Thread: What do Redwallers want out of the ROC?

What do Redwallers want out of the ROC?

I've read about the demise of the ROC, and how things aren't quite like the old days, but, what exactly does one want out of the ROC? I see all kinds of forums and websites, RPG places, disscusion areas, websites and encyclopedias, both small and large, public and private, tall and short, wet and dry, and er..... ahem.

The point is, I don't see what people really want out of the ROC. I may start my own website (not exactly in the near future) and I want to know what Redwallers want.

.....Calming down now.....
    Signed,
    Lord Mactalon

"Honk if you love peace and quiet!"

<a href="http://redwall.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page">The Redwall Wiki</a>

Patroller
    They want the sites that shut down ...

The thing is, a lot of people that hang around Redwall sites these days aren't into Redwall any more, but are more into the community that's been built around the sites.

Um... here's some quick advice off the top of my head. The main thing is original content. Having a list of characters doesn't cut it, and personal lists are obsolete now that wikis have come along. Do not make your site solely a forum. However, a competent site still needs a really decent forum as part of it. You need to build up a community so people will stick around. Oh. And regular updates are good. If you expect to run a successfull site, expect to have no life. A well designed, visually pleasing and easy to navigate site? I remember that everyone used to use a free program called Terragen to make their landscape graphics. You might want to use that if that's the sort of look you want. If you're going to have a club, have lots of activities. If it's an e-zine, make sure it's quality writing. Work on publicity too. Get other people to help, but don't rely on them. Learn PHP. You can do cool stuff with it, and it will make your life so much easier, especially if you decide to run a club.

Anyway, here are some sites to look at:

• Terrouge. Not so great now, but they've had some good articles (the archives are down now). I'm sick of their covers too. They became big because they were the first Redwall e-zine, had quality articles and covers, and a good forum.
    • Mossnews. One of The Four e-zines. They've got archives.
    • RWOnline. Another big e-zine. The site is gone.
    • Starfire's Redwall Abbey.Mainly got big because it was one of the oldest sites. Not much original content, but great for news and forums.
    • STCP/PSLAGAR. Home of Vermin Invaders and Haunted Abbey computer games, and Ask Slagar. Had a small yet rabid following, and I'm convinced it would have had a bigger one if Slagar had advertised it more.
    • Golden Leaf Inn. Used to put up random interesting projects from time to time.
    • Fort Ruddler. If I had joined a club, I would have joined this one. It looked well designed and had lots of stuff to do.
    • The Lyresong Empire I think looked like a good one. I think they had a sort of Roman theme and organization.
    • THE LAG! The underdog that wasn't really an underdog. The mainstream underground. You may not leave amused, but at least you'll leave disturbed. You got used to the humor after a while, and it sure was better than The Redwall Comedian. Oh man. Ask anyone who was around when it was up. It was partly run by Starfire, and I think Slagar contributed some articles. I love how they put subliminal comments in their HTML code. And their covers weren't too bad either. I think Terrouge even copied them for an issue with the barcode thing. Ok. I suddenly feel like reading all the archives now.
    • The Gatehouse. I always thought this site had a lot of activies.
    • Redwall MUCK. It's still up. I never really had time to get into it, but it looked cool. Does anyone still play it?
    • redwall.net. Ok, not so great, but had a good domain name, and everyone used to have redwall.net e-mail addresses.
    • Those are just some sites to give you ideas. I can name some other well-known sites I'm sure other people would remember like Silverpeak Island and HAWM (bird-only club), but they don't really need to be mentioned.

So that's just some pretty obvious stuff I spat out there without thinking. You can try asking some of the real oldbies about famous sites I wasn't around for like INSU.
    Last edited by Chesk Otter; June 19th, 2006 at 11:28 PM.
    Member of Slagar The Cruel's Ice Hockey Horde of Doom!
    Put this in your sig to join if you're a fan of the now dead STCP/PSLAGAR.

"He's riding a cat, to find an owl, so he can look for a snake. What kind of place does this Warrior Mouse come from?"
    -Logalog

You know, Chesk, over half those sites are no longer active.
    -Lord Trawnbull Thickstripe(TBT)

The Redwall Wiki - Redwall information & news

Patroller
    I know. That's why I used past tense and talked about archives.

None of those sites are active except for Terrouge and the MUCK. I don't know any good new sites to point him to. Do you?
    Last edited by Chesk Otter; June 20th, 2006 at 12:40 AM.

