Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Mandatory "Summer" Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mandatory "Summer" Thread

Mandatory "Summer" Thread

Due to the fact that my services are no longer needed at the zoo here (see also "fired"), due to the fact that I have nothing better to do for the rest of my summer vacation but sit here in front of my computer screen (minus the occasional camping trip) collecting dust, and due to the fact that no one here (nor anywhere else on the net for that matter, be it on other forums or emails) seems to be saying much of anything (and thereby making the state of boredom in which I presently find myself all that more infuriating), I make this thread not because the subject particularly interests me, but because typing this paragraph and the ones proceeding it has sufficiently consumed 20-30 minutes of my time, time that would have otherwise been spent listening to all five of my versions of Kalinka for the umpteenth time and hitting the refresh button while viewing the forum.

But enough wallowing (or drowning, I should say) in my own misery. Summer began in the Northern Hemisphere on 21st of June if I remember correctly. For the minors, have you gotten out of school for summer vacation yet? Do you get out for summer vacation? What are your plans? Getting skin cancer from the sunburn you'll get whilst visiting some beach? Visiting relatives you never knew you had with the rest of the family? Sitting at your computer making stupid threads at 2:30 AM?

For the adults, same as the kiddies minus the "getting out" stuff. What are your plans?

For those in the Southern Hemisphere...this thread isn't for you. Make another one for yourselves or something. What about, you ask? What, you expect me to think of everything? Go away.

Patroller: General Chelki Sureshot's Avatar
    Poor Bladeswift. Maybe you should take up a new hobby. Like, say, the swim team. I doubt they would let ou in this late, but it's always worth a try. You could learn to play the violin or piano!

Yep, you remember correctly. My mom was all excited about it, no idea why, though. It was no different from the 20th or the 222nd. For myselft the minor, I got out of school on June 9th. It's such ah relief after those dumb finals. You already have taken the test over everything you've learned, why take another one? That would be horrible if we went to one of those year-long schools! I wouldn't remember a thing.

And I pretty much am a vampire. Sun is not my thing. I'll go outside, and I do enjoy being outdoors once I'm there, but I do not get out into the sun simply for sun's sake. And I tan very easily, so keeping in style is not a problem!

We were going to Colorado, because I have relatives there, but gas is getting too pricey. I usually hate CO, because they really don't have a whole lot of trees where we go. And the mountains there are just rocks sticking our of the ground. And it's very windy, and hot. I have no idea why I want to go. And now we're not. And on the way back we were going to visit relatives that I don't know. That is one perk about not going. We are going to go to the beach a lot this year. I wear glasses, and two years ago I dove into the water and fogot I was wearing them. They have never been found. My parents were not pleased. Hope fully I can find a swimsuit that I actually like this year! You guys have it so easy when it comes to clothes. One-piece suits are imipractical, so I get a tankini, which is against Girl's Camp rules. You can even seen my skin unles I bend over! So now I have to wear a t-shirt over the top.

Are you really doing this at 2:30 AM? Shouldn't you be sleeping? This girl I know just had a cold, which is wierd, because no one up here gets sick in the summer, now I have it! I woke up at 3:45 with a pouning head and stuffy nose.

I have friends to keep me alive. We're going to the circus on the 8th for mindless entertainmet. You could become a clown, Bladeswift!
    For a church Youth Conference, 320 of us rode up the mountain on the chair lifts, and had a dance at the top of the mountain. That was fun, because there was still snow at the top.

Those poor Southern Hemisphere people.

I hope you're happy with this, because it took me a long time and if I don't hurry I'm going to miss The Greek Interpreter on the Biography channel. (You could become obbessed with Sherlock Holmes!)

Quote Originally Posted by Chelki Sureshot
    Poor Bladeswift. Maybe you should take up a new hobby. Like, say, the swim team. I doubt they would let ou in this late, but it's always worth a try. You could learn to play the violin or piano!
    I take to the water like a 500 pound anvil. I also hate being wet.

I've always been of the opinion that there are two kinds of people: creators and destroyers. There are those who can create music, and then there are those (people like me) who destroy it.

Yep, you remember correctly. My mom was all excited about it, no idea why, though. It was no different from the 20th or the 222nd. For myselft the minor, I got out of school on June 9th. It's such ah relief after those dumb finals. You already have taken the test over everything you've learned, why take another one? That would be horrible if we went to one of those year-long schools! I wouldn't remember a thing.
    That's earlier than some people I know. But am I to presume that I attend the only school in the country that got out sometime in May? I haven't met anyone else who did.

