Thread: Loamhedge

Loamhedge

I just finished reading Loamhedge, and thought it kind of decrepit compared to the other books in the series. All of the characters that are met along the way are little more than background or a way to move the story along. They didn't seem as unique as the similar characters in other books are, nor are they as well developed. When exploring Loamhedge, they didn't do a whole lot. I was really looking forward to the exploration of the ruins and learning about the history of Loamhedge, but we learned little. And in the end, it was all for naught, which just seemed kind of a waste of time. It seemed like Brian Jacques just wanted to take a year off, and write a half-developed tale.

Patroller: General Ferahgo the Assassin's Avatar
    I didn't like Loamhedge at all. It was probably my second or third least favorite in the series.

I particularly felt that the characters were lacking. Horty was incredibly annoying and his two friends (I don't even remember their names) were very unremarkable and uninteresting. I also thought there were a few major flaws in the plot. The way that Martha's handicap was dealt with was really bad in my opinion, and made the journey (which comprised most of the plot) seem worthless and insignificant.

And at the end BJ killed off two of the only decent characters.

Raga Bol was also one of the worst villians of the series. But as vermin go, one of the few redeeming factors to me was the small bumbling vermin gang with Flinky and Redd and the rest. They were alright, especially Flinky.

Still ... it was a Redwall book so I can't complain too much. It was just not one of the better ones for sure.
    "Luck, good or bad, is not the hand of God. Luck is the way the wind swirls and dust settles eons after God has passed by." - Winston Niles Rumsfoord, The Sirens of Titan

that and the fact that it had nothing to do with Loamhedge.
    -Lord Trawnbull Thickstripe(TBT)

The Redwall Wiki - Redwall information & news

loamhedge is almost certainly my least favourite. just as it looked as though there would be a nice bit about loamhedge, perhaps a flashback, or a nice bit of plot looked on the horizon, it spluttered and petered out.
    Hey, buds. I haven't been here in, well, a good while. Last visited January 9th...Well, I'm sorry to have forgotten you guys. Some of you (Most, I hope) will remember me, and others will, I'm sure, have been told about me, and warned to lock up their daughters and wives. Heh. Anyway, I'm posting a thread about my future here, so...get over there. Read it.

I thought it was okay, better then Lord Brocktree and The Outcast of Redwall in my opinion. Saro and Bragoon made the story and Lonna was the most interesting badger warrior I've read about since Russano and Sagaxus, Horty was indeed annoying but that is pretty common in most hares, I personally have nothing against Fenna and Springal they were okay characters, Raga Bol was your typical tyrant hence nothing much, Flinky was probably my favorite character in the book, he veared away from the typical vermin sterotype, he was intelligent, cunning, generally clean, and concerned for the wellbeing of his group... looks like he was Irish too (I like the Irish ). Personally I expected Badredd to be abandon, banished, or killed by one of the two vermin groups.
    Sometimes I here through the night,
    Dreaming of those far-flung days.
    I'll gaze into the fire's warm light,
    As if into sunlit haze.
    And here they come, those comrades mine,
    Laughing, happy, brave to see,
    Untarished by the dust of time,
    Forever fresh in memory.
    The way we march, the feast so grand,
    I'll tell you of them all,
    From Salamandastron's west strand,
    And north up to Redwall.
    Of the high adventures each new dawn,
    As side by side we stood in war,
    This tale is told that you may learn,
    Just what true friends are for.

The Ballad of Tammo

Worst book in the series. The only things that kept me from putting it away was the small group of vermin.

Not one of the worst. I know it was a waste of time for Bragoon and Saro to go. Martha didn't need the secret potion. I think Mariel of Redwall was the worst of all books.
    I am leaving this site because some people have been unfriendly to me. People who insult me about my age, people who just aren't friendly to newbies. You all know who you are,but I am glad to see that some people on this sight are friendly like Cinnabarr Rivershell and The Red Badger. Thank you for helping me.

I actually liked it.
    Two of the best characters killed off? Yeah, it's called "life". Saro and Bragoon said themselves that they wouldn't have wanted to die a boring death, becoming creaky old beasts. And as for it being a waste of time to go, that's called "life" too. Bad stuff happens, it's certainly a more realistic outlook than having the questors find a magical cure and return home, and live happily ever after.
    Even if Horty didn't mature much (he wasn't half as irritating as Scarum), Springald and Fenna did. Rather than a young "warrior at heart" who can just pick up a weapon and use it with no prior training, we get three young critters who actually make mistakes, and pay for 'em.
    I'll admit, Martha's recovery is a little...crazy. But it beats a magical potion in a series that lacks magic.
    And besides...Flinky rocks. To quote a friend: "He Pwns!"
    Pacific Ocean spotted off East Coast!

