tam cover - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rakkety Tam cover

Patroller
    I think the reason Brian is giving almost totally new casts of characters is because characters used already tend to either have baggage to deal with from past experiences or have nothing left to give in terms of development. Now while the former of these can be utilised, such as in the case of Martin, it can also be quite limiting as it gives Brian less freedom as he must stay true to what he has said before while still using the character in the context of a working plot. The latter is even worse, however, as it means the character has nowhere to go on the most part, meaning that a character that was central in a previous book ends up on the back-burner, like Auma in "The Pearls of Lutra", unless he manages to provide some very original development as he did for Cregga in "(The) Taggerung". Carrying over is a difficult business when trying to keep the story good at the same time. It's all very good seeing our favorites again, but if it weakens the novel as a whole I'd rather have a fresh cast.

Of course, we don't know for sure that there won't be any younger creatures from "Loamhedge" over lapping into "Rakkety Tam" in their older seasons. Anyway, the cast we have at the moment looks good and also quite unified in the plot, something we've tended not to have for quite a while.

I know this is slightly deterring the topic, but I thought there was loads of room for stories during Saxtus' abbotship.
    -Lord Trawnbull Thickstripe(TBT)

The Redwall Wiki - Redwall information & news

President of The Long Patrol Martin the Warrior's Avatar
    NoRacoons
    I want to see the American cover, though. Or is that the American cover?
    It is the US cover.

Lyrian
    Yeesh, so his name really is Rakkety? Ew... They'd better call him Tam most of the time, or I may go insane. :P
    "Rakk" seems more in-line with BJ's style to me. I could be wrong.

Slagar
    Actually, the whole cover seems to remind me of older covers for some reason...
    Strangely enough, that was my impression as well. I was reminded of the US Lord Brocktree, Marlfox, & Martin the Warrior and the UK The Bellmaker all at once.

TBT
    wow. Did Dave Lindsay beat MtW? after such a long losing streak, is Lindsay making a comeback?
    It depends on how you want to look at it. This is the first time Dave has put up anything about Rakkety Tam, whereas the Newsline has had information about it up since June 26th of last year. While the summary does contain a few extra plot points and names, it also basically covers the same ground as the summary from the Library of Congress I posted in March (Gulo, land of ice, walking stone, etc.)

He clarified the name situation, but as I said in the article, he was the one that originally confirmed "Rackety Tam" and "Dougie Plum" for me (and reconfirmed when the "Rackety/Rakkety" situation broke in March, albeit in the sense that if Brian and his publisher had changed it, they hadn't told him).

He got the cover first, but he also had the UK Triss cover first, so it's not that unusual.

So, as I look at things, he clarified a sticky issue with the name spelling and posted a Redwall.org exclusive summary (as he always does), but I had nearly a year on him about the book itself, so he didn't "beat" me to anything.

Naturally, you can look at it a different way.

Cheesethief
    we get rak tam a whole month before youse!
    Tentatively. I'm (personally) very skeptical about the August UK release date because you guys only just got Loamhedge a few months ago. It strikes me as fishy. However, that's what Amazon.co.uk listed, so that's what I've got to go by. I have to assume it's correct. I'd remain cautiously optimistic if I were you.

Keyla
    Yes, the cover is cool, though I bet I'll prefer the British one.
    I am shocked-- shocked!

if the UK is getting "Rakkety Tam" a month before America one would expect our cover to show up first
    Actually, since David Wyatt has taken over the UK cover chores, that's never been the case (even with the virtually simultaneous release of Triss). One could assume he takes more time on the covers than Howell does (or Howell just has it down to a science, while Wyatt is still learning Redwall). Whatever the reason, I'll be surprised if we ever see a Wyatt cover before a Howell one.

Cheesethief
    also, the book is out quite quickly after loamhedge. is this an indication that brian is trying to expand his series to its full potential before he is unable to write any longer?
    Actually, there's no speed-up in the writing versus release, only in the UK release. Loamhedge hit US shelves last September (as opposed to the UK's release earlier this year), putting Rakkety Tam in line with the usual yearly-schedule Redwall has maintained since early on.
    ~Martin the Warrior~
    -President of The Long Patrol

"A poet is a musician who can't sing. Words have to find a man's mind before they can touch his heart, and some men's minds are woeful small targets. Music touches their hearts directly no matter how small or stubborn the mind of the man who listens."
    ~The Name of the Wind, Patrick Rothfuss

Naturally, you can look at it a different way

Patroller: Emeritus Lyrian Aryns's Avatar
    "Rakk" seems more in-line with BJ's style to me. I could be wrong.
    Yeah, that does sound right. Of course, I've always assumed his first name was Tam, with Rackety being a descriptor, so... I dunno.

But Rakk annoys me almost more than Rakkety does... for some reason, double k's really remind me of fingernails on a blackboard. Maybe I'm just weird. :P
    "She doesn't talk much, does she?"
    "No, she's always quiet. We think maybe there's something wrong with her."
    "Yes... or something very right. The quiet ones are the ones that change the universe, Luc Deradi. The loud ones only take the credit."
    -Babylon 5

Patroller: General Chelki Sureshot's Avatar
    Nutty Brushtail and I have a bet on, about whether Doogy Poumm dies or not. I say he won't. Ten candied chesnuts to the winner! The review does sound awesome, yay for the Long Patrol! I admit the names are strange, but if there's a war, who cares?