And I pretty much am a vampire. Sun is not my thing. I'll go outside, and I do enjoy being outdoors once I'm there, but I do not get out into the sun simply for sun's sake. And I tan very easily, so keeping in style is not a problem!
    Now I'm jealous. I wish I could tan. Skin cancer's the new black.

We were going to Colorado, because I have relatives there, but gas is getting too pricey. I usually hate CO, because they really don't have a whole lot of trees where we go. And the mountains there are just rocks sticking our of the ground. And it's very windy, and hot. I have no idea why I want to go. And now we're not. And on the way back we were going to visit relatives that I don't know. That is one perk about not going. We are going to go to the beach a lot this year. I wear glasses, and two years ago I dove into the water and fogot I was wearing them. They have never been found. My parents were not pleased. Hope fully I can find a swimsuit that I actually like this year! You guys have it so easy when it comes to clothes. One-piece suits are imipractical, so I get a tankini, which is against Girl's Camp rules. You can even seen my skin unles I bend over! So now I have to wear a t-shirt over the top.
    What in the world is a tankini? *envisions a T-34/85 Soviet tank wearing a bikini*

Are you really doing this at 2:30 AM?
    According to the time and date at the left hand corner, yes.

Shouldn't you be sleeping?
    I'll sleep when I'm dead. Or around 5 AM. Whichever you think is more likely.

This girl I know just had a cold, which is wierd, because no one up here gets sick in the summer, now I have it! I woke up at 3:45 with a pouning head and stuffy nose.
    My condolences. You should be getting bedrest, not replying to my stupid comments.

I have friends to keep me alive. We're going to the circus on the 8th for mindless entertainmet. You could become a clown, Bladeswift!
    Emphasis on "could," not "will" or "should."

For a church Youth Conference, 320 of us rode up the mountain on the chair lifts, and had a dance at the top of the mountain. That was fun, because there was still snow at the top.
    How tall is this mountain? The last mountain I recall visiting was too high in elevation for it to be easy to breathe, making dancing not only impractica but near suicidal.

I hope you're happy with this, because it took me a long time and if I don't hurry I'm going to miss The Greek Interpreter on the Biography channel. (You could become obbessed with Sherlock Holmes!)
    It was nice to wake up to.

Not much into mystery novels, though.

Sorry about your job at the zoo. The forum is funnier at 2:30 in the morning, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bladeswift
    What in the world is a tankini? *envisions a T-34/85 Soviet tank wearing a bikini*
    A tankini is like a tank top with a bikini bottom. It basically looks like you cut a one-piece suit in half.
    Mackinsie
    *God Bless America*

The Redwall Links - the #1 internet Redwall directory

...'neath the cover of october skies and all the leaves on the trees are falling to the sound of the breezes that blow...

Due to the fact that my services are no longer needed at the zoo here (see also "fired"),
    This begs the question, "why?"

due to the fact that I have nothing better to do for the rest of my summer vacation but sit here in front of my computer screen
    You can't apply for a job elsewhere?

For the adults, same as the kiddies minus the "getting out" stuff. What are your plans?
    I have not known the true meaning of "vacation" for many years now. I always have a work or school obligation.
    -Lord Trawnbull Thickstripe(TBT)

The Redwall Wiki - Redwall information & news

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinsie
    Sorry about your job at the zoo. The forum is funnier at 2:30 in the morning, though.
    Funny like a crutch, maybe.

A tankini is like a tank top with a bikini bottom. It basically looks like you cut a one-piece suit in half.
    My apologies for not being "in the know" about female swimwear but...wouldn't it be a bikini if it's two pieces??

Quote Originally Posted by LordTBT
    This begs the question, "why?"
    Cost-cutting. In the zoo staff hierarchy I was just above "janitor" so they didn't need me. Okay, you caught me, I would be defined as "laid off" in legal babble.

You can't apply for a job elsewhere?
    Shh! You're ruining my image as the victim here!
    (I have applied for a job at Borders.)

I have not known the true meaning of "vacation" for many years now. I always have a work or school obligation.
    Not even a 4th of July picnic?

Patroller: General Chelki Sureshot's Avatar
    I take to the water like a 500 pound anvil. I also hate being wet.
    Doesn't that make showering kinda difficult?
    How tall is this mountain?
    Not very tall. Just 7000 feet.

My apologies for not being "in the know" about female swimwear but...wouldn't it be a bikini if it's two pieces??
    Yes, but that's taking a lot of material out. Like Mackensie said, it's likeyou chopped a one-piece in half, and didn't take any material away.

That's not me, it's just an example of a tankini.

TBT, don't you ever have any fun?

Not even a 4th of July picnic?
    I have worked every 4th of the July for the past 6 years.

TBT, don't you ever have any fun?
    On occasion.

