Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Dragons in Redwall?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dragons in Redwall?

Dragons in Redwall?

Absurd as it may sound, could there be dragons in the world of Redwall? In Mossflower when Martin and co. went to Salamandastron they had already heard of the "fire lizards". maybe they HAD inhabited the mountain long ago. Also, the searats were scared away from the shores because of the dragons. Thoughts?
    Hey, buds. I haven't been here in, well, a good while. Last visited January 9th...Well, I'm sorry to have forgotten you guys. Some of you (Most, I hope) will remember me, and others will, I'm sure, have been told about me, and warned to lock up their daughters and wives. Heh. Anyway, I'm posting a thread about my future here, so...get over there. Read it.

well the creatures BJ uses are native to Britain...and dragons are a medieval British concept...so who knows.

I'd like him to bring the toads back. And vary up the lizard mix a bit more.
    -Lord Trawnbull Thickstripe(TBT)

The Redwall Wiki - Redwall information & news

Patroller
    I doubt Brian would use creatures such as dragons, unicorns etc. Of course, in the past there have been creatures, such as the Deepcoiler, which we aren't given a specific species for appear legendary, but there is generally a feasable biological explanation for what they are. I should imagine the nearest we'll ever get is a salamander, the creature whereafter the Fire Mountain was named. Brian doesn't seem to be against having foreign creatures in moderation, such as hamsters, moniter lizards and wolverines.

As to whether the "fire lizards" that inhabited the mountain at one time were dragons, I have two ideas: either they were salamanders as the name suggested or they are simply legends invented by badgerlords with no actual historical basis.

Dibbun

Re: Dragons in Redwall?

Originally posted by Cheesethief
    Also, the searats were scared away from the shores because of the dragons. Thoughts?
    Myths, myths, myths. How else would the badgerlords scare away enemies?
    Sincerely,
    Lady Kediassa

"Oh mighty warriors lead me through this dreadful rain,
    Guide me through this cruel pain.
    Please, strong lords clasp me by the heavy paw,
    And help me if I am to fall-
    Save me from haunting ghosts,
    And the ones that hurt me most.
    Hold me tight donít let me go.
    Or Iíll fall into the paws of awful foe.
    Help me through this battered trail-
    And end this crestfallen tale."

Registered User Slagar the Cruel's Avatar
    To quote "Ask Brian", Vol. 1 -
    12. Have you ever thought of using mythological creatures in your stories? Not that I don't adore them the way they are, but I'd like to see how the Redwallers would react if a dragon swooped in or a goblin began haunting the GateHouse! (Emma Hite, Bow, Washington)

No - I have used creatures that I know mostly and tried to imbibe mystery here and there into some creatures whose species is not specified, but I am not a fan of sword and sorcery so that I will never have goblins or dragons or any purely mythical creatures in my world of Redwall.
    Straight from the man himself. There will be no dragons in the Redwall series - which I personally find quite relieving.

Yes, it wouldn't be the same if real dragons were in Redwall. 'Fire Lizards' is probably referring to an old myth that gives a reason as to why lava (probably) came out of it at one time, as it was, I believe, formerly a volcano.

no, i would hate to see a dragon. redwall would turn into another corny worked up piece of rubbish. but i was wondering if the concept has ever been realised in the world of mossflower.
    Hey, buds. I haven't been here in, well, a good while. Last visited January 9th...Well, I'm sorry to have forgotten you guys. Some of you (Most, I hope) will remember me, and others will, I'm sure, have been told about me, and warned to lock up their daughters and wives. Heh. Anyway, I'm posting a thread about my future here, so...get over there. Read it.

BJ should stick to real creatures not dragons. And just imagine the size of dragons to say a mouse. Now that'd be scary.
    ~ YdAl EzLeEb

Yeah, if he added dragons, he would be seen as trying to rip off Eragon (another good book, only longer and more violent).
    GREAT !
    YOU FULFILED YOUR MISSION.
    IT WILL REVIVE PEACE IN SPACE.
    BUT,IT MAY BE INVADED BY THE OTHER METROID.
    PRAY FOR A TRUE PEACE IN SPACE !

Only if Eragon has mice in it. I've never read it so I don't know.

But as for the dragon idea... it would be neat, but it would completely ruin the feel of the books.

Yes, I know this topic is over the dreaded year mark, but there's no real harm in it.
    Enter the Castle of Professor Falliss. Who knows: you might make it out alive.

http://z13.invisionfree.com/Midnight...wer/index.php?

Patroller: General Ferahgo the Assassin's Avatar
    Something else ripping off Eragon? There's a scary thought.
    "Luck, good or bad, is not the hand of God. Luck is the way the wind swirls and dust settles eons after God has passed by." - Winston Niles Rumsfoord, The Sirens of Titan

And more violent? Ah, but Eragon doesn't have discriptions like in the first chapter of High Rhulain or the chapter in Redwall when we first meet Cluny.
    -LB

Quote Originally Posted by Swordmaster
    Yeah, if he added dragons, he would be seen as trying to rip off Eragon (another good book, only longer and more violent).
    Dragons have existed since humans have been around. Paolini is hardly the first to use them.

As for dragons in Redwall, I'm against it. Unless Jacques put in several other fantasy creatures, having a dragon would just seem out of place.

You'd have to pop in a few elves, an army of Deepcoilers, rotting zombies, and a Balrog. Can you imagine Matthias trying to beat a Balrog?
    GREAT !
    YOU FULFILED YOUR MISSION.
    IT WILL REVIVE PEACE IN SPACE.
    BUT,IT MAY BE INVADED BY THE OTHER METROID.
    PRAY FOR A TRUE PEACE IN SPACE !

Well the sword of Martin is magical, remember?
    -LB