Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Most Influential Individual in Human History
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most Influential Individual in Human History

Most Influential Individual in Human History

Who do you think the most influential human being in the enitre history of our species is, and why? I'm going to have to go with Jesus on that one. Regardless of whether you believe he was the Son of God or not, the impact of his life and teachings can be seen since his birth to today. No one life has ever affected the world for so long in such a profound way.

I'd have to agree with you on that one. Nobody else comes close.
    ~p

In the middle ground between futile revolution and blind materialism is the direct experience.

Adolf Hitler is the first person who comes to my mind.
    Why? Because he caused World War II, he actually got people to follow him and his crazy ideas, he ordered a mass genocide of a people, etc.
    Last edited by Cinnabarr Rivershell; November 15th, 2004 at 11:32 PM. Reason: forgot my reason
    -Cinnabarr Rivershell

I run therefore I am

Alexander the Great maybe.
    -Lord Trawnbull Thickstripe(TBT)

The Redwall Wiki - Redwall information & news

Quote Originally Posted by Jodan
    Who do you think the most influential human being in the enitre history of our species is, and why?
    A little correction, Jesus wasn't exactly human. While an influencial individual, Jesus, is part of the Trinity. Granted, yes he was in the appearance of man, but he is the Son of God. (PS: Don't worry, I am a Christian.)
    Jandura's Best Movies list:

Braveheart
    Gladiator
    Equilibrium
    Constantine
    Serenity
    We Were Soldiers
    The Matrix Trilogy
    The Lord of the Rings

Never listen to the critics. Go see the movie for yourself.

and you did say "History". That would indicate there is an official chronicled record. Many people don't consider the Bible to be fact, so that kinda nixes that.

Confucious might be...

A little correction, Jesus wasn't exactly human. While an influencial individual, Jesus, is part of the Trinity. Granted, yes he was in the appearance of man, but he is the Son of God. (PS: Don't worry, I am a Christian.)
    As a Roman Catholic I was brought up on the belief that Jesus was both man and God. So, in my perception on things Jesus can be an influential individual because he was a man. He was a mortal, who felt like all mortals, who could feel pain and could die like all mortals. Yet, he was God as well. Its very difficult to understand, but that is how the Vatican states it and how I was taught. Now I know that there are different sects of Christians in the world and they have different beliefs, but that's just what Roman Catholics believe.
    -Cinnabarr Rivershell

I run therefore I am

Gee, we'd better start arguing, it's been too long since our last argument.

Alexander the Great is a good one, I hadn't thought of him. Maybe whoever Christianized/civilised Britain would be up there too, because he started the ball rolling with the British Empire, which begat America and Australia and had a big influence in India.

It's a pretty well established fact that Jesus did in fact exist, you'd have to have big balls and not many brains to claim that he never existed.
    Last edited by PiarasJ; November 16th, 2004 at 04:04 AM. Reason: Got my facts muddled
    ~p

In the middle ground between futile revolution and blind materialism is the direct experience.

Most likely Jesus...
    From an asian point of view, maybe Qin Shi Huang... after all, he is credited with building the Great Wall, and standardizing the chinese written word.

It's a pretty well established fact that Jesus did in fact exist, you'd have to have big balls and not many brains to claim that he never existed.
    Without using the Bible, Quran, or Torah, prove it.

England Positively Rules (and Scotland, says Cheesethief)
    Me!

No, I agree with everyone else. Jesus, even if he wasn't *exactly* 100% human.
    I personally find that the world limit in a signature is far too short for my liking; I have so many wonderful ideas that I could put in here, yet there is not enough space! In the previous few days, I have tried to copy and paste several interesting essays into this miniscule space, but none have worked. I feel imprisoned by these ridiculous restrictions and would like a word with the administrator! There is absolutely no reason for this save for the conservation of bandwith, which admittedly

Maybe whoever Christianized/civilised Britain would be up there too
    That'd be St. Augustine.

What about Einstein? Okay, he's relatively recent, but, in centuries to come...who knows?
    I like to eat thingssssss

First of all, Jesus was human. There is a reason the Nicene Creed says "Became Man". I thought there were non-religous records kept by the Romans, but I'm not sure.

Patroller: General Ferahgo the Assassin's Avatar
    Einstein is a good one, especially in the context of future events. Keep in mind the fact that not only the "end" of WWII (obviously) but every other future/current war utilizing atomic weapons originated (more or less) with Einstein's mathematics.
    "Luck, good or bad, is not the hand of God. Luck is the way the wind swirls and dust settles eons after God has passed by." - Winston Niles Rumsfoord, The Sirens of Titan

Patroller
    I would say either Jesus, followed by Mohammad (pick your spelling) and Abraham. Regardless of whether he is Son of God Christianity has shaped the history of the world the most significantly of all religions it is the one most followed today. As founder of Islam Mohammad is clearly significant too. Abraham is not only founder of Judaism but also the guy who set up the premise for Christianity and Islam. Moses is clearly significant too. Then we have the Budha, of course, and a Hindu would say one of the various incarnations of one of the manefestations of Brahman. But in general Jesus.

Just to clarify, most people would say that Jesus was fully human. Those who do not believe he was the Son of God believe him to have been a man while the New Testament states that he was both fully man and fully God. The only people who have really held it as their creed that he wasn't fully man are, if I'm remembering the right group, the Gnostics and I don't think there are many of them about.

What about Einstein? Okay, he's relatively recent, but, in centuries to come...who knows?
    It's hard to pick one physicist over others. Clearly there have been some big names- Newton; Maxwell; Einstein; Schroedinger- but I think it is hard to call one the greatest. It's interesting to think who will be the next to join them. I guess if someone finds a unifying theory that fully works then I suppose they might, but these things tend to be more of joint effort than in those times.