Thread: The Ribbajack reviewed by Cheese

The Ribbajack reviewed by Cheese

Sorry TBT, had to do that. Anyway, I ordered it before anyone else on the web and it arrived yesterday. So, I ripped open the envelope...and got down to reading.
    First of all, I noticed most of the stories were set a fair time in the past. Several could've been set in America two, though it is unlikely. The length was also erratic. In case you didn't know, there were six stories, several were long, but a few (namely Rosie's Pet) were too short. Also, the main characters were mostly in their teens. Anyway, here's the review.

THE RIBBAJACK- A good story. possibly ripping off Harry Potter, but knowingly so. Set in the 30s. Mysteries, such as Archibald's parents, and the rubies, added to the flavour. The Sky Pilot was great, and I liked the tales of The East. The Ribbajack didn't make much of an impact though. Quite long. About 8/10.

A SMILE AND A WAVE- Spooky. The only really scary one. Very short, but good. Liked the twist at the end. Again, lots of strange mysteries. You must read it through a few times to understand. 7 or 8/10.

THE ALL IRELAND CHAMPION VERSUS THE NYE ADD- Funny! Very jolly, narrated with an Irish accent t'be sure. One of my favourites. I would give it 9/10. Can't post much else without spoilers.

THE MYSTERY OF HUMA D'ESTE- Well, I figured it out. Very satisfying to read. Again, rather short, but full of life () Again, a good twist. Only 6/10 for others, but I loved it.

MIGGY MAGS AND THE MALABAR SAILOR- Enjoyed it. Set in Brian's home town. Ingenious. One for younger readers. It was witty, comparable to The One With The Small Girl in SSAGT. I liked the cook. 9/10.

ROSIE'S PET- Too short. By far. Clever story, which I liked. Probably 10/10, but for the length. It was stuffed with energy, rumbling along furiously. Loved it.
    Hey, buds. I haven't been here in, well, a good while. Last visited January 9th...Well, I'm sorry to have forgotten you guys. Some of you (Most, I hope) will remember me, and others will, I'm sure, have been told about me, and warned to lock up their daughters and wives. Heh. Anyway, I'm posting a thread about my future here, so...get over there. Read it.

Nice review Cheese man! It makes me interested in reading them. Do tell though, you said A Smile and a Wave was freaky, but was it as freaky as the Silent Hill series? Just gotta wonder when one says something is freaky.
    He's pouring his heart out to me and all I can think is, "I really want that burrito in the fridge. I'm glad I got sour cream today."

-Ferahgo the Assassin

Patroller
    To Cheese, a rock is freaky. j/k. I can't wait to get it....once I have enough money after buying all my paintball stuff.
    -rill

Sorry TBT, had to do that
    Yeah I was gonna say
    -Lord Trawnbull Thickstripe(TBT)

The Redwall Wiki - Redwall information & news

I like chickens Eddy.
    "An Army of Squirrels is still an Army."

I like chickens Eddy.
    erm...

rocks arent scary...there was one though that looked like a dinosaur once when i was like 7...i do paintball too rill!

and fell, trust me it is spooky, like silent hill. the smell described...
    Hey, buds. I haven't been here in, well, a good while. Last visited January 9th...Well, I'm sorry to have forgotten you guys. Some of you (Most, I hope) will remember me, and others will, I'm sure, have been told about me, and warned to lock up their daughters and wives. Heh. Anyway, I'm posting a thread about my future here, so...get over there. Read it.

I gotta read it now. Just gotta wait till the library gets it.
    He's pouring his heart out to me and all I can think is, "I really want that burrito in the fridge. I'm glad I got sour cream today."

-Ferahgo the Assassin

yeh, but it probably wont be for a bit unless you live near a decent one.

Considering their newest book by Brian is Loamhedge, I don't expect much.

-Ferahgo the Assassin

huh, libraries. once i asked for lord brocktree and got salamandastron. they practically forced it on me! but they are a good service t have.

Patroller

Ribbajack

I looked at this in the bookstore not expecting much but it looked surprisingly good. I didn't buy it though. The style was kind of different from the Redwall series but it looked interesting. He should write other non-Redwall books besides Castaways (if he has time).
    Member of Slagar The Cruel's Ice Hockey Horde of Doom!
    Put this in your sig to join if you're a fan of the now dead STCP/PSLAGAR.

"He's riding a cat, to find an owl, so he can look for a snake. What kind of place does this Warrior Mouse come from?"
    -Logalog

Urso Brunov
    Seven Strange and Ghostly Tales
    The Ribbajack
    etc

Patroller

Ribbajack

No, long books (like Redwall and Castaways).
    Member of Slagar The Cruel's Ice Hockey Horde of Doom!
    Put this in your sig to join if you're a fan of the now dead STCP/PSLAGAR.

"He's riding a cat, to find an owl, so he can look for a snake. What kind of place does this Warrior Mouse come from?"
    -Logalog

fair enough. but i couldnt imagine a whole different set of stories by brian. it would be weird and expensive (i gotta have em all) and it would probably be a bit silly. but maybe he could do redwall spinoffs, not like the tribes books or the childrens ones but a series of adventures to fill in some of the gaps, like longer versions of the redwall warriors code.