Thread: KOTOR 2 Preview

KOTOR 2 Preview

Another attempt at Gaming Journalism, this time at a preview of the upcoming Knights of the Old Republic 2, so let me know what you think:

Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords is the sequel to the winner of about 30 Game of the Year awards, in Xbox Game of the Year and RPG of the year. It’s scheduled for a December 5th release, and it is being developed by Obsidian Entertainment, since Bioware (maker of the original KOTOR) is busy with Jade Empire. But Obsidian is keeping faithful to Bioware’s hit. Here is all the information I have been able to gather

Gameplay: Obsidian is using the same engine that KOTOR runs on, so fighting is largely the same, only with the additions of more Force Powers, which I’ll get to in just a second.

The Story: Set five years after the original, you begin the game with a different character than you played in KOTOR. Your character was once a Jedi who at some point was exiled by the Jedi Council, before Darth Revan began his assault on the Republic, and left for the Outer Rim. Over the 5 years, you have lost touch with the Force, and you are without a lightsaber (getting it back is one of the early objectives in the game). Heading back to the Core, you find that the Republic is trying to recover from the massive war with the Sith. You also discover that the Jedi Order has been disbanded and that the Sith have systematically been hunting the Jedi. Turns out you are the last known surviving Jedi, and it is your duty to restore it (or not, if you want to follow the Dark Side). You are not the last Jedi, however, and you will meet others who come out of hiding as you progress in the story. You start out the game on Peragus Station, a remote medical facility on an asteroid, with no memories of who you are, why you are there or how you got hurt, yada, yada, yada. Your first mission in the game is to get off the station, and suspicously you have to do this is on the Ebon Hawk, your ship from the first game, but it is in need of repairs (of course) so you must repair it. To tie this game to the original, early conversations in the game will ask you what you remember happening, and your answers will set up what sort of attitude your character starts the game with and will affect some later conversations. The story will give enough explanation so that those who haven’t played the first one (and you have no excuse for not playing it) will know what happened. That’s about all we know so far, but I expect there to be an uber plot twist (like the first game), along with battles with many different Sith Lords along the way.

New Characters: Only a few new characters are known, and they are listed below.

Darth Sion- A Sith Lord who has been injured to the point that his whole skeleton has been completely shattered and rebuilt, and his body is one big mass of rotting flesh and bruises. He is in constant excruciating pain, and he is only kept alive by the power of the Dark Side and sheer will of hate.

Mira- A female bounty hunter, whose main weapon is a Boba Fett-esque wrist rocket launcher. She is a mercenary, but a kind-hearted one, and will only kill in self-defense.

Krea- An old, female Jedi who will reacquaint you with the Force in the early game

Atton Rand- A man of the Han Solo variety

Many characters from the original game will also make an appearance, and we know for sure that your old faithful astromech droid T3-M4 will join you. Obsidian has even said that you have not completely escaped your former self from KOTOR, and that the saga of Revan will be continued in KOTOR 2.

New Planets: A few new planets in the game have been named.

Telos- Carth Onasi (from the first game)’s home planet. It has been heavily devastated by the many Sith bombardments, and it’s ecosystem is in the process of being rebuilt by the green thumb Ithorians, from the orbiting Citadel station.

Dxun- The largest moon of the Onderon system. It is populated by some of the most dangerous predators in the known galaxy, and it’s surface is full of wreckage of the Mandalorian War. The Sith have recently been interested in some ancient structures on the planet

Will you choose the Light and become the hope of the galaxy, or succumb to the Dark and begin an era of never before seen evil?

The Light/Dark side mechanics are still the same, with a few new additions. Characters in your party are affected by your alignment, so you could save someone from the Dark Side, or corrupt the moral, giving KOTOR 2 even more incentive to play Light and Dark. Also, some characters will only join you if you are aligned a certain way, allowing for multiple different playthroughs. Along with choosing a side of the Force, your early Jedi classes are the same as in the original- Jedi Guardian (a better warrior), Jedi Consular (better with the Force) and Jedi Sentinel (a mix of the two)- at higher levels, you gain access to the “Master Classes”, which are more specialized in their abilities and Force Powers available to each class. Each side has three classes, and they are as follows:

Light Side-

Weapons Master- Think Mace Windu. Basically, an even better Jedi Guardian, with better combat feats and increased damage resistance

Jedi Master- An even better Consular. A Jedi more in tune with the Force. Jedi Masters will regain Force Points faster than other Jedi, and will be able to use the Force with more proficiency and give added bonus to party members. Jedi Masters could probably get away with using some Dark Side powers (think Yoda from Episode 2, when he used Force lightning) since mastery of the Force includes knowing the Dark Side

Jedi Watchman- These Jedi are responsible for protecting individual planets or sectors from the Dark Side, and consequently must be a balance between Master and Weapons Master. (Obi-Wan Kenobi, anyone?)

