Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Favorite Character?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Character?

Patroller: General Ferahgo the Assassin's Avatar

Favorite Character?

Okay, nobody has started any new Rakkety Tam threads in a while, so I'll throw one out there. Who was everyone's favorite RT character, and why?

I'd have to say that Shard was my favorite vermin. It's always nice to see an unusually intelligent vermin soldier, and I was really disappointed to see him die. And you've got to admit that arctic foxes are just plain cool.

I was kind of disappointed with Gulo. Maybe it's just me, but I found him to be extremely underdeveloped for a vermin warlord. Any thoughts?

Tam himself was pretty cool, too, even though I'm getting tired of squirrels as the main characters. Rakkety Tam and Doogy's friendship was sort of reminiscent of Martin and Gonff's, in a sense. Doogy + Yoofis = Gonff.
    "Luck, good or bad, is not the hand of God. Luck is the way the wind swirls and dust settles eons after God has passed by." - Winston Niles Rumsfoord, The Sirens of Titan

I argee. Martin, make this a poll!
    -LB

Patroller
    I'd have to say Tam was my favorite character. I just thought he was neat. He had a tight bond with Doogy. He was also the first main character in a while to fall in love and marry someone. I also thought it was cool that him and Doogy wore tartan. I'm not really sick of squirrels. After all, it's the personality that counts. Shard was a pretty cool vermin but it was obvious he was going to die somehow. I didn't like Yoofus. He just made things worse and kept stealing stuff.
    Last edited by Trowbaggs; September 8th, 2004 at 04:02 PM.
    "Killing Jack Bauer doesn't make him dead. It just makes him angry."

I haven't read the book mind you, but I have skimmed through the first two or three chapters while waiting for my mom at the mall. Sofar I like Rakkety Tam Macburl, he's somewhat scottish and seems to have an interesting way of explaining things and they happened.
    Sometimes I here through the night,
    Dreaming of those far-flung days.
    I'll gaze into the fire's warm light,
    As if into sunlit haze.
    And here they come, those comrades mine,
    Laughing, happy, brave to see,
    Untarished by the dust of time,
    Forever fresh in memory.
    The way we march, the feast so grand,
    I'll tell you of them all,
    From Salamandastron's west strand,
    And north up to Redwall.
    Of the high adventures each new dawn,
    As side by side we stood in war,
    This tale is told that you may learn,
    Just what true friends are for.

The Ballad of Tammo

Dibbun
    i like doogy,doogie

any ways i like that guy.
    Rakkety Rakkety Rakkety Tam,
    The drums are beatin' braw
    Rakkety Rakkety Rakkety Tam,
    are ye marchin' off tae war?

A warrior from the boarders came,
    a buckler o'er his shoulder,
    a claymore at his side,
    there's no' a beast who's bolder!

O Rakkety Tam has sold his sword,
    Ah scarce belive he's done it.
    He swore an oath untae a fool,
    who took his pledge upon it!

Dibbun
    I have a rant...

WHAT THE HECK WAS WRONG WITH BADGER LADY MEMSAWHATEVERHERNAME!!!!! She's supposed to out witht eh Long Patrol! Not stay in her mountain!!!! IT WAS WRONG! And pink tunics?!!?!?! What teh heck was with that ????

But, Doogy and Yoofus did remind me of Gonff, I guess that's why I liked them.
    When in trouble,
    When in doubt,
    Run in cricles,
    Sceam and shout!
    Yah Slags!
    ~ A fan of STCP since 2.0 ~

Rakkety Tam. Suprising, eh? Usually i don't elect the main character as my favorite but most of the characters in the book didn't really wet my intrest. Plus his scottish garb and battle cry were fairly cool.

But the wolverine, oh Gulo oh Gulo..was i so disappointed. He was nothing more than his title, a savage with little brain and wits in him. Oh well..i can always wish for a cooler wolverine in the future books if he chooses to implent them into the storyline again. Heh..i sure hope so. Or maybe it'll just be a one time thing like those moniter lizards. -.-

Ferahgo
    I'd have to say that Shard was my favorite vermin. It's always nice to see an unusually intelligent vermin soldier, and I was really disappointed to see him die. And you've got to admit that arctic foxes are just plain cool.
    Ditto to what you said, Shard was my favorite vermin as well and i like his name. It conjures up the thought of crystal shards and ice northlands. Hmm I'm attempting some fanart of him too.

[Quote] Lacoasta
    WHAT THE HECK WAS WRONG WITH BADGER LADY MEMSAWHATEVERHERNAME!!!!! She's supposed to out witht eh Long Patrol! Not stay in her mountain!!!! IT WAS WRONG! And pink tunics?!!?!?! What teh heck was with that ????[/quote'

I know! What the freak..i thought she should of gone with the LP hares as well but it was nice to see another Lady of Salmandastron even if she was briefly in there.
    ~ YdAl EzLeEb

Somebody doesn't like the color pink...but pink doesn't have to be blindingly bright. There are all kinds of shades, one of which is obviously good for uniforms.

Back on topic, who else thought "Mister Death" was cool?
    Pacific Ocean spotted off East Coast!

