Thread: Problems with the plot

I don't remember...Isn't it nice to be lost?

Problems with the plot

Has anyone noticed that in the Outcast of Redwall, even after being raised among the upperclass, Veil still has a cockney accent? With the acception of moles and some otters, everyone has upper class accents. raised among them, so should Veil. What's up with that? These kinds of things bother me.

Your accent is not always determined by your "parental" upbringing, but by the people you see as your peers I find. I speak with a middle-class North York slur, despite having a mother from southern Toronto who is from a relatively high class. Now accents in Toronto are not anywhere remotely close to the differences of accents in London say, but there are tiny discrepancies between them. I ended up speaking not like my mother, but like my friends from my first school near my home. I am still reletivly well off, and I now I'm going to a relatively rich school farther south. Oddly enough... now my classmates constantly asking me to repeat myself!

My point is...it doesn't always work that way exactly. It's possible that Veil saw the otters and moles at more of his level, and took after them more. I haven't read the book for a while. Maybe I'll drag it out tonight and see.

England Positively Rules (and Scotland, says Cheesethief)
    Well, in Redwall the accents don't depend on the area - moles that live by themselves or haven't known mole company for a long time still speak like moles, right? (With the exception of Egbert). They depend of the species, so seeing as Veil was technically vermin he should speak like vermin.

...Right?
    I personally find that the world limit in a signature is far too short for my liking; I have so many wonderful ideas that I could put in here, yet there is not enough space! In the previous few days, I have tried to copy and paste several interesting essays into this miniscule space, but none have worked. I feel imprisoned by these ridiculous restrictions and would like a word with the administrator! There is absolutely no reason for this save for the conservation of bandwith, which admittedly

They depend of the species, so seeing as Veil was technically vermin he should speak like vermin.
    Ah, but the point is that species really shouldn't determine your accent. Language and accent are something that's learned. If I had grown up in, say, Japan, and then learned english as a second language, I'd still have a Japanese accent, despite the fact that I'm not Asian.*
    Veil and Tagg, who were both raised outside their "class", haved mixed up accents. Veil was raised among well-spoken creatures, and his accent should reflect that, if not his behavior. Tagg, despite being raised by vermin, has no accent. Not even an otter one (he said "matey" just once, right?). He speaks near-perfect english. Where he learned it, I've no idea...

*My written english is pretty good, but speaking? UTTER HORROR. My english teacher refuses to let me blame my grammar on my accent.
    Pacific Ocean spotted off East Coast!

Tagg, despite being raised by vermin, has no accent. Not even an otter one (he said "matey" just once, right?). He speaks near-perfect english. Where he learned it, I've no idea...
    Now that I DID find a little wierd. He would have no place to learn it.

Patroller: General Josiah the Warrior's Avatar
    Vermin say matey, you guys. And Sawney was fairly well spoken, as was the vixen (drat! forget her name....) an d Antigra spoke in the Shakespearean "thee's" and "thou's" and "art's" if I recall correctly....
    -Josiah the Warrior

"Life's a game; fight for survival and see if you're worth it."
    -Battle Royale

Shakespearean "thee's" and "thou's"
    Shakespearean? You do realise that he didn't just make them up right? They were once words of the common English language.

I know, but it's more easily identifiable as Shakespearian. It used to be the way most Europeans talked, but because I forget the time period and specific countries, I decided to go with the simpler classification of Shakespearian.
    -Josiah the Warrior

-Battle Royale

Earth is a planet of extremes...a planet of extreme places, and extreme animals. But some animals are more extreme than others.....
    as was the vixen (drat! forget her name....)
    Grissoul. Who was the seer of Sawney Rath, then Gruven, then Ruggan Bor. Unless you mean Ruggan Bor's original seer Ermath.

I don't remember...Isn't it nice to be lost?
    generally, (at least what I've noticed) is when you grow up in a certain area, you adopt the accent of those around you. If someone was born in say, Germany, and they learned to speak english later on in their life, they would speak with a german accent, simply because they grew up in Germany. it seems Veil would have taken on the upper class accent.

It helps make him "different" from the rest of the Redwallers, for starters.

I think it could be that because he was with the vermin as an infant that they made an impression on him that could not be shaken when he was raised at the Abbey.... For example, I was raised in the south (yee-haw! ) but my parents were New Yorkers, so I do not have a southern accent despite the fact that almost everyone in my childhood towns did (but nor do I have a heavy New York accent). I mainly have an east coast accent with a trace of New York accent and very rarely a bit of southern will creep up in my voice as well.
    -Josiah the Warrior

-Battle Royale