MtW is in the Mob?
    I'd believe it. (Only kidding, Martin)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Martin

Tentatively. I'm (personally) very skeptical about the August UK release date because you guys only just got Loamhedge a few months ago. It strikes me as fishy. However, that's what Amazon.co.uk listed, so that's what I've got to go by. I have to assume it's correct. I'd remain cautiously optimistic if I were you.

actually i got it (the Uk edition) a bit early- WHSmith mistakenly put it on shelves a few weeks or something before it was "released".
    Hey, buds. I haven't been here in, well, a good while. Last visited January 9th...Well, I'm sorry to have forgotten you guys. Some of you (Most, I hope) will remember me, and others will, I'm sure, have been told about me, and warned to lock up their daughters and wives. Heh. Anyway, I'm posting a thread about my future here, so...get over there. Read it.

Patroller
    Yes, me too, but we still both got it many months after America.

Cheesethief
    actually i got it (the Uk edition) a bit early- WHSmith mistakenly put it on shelves a few weeks or something before it was "released".
    Which still puts it at "a few months ago". The end of January is when WHSmith put it out, if my memory serves (which, as Keyla pointed out, was still four months after the US release). That makes the gap between the two UK releases roughly half a year, which is suspect when they've followed a twelve month release schedule since the early books.

Again, I'm not saying the release date is inaccurate; I'd just be skeptical about it.
    ~Martin the Warrior~

"A poet is a musician who can't sing. Words have to find a man's mind before they can touch his heart, and some men's minds are woeful small targets. Music touches their hearts directly no matter how small or stubborn the mind of the man who listens."

HA! mtw is jealous cos we get Rak Tam a whole month before you!!! Or not.
    anyways, id like to see the uk cover.
    incidentally, martin's number of posts is 1313...
    Hey, buds. I haven't been here in, well, a good while. Last visited January 9th...Well, I'm sorry to have forgotten you guys. Some of you (Most, I hope) will remember me, and others will, I'm sure, have been told about me, and warned to lock up their daughters and wives. Heh. Anyway, I'm posting a thread about my future here, so...get over there. Read it.

Originally posted by Chelki Sureshot
    Two kidnapped Redwall maidents. How much ya wanna bet that one's a mouse and the other's a squirrel? [/B]
    Chances are that they're both squirrels, since Brian Jacques has incorperated a love interest for any of the main characters since Taggerung he'll most likely make both maidens the love interest for Rakkety Tam amd Doogie Plum. Or maybe there be a love triangle between the Rak and Doog.
    Sometimes I here through the night,
    Dreaming of those far-flung days.
    I'll gaze into the fire's warm light,
    As if into sunlit haze.
    And here they come, those comrades mine,
    Laughing, happy, brave to see,
    Untarished by the dust of time,
    Forever fresh in memory.
    The way we march, the feast so grand,
    I'll tell you of them all,
    From Salamandastron's west strand,
    And north up to Redwall.
    Of the high adventures each new dawn,
    As side by side we stood in war,
    This tale is told that you may learn,
    Just what true friends are for.

The Ballad of Tammo

Originally posted by Cheesethief
    How exactly did you reach that conclusion?

Sandstripe
    Chances are that they're both squirrels, since Brian Jacques has incorperated a love interest for any of the main characters since Taggerung he'll most likely make both maidens the love interest for Rakkety Tam amd Doogie Plum. Or maybe there be a love triangle between the Rak and Doog.
    I'd say that's unlikely. Love triangles have never been BJ's style, nor has quarreling friends (unless it's good natured, which is something it's hard to imagine a love triangle being).

Also, Brian tends to focus on adventures over relationships. He's done a few (Matthias & Cornflower, Martin & Laterose, Gonff & Columbine, Mattimeo & Tess), but more often than not it's only alluded to, there for people to read between the lines if they so wish (as was the case between Mariel & Dandin, Songbreeze & Dannflower, etc.) So, I wouldn't say there's a "love interest" role that has to be filled in Rakkety Tam (but, then again, I could be wrong. ).
    ~Martin the Warrior~

He gets books at least a month before theyre released, in either country. How do you think he has the reviews posted? The publisher ships him a copy. Or someone else.

SEE?! i knew he was in the mafia!!!

Patroller
    I think the idea of conventional romance has been exhausted in the series, to a certain extent. While such relationships still occur in the series, eg. Fwirl and Broggle, they're not central. Some have said this is a sign of decline in the series- yes, I know, *yawn*; how often this comes up in some forums- but I would say it is rather Brian developing and varying the series. The brave-warrior-marrying-fair-maiden style of male/female relationship is overly common and going against this grain is a plus in my book. If they are "damsels in distress" I should imagine romance would be somewhat tongue in cheek and playful as Brian is so excellant at doing, a light surface over a deeper friendship.

As for a "love triangle" it would again be most likely playful, unless, of course, he decides to start in a far darker direction. Jealousy is an emotional too black to be associated with the typical Redwall hero.