"He's riding a cat, to find an owl, so he can look for a snake. What kind of place does this Warrior Mouse come from?"
    -Logalog

None of those sites are active except for Terrouge and the MUCK. I don't know any good new sites to point him to. Do you?
    I don't know if you're seriously asking me this question or not. There is that link in my signature, but Mactalon already knows about it
    -Lord Trawnbull Thickstripe(TBT)

The Redwall Wiki - Redwall information & news

*reads The Lag* Oh my gosh... Online newspapers like The Lag and Terrouge, part humor and part serious, that's what I want out of an ROC site. Man, "There's Just Something About Martin" was worth the price of admission alone. Cluny voiced by Vincent Price... what a thought!
    Faux Pas - It's wild and domesticated reading!

Patroller
    I want the vermin to win once in a while.

Patroller
    *reads The Lag* Oh my gosh... Online newspapers like The Lag and Terrouge, part humor and part serious, that's what I want out of an ROC site. Man, "There's Just Something About Martin" was worth the price of admission alone. Cluny voiced by Vincent Price... what a thought!
    Glad new people are reading it even though it's dead. The Lag lives on!

I don't know if you're seriously asking me this question or not. There is that link in my signature, but Mactalon already knows about it
    No, it was rhetorical. And yes, in my last post I said character lists and the like of Snowfur's Redwall Encyclopedia are obsolete because of wikis. However, I should say to Mactalon: that information sites are alright for when people need to look up something fast for a discussion or whatnot and they will always be needed, but people can't browse character lists forever, and one needs to create something with fresh content and preferably some humor in order to keep a really memorable site and community going.

EDIT: Goat-sucker posted while I was typing.
    I want the vermin to win once in a while.
    There have been Vermin clubs, a prime example of success being the Vulpine Imperium. However, I find that most people in the ROC don't exactly have vermin attitudes in real life, and it becomes hard to RP in vermin clubs, because no one wants to be the murderer. I don't know the situation at the Vulpine Imperium now (I haven't logged on in a loooooooong time), but when I was playing it for a while, it seemed to me that it became basically a goodbeast club full of Blagguts. However, I guess I'm the only one who found it irritating that people weren't sticking to character, and it didn't hinder the club's success.
    Last edited by Chesk Otter; June 20th, 2006 at 01:31 AM.

-Logalog

Terrouge: I know, I know. Archives will be coming back, with a brand new engine (cover art will be included, better sort features, faster navigation, and so on). I've got the base down, I just need to finish it. Forums will be getting a style overhaul to match in with the main site. Redwall based content will be tweaked slightly to tie in with current design engine. QB archives will be tweaked slightly. I'll try and get someone to finish getting QBI in the archives. New areas of the site are coming (keep you wondering on this one. ^_^)

Regarding the zine itself:

1) Articles: Email me at vilu.daskar@gmail.com with suggestions, or articles. Doesn't matter which. The editorial staff (myself and Ublaz right now) are so short of original ideas it isn't funny. Another reason for the small number of recent articles may be that we publish so often (once a month), and Redwall books don't come out that often (there won't even BE one this year). Doing the same things over and over and over again doesn't really work. Trying to keep a Redwall focus at that rate is hard, and when we deviate slighly, people jump on us. Also, not to blame past editors, but none of them ever built up a collection of articles for future use. We had some months with around ten articles, and recently, three. If at a high time for the site we had set a limit to say, five articles a month, it would have changed things a lot. Buuuuuut, I can't do anything about that now, so I don't know why I'm bothering to type it.

2) Covers: Hm? I'm trying my best to find good cover artists, and use different artists. Terrouge has traditionally had set artists, which I think defeats the point. Each issue has it's own style, and each cover is it's own piece of art. By have a team of artists, all with different styles, I am trying to keep the covers alive, and bright. Sure, one artist can do it, but it's a lot of work.

VI: Heh - it's a good vermin club. Try starting a plot where you kill someone, even if they are an already inactive NPC. Hah. That goes down like a lead balloon.

The only way people die is when they kill their own characters.

I seriously wish there was a feature where you could hire an assasin for a very large amount of money. Success of a kill increased with the amount money paid and so on. That would be FUN!

~Daskar
    Philip P. (Vilu Daskar)
    Administrator, Assistant Editor
    Terrouge Magazine

PHP Programmer, Web Designer