Patroller: General Ferahgo the Assassin's Avatar
    Even if Horty didn't mature much (he wasn't half as irritating as Scarum).
    That's true, and it's one of the reasons why Loamhedge is my second least favorite of the series and Triss is my least favorite.
    "Luck, good or bad, is not the hand of God. Luck is the way the wind swirls and dust settles eons after God has passed by." - Winston Niles Rumsfoord, The Sirens of Titan

ack! triss was the worst! loamhedge was second worst, in my book.
    Hey, buds. I haven't been here in, well, a good while. Last visited January 9th...Well, I'm sorry to have forgotten you guys. Some of you (Most, I hope) will remember me, and others will, I'm sure, have been told about me, and warned to lock up their daughters and wives. Heh. Anyway, I'm posting a thread about my future here, so...get over there. Read it.

Yeah. I think Triss was just a regular as all of the other books. Raketty Tam was better. They put a new animal in which was cool.
    I am leaving this site because some people have been unfriendly to me. People who insult me about my age, people who just aren't friendly to newbies. You all know who you are,but I am glad to see that some people on this sight are friendly like Cinnabarr Rivershell and The Red Badger. Thank you for helping me.

I'm reading Loamhedge right now, I'm past halfway and I think it's an okay book. I'd probably rank it somewhere in the middle of the redwall series but I need to finish it before I decide that or not. So far I like Lonna and Bragoon. Bragoon's just so fearless and tough, and Lonna, well lets just say if I were a vermin, I would not want to mess with him at all, even if I thought I killed him.

why?
    i found it very interesting....

Patroller
    I personally enjoyed it, ranking it about middle in the series. Of the most recent releases I enjoyed it more than "Triss" and "Lord Brocktree" but less than "The Taggerung" and "Rakkety Tam". There were some excellant characters. With Sarabando, Bragoon and Martha we got a perspective different from Brian's usual "hero voice"- now my favourite Redwall-specific analytical term, having nicked it from Delia of Terrouge's "Rakkety Tam" review- and they weren't your average young bods out to prove themselves to their elders or to become a great warrior. The two oldbeasts had a real sense of nostalgia and sadness about them that really caught me. They didn't have a conventional character arch but were simply engaging to read about. Martha, while a Mary-Sue in some people's eyes, was also a nice change. Yes, she may appear to be a Miss Goody-two-shoes initially but I think we get a good sense of her isolation from her peers. Her growth towards becoming more involved in the abbey, speaking her mind, participating in the war effort, leads well towards her learning to walk. Just as she comes out of herself emotionally, so she does physically. I was happy to see her not become abbess but rather a more active voice of wisdom in the abbey community.
    Lonna, while somewhat yet another vengeful badger, actually developed this theme of loneliness further and the way he was written had a certain capacity to make me feel uncomfortable. There was a real darkness about him that gave the tale an interesting edge.
    Horty, Fenna and Springald were not Brian's first rebellious youths but they are most certainly the most cuttingly portrayed. While one can somewhat sympathise with characters such as Sagax and especially Mara who feel confined by the way of life in Salamandastron Brian ruthlessly shows these teenagers as capricious and downright egocentric. There development doesn't simply happen in huge jumps but moves gradually. One chapter we see there nobler sides being brought out, such as Horty defending the group, but in the next they slide back a pace or two, once again failing to show maturity. Even after the death of Sarabando and Bragoon they are sobered but Brian does not pretend they have fully grown up yet. Fenna does not immediately become Abbess; Horty must join the ranks of the Long Patrol. This is far closer to reality than simple changes.
    As others have said, Flinky and Badredd were great.
    "Loamheadge" isn't perfect- What novel is?- but I personally rather liked it.

Well said Keyla.
    Sometimes I here through the night,
    Dreaming of those far-flung days.
    I'll gaze into the fire's warm light,
    As if into sunlit haze.
    And here they come, those comrades mine,
    Laughing, happy, brave to see,
    Untarished by the dust of time,
    Forever fresh in memory.
    The way we march, the feast so grand,
    I'll tell you of them all,
    From Salamandastron's west strand,