Dibbun
    She said a *touching* little speech and then sat back and watched her hares march to death!!! What kind of badger Lady is that??? Yes it is nice to have another lady, but I like the ones like Cregga Rose Eyes (the vicious version) if there are Ladies.

Pink is not the right colour for the LP. Wouldn't yopu think a highly trained army would wear blues or greens or even browns and reds but pink ??? I cannot - will not - invision the great Long Patrol wearing pink to battle. Any shade of pink for that matter.

He was nothing more than his title, a savage with little brain and wits in him.
    I so agree.
    Last edited by Lacoasta; September 18th, 2004 at 08:12 PM.
    When in trouble,
    When in doubt,
    Run in cricles,
    Sceam and shout!
    Yah Slags!
    ~ A fan of STCP since 2.0 ~

Patroller: General Ferahgo the Assassin's Avatar
    Mr. Death cracked me up. Best quote of the book: "I like to eat thingssssss!" Hahaha. And Brooky's response to the adder is great.
    "Luck, good or bad, is not the hand of God. Luck is the way the wind swirls and dust settles eons after God has passed by." - Winston Niles Rumsfoord, The Sirens of Titan

the colour pink is still worn for military dress in the form of blazers i think. more ceremonial rather than field gear though.

Spoiler!
    Hey, buds. I haven't been here in, well, a good while. Last visited January 9th...Well, I'm sorry to have forgotten you guys. Some of you (Most, I hope) will remember me, and others will, I'm sure, have been told about me, and warned to lock up their daughters and wives. Heh. Anyway, I'm posting a thread about my future here, so...get over there. Read it.

Patroller
    Cheese!, you don't have to use spoiler tags. Don't get in another fight with Martin! Oh, and it looks like you were wrong about Tam having a Scottish accent. I guess I was wrong to.
    Last edited by Trowbaggs; September 24th, 2004 at 09:14 AM.
    "Killing Jack Bauer doesn't make him dead. It just makes him angry."

spoiler tags are optional. dont want to spoil it!

yeah, tam was a borderer. i think brian stayed away from the scots accent being used frequently because a minority of readers could not comprehend it.
    Hey, buds. I haven't been here in, well, a good while. Last visited January 9th...Well, I'm sorry to have forgotten you guys. Some of you (Most, I hope) will remember me, and others will, I'm sure, have been told about me, and warned to lock up their daughters and wives. Heh. Anyway, I'm posting a thread about my future here, so...get over there. Read it.

Patroller: General Chelki Sureshot's Avatar
    I dunno. I thought "Cwown Pwince Woopurt" was pretty cool.

Patroller
    Yes, I must confess I almost fell off my bed laughing when I read that.

She said a *touching* little speech and then sat back and watched her hares march to death!!! What kind of badger Lady is that??? Yes it is nice to have another lady, but I like the ones like Cregga Rose Eyes (the vicious version) if there are Ladies.
    I must jump to the defence of the good Badgerlady here, (wot wot). Cregga's marching off to face vermin a long way off from Salamandastron could have gone horribly wrong if the mountain itself had been attacked. The same goes for Rawnblade's exploits in "Mariel of Redwall". Of course, things turned out okay and fate was on their side, but their choices seem to owe a lot more to the bloodwrath than rationality. The only other example I can think of where a Badgerlord/lady has marched off from the fire mountain with an army is Russano in "(The) Taggerung". In this case he was prompted by Cregga's spirit to do so.
    Think about it from Lady Melesme's perspective. She knows there is a dangerous vermin force moving through the land but she does not know its purpose; it could be heading absoballylutely anywhere. Marching off with her army to track them down sounds all very noble and whatnot but would in truth be very misguided. What happens if Salamandastron falls while she and her hares are over to the east?

Anyway, back to the matter in hand:
    I find it really hard to choose my favourite character; there were so many that I loved. Rakkety proved a very satisfying hero, in my opinion. He wasn't just another young beast finding his or her feet in the world. He was an experienced warrior but by no means without his flaws. I enjoyed seeing the romance element reintroduced and relieved to find Armel not to be a Cornflower. Yes, she was a pretty gentle maiden but she didn't feel like she existed simply for the sake of a love interest. Just as Tam softened to the abbey way of life it was good to see how she reacted to conflict after a lifetime of peace.
    Doogy was of course great. Very amusing at times, but I felt his rather bloodthirsty nature made him more interesting than simply the humourous sidekick. However, I think the comedy prize has to go to Yoofus and Didjety. The little vole was a real charmer and I was very much endeared to him in spite of his theiving ways. What I was most taken by, however, was the ways Brian wrote the couple's relationship. It was tender without being obvious: the way he thought about what he could steal for his beloved; the way she chided him for every theft yet secretly loved him for it. I was particularly amused by the trio's spell being lost in the woods. Us men and directions.
    I was sad to see Shard and then Freeta bite the dust, but it was nice to have a little bit of politics within the group. Particularly enjoyed seeing the way the foxes played Gulo, using him as a means to their own ends. While their evilness is undeniable- they ate flesh as much as any other in the hoard- I found my self liking them.