Dark Side-

Sith Assassin- these Sith rely on the powers of camouflage and stealth to accomplish their evil goals.

Sith Marauder- the Sith equivalent of the Jedi Weapons Master

Sith Lord- what would a game subtitled “The Sith Lords” be without the ability to become one? Sith Lords have are masters the Dark Side powers, and use their strength of mind to bend the will of others. Sith Lords do not need to use a weapon

New Powers: While the exact number is unknown, several new ones have been revealed, and you can expect even more when you finally get to play the game.

Force Crush- Shatter an opponent’s body with the Dark Side

Fury- become powerful with the Dark Side, gaining even more power for every enemy you kill

Scream- stun enemies with a powerful scream powered by the Dark Side

Rage- increase the damage you deal with a weapon

Battle Meditation- simultaneously raise your party’s stats and decreases your opponent’s

Force Sight- see through certain objects and see a person’s alignment

Clairvoyance- glimpse into the future, gaining possible clues about what is coming, but remember, it may not always be accurate. Always in motion is the future….

Graphics: Much improved over the original, there is now better lighting and new weather effects. Hopefully they can improve facial expressions of other characters when in a conversation.

Other tidbits: some other additions to the game are more complex animations as you gain mastery of Feats and Force Powers, the ability to deconstruct and rebuild weapons, along with new Lightsaber color and enhancement crystals

Additions that would be pretty cool: They should change the look of the Jedi robes, since the ones in the last game looked more like skirts, and if you wanted to use most Force Powers you had to use them. More diverse Jedi and Sith clothing would be a welcome improvement, along with some cool Vader-style armor. Also, NPCs should react to your appearance. These are just my thoughts, but here’s hoping.
    Last edited by Jodan; October 1st, 2004 at 04:41 PM.

Come on people, I need some feedback here. Tell me honestly what you think, so I can make my writing better. Any comments or suggestions you have, I want to hear them.

Apparently in KOTOR 2, you get to go back to Korriban, but it's a different place.

And from IGN, I quote- "Korriban is a graveyard world that has died twice -- once when it served as the burial grounds of the ancient lords of the Sith, and again, when the end of the Jedi Civil War brought death to Korriban. There are half-whispered rumors and speculations of what took place on Korriban after Malak's defeat -- some claim that the remaining Sith Lords fought amongst themselves for control, while others claim that the Republic itself attacked Korriban and destroyed the Sith Academy on its surface. Whatever the case, there are few in the Republic willing to speak of it, and there are no Sith remaining to ask what transpired there.

All that remain on Korriban's surface are beasts and echoes, ghosts of the dead that still walk and whisper the ancient teachings of the Sith. To touch down within its windswept canyons and blood-red skies is to be filled with a sense of unease - then a slow dread, as the evil of Korriban begins to take hold. There are also tales of dark side beasts, the Hssiss, that now stalk its surface, and even more sinister dangers lurking within hidden tombs within the Valley of the Sith Lords.

Once the staging ground of two empires, now Korriban belongs only to the dead -- and their secrets."

And once again, tell me what you think of my original preview of KOTOR 2. I would have put the above IGN article in my own words, but I didn't have time.

I'd say it was good.

A couple suggestions:
    I think you should not jump around. By that I mean when you had the gameplay section, you should have went into it, instead of going into the story and then back into the gameplay.
    Graphics and Other Tidbits also seemed way too short in comparison to the rest.

I too am considering going into game journalism. I'll type something up when I have more free time.
    He's pouring his heart out to me and all I can think is, "I really want that burrito in the fridge. I'm glad I got sour cream today."

-Ferahgo the Assassin

Yeah, I'll try to remember to stick to one thing at a time.

And the graphics/and other tidbits sections were both short because the graphics are better, but not by a whole lot and the other tidbits was just the random info I knew about the game that didn't belong anywhere else.

Here's the thing, you say their slightly better, but what does this mean to someone who has not even played the first one? You can't assume that everyone who reads your preview has played the first. I've never played the first, so its pretty much lost on me saying the graphics are slightly better than the first.
    He's pouring his heart out to me and all I can think is, "I really want that burrito in the fridge. I'm glad I got sour cream today."

-Ferahgo the Assassin

Ok, I see what you're saying. I'll keep that in mind.