Patroller: General Josiah the Warrior's Avatar
    Soo life is worth living how...?
    -Josiah the Warrior

"Life's a game; fight for survival and see if you're worth it."
    -Battle Royale

Quote Originally Posted by Chelki Sureshot
    Doesn't that make showering kinda difficult?
    Just very unpleasant.

Yes, but that's taking a lot of material out. Like Mackensie said, it's likeyou chopped a one-piece in half, and didn't take any material away.
    Well I'm still calling it a bikini. *Mutters something about people and their crazy fashion jargon*

That's not me, it's just an example of a tankini.
    [sarcasm]What, really?! You don't say. I thought all sixteen-year-old girls looked like that![/sarcasm]

Soo life is worth living how...?
    Other reasons

What, really?! You don't say. I thought all sixteen-year-old girls looked like that
    You'd be surprised.

Track practice starts July 5, and is basically at least once a day until the end of summer. It's going to be good, though, because I need to get my mile time down to 4:45 next year (from 5:13.)

I'll sleep when I'm dead.
    So much to do, there's plenty on the farm...

You have my sympathy, Bladeswift. I've basically been that way for the first few weeks of June. Basically, I was bored to the point of looking up random board games, music, and different types of ice cream on Wikipedia, and staying up into the early hours watching my DVD's of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, and Pride and Prejudice...

Unfortunately, the rest of my summer is packed to the point of chaos, (sort of) - today I had to help my little sister practice driving - as she's in Driver's Ed. Then I played a really dumb PC game for about four hours...

Tomorrow, I've got to go take a written test/thingy, then I have a softball tournament. Wednesday, I'm visiting my artist aunt, (she teaches high-school art classes), to help her with her new kiln and having a pot-glazing party with some of her students. Then, after I stay over into Thursday, my other aunt is visiting my family. On Friday, I'm staying over at a friend's house for a big Miyazaki movie marathon, and possibly Trigun.

Next week, I've also got Girls Camp, then the Fourth of July, and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest - which I'll probably end up watching at the drive-in along with Superman Returns. After that, I have a blank week, in which I'll probably have a surprise family reunion or a sudden camping trip... Then my state's "statehood/independence/history" day, which is a lot like the Fourth of July... Then another week of camping, canoeing, and all that stuff...
    Basically, I'm actually trying to find time to squeeze in a job, and I've already applied to several places.
    Yeahh...
    Last edited by Nora the Rover; June 26th, 2006 at 07:06 PM.
    If you must mount the gallows, give a jest to the crowd, a coin to the hangman, and make the drop with a smile on your lips.
    -Birgitte

Getting laid off is not something I ever want to experience. I thought you're supposed to get unemployment though.

My summer job is close to torture this year. (For me.) I work 8-10 hour shifts with only a 15-minute break. (it's illegal in the state above me 15 minutes away from my house.) This is not enough to go get a meal. There is no place to put stuff so I can't bring food with me unless I can manage to hide a pack of crackers in the back storage room or something. I am only getting $6/hour for this, a 50-cent paycut from my last job, and some of the management has actual anger management problems (along with other problems). They are not good to their employees at all. The ONE perk of this job, free movies, is not all that good because at any given time there is about 1 movie out that I even want to see. I have to take pills to get through my shifts, which has caused problems for me. I am now overly sensitive to ibuprofen- it hurts my stomach bad enough to make me not eat for a day, but the pain in my feet is pretty bad too so what do I do?! I also have to take a natural/herbal/whatever energy pill to not pass out from getting so tired during my shift. I am just not made for foodservice, customer service, or long periods of old-fashioned labor.

I am thinking it's a sign that the freckles
    In our eyes are mirror images and when
    We kiss they're perfectly aligned
    And I have to speculate that God himself
    Did make us into corresponding shapes like
    Puzzle pieces from the clay...

They will see us waving from such great
    Heights, 'come down now,' they'll say
    But everything looks perfect from far away,
    'Come down now...' but we'll stay...
    -Postal Service, Give Up

Huzzah! Another post around 2:30 AM.

You'd be surprised.
    You're right. I forgot we live in the age of silicon.

Quote Originally Posted by Agravaine
    So much to do, there's plenty on the farm...
    Lol. That wasn't a reference to Zevon on the off-chance you were thinking it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Nora the Rover
    You have my sympathy, Bladeswift. I've basically been that way for the first few weeks of June. Basically, I was bored to the point of looking up random board games, music, and different types of ice cream on Wikipedia, and staying up into the early hours watching my DVD's of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, and Pride and Prejudice...
    I've become so bored I actually colored and labeled most of the North American continent for a wiki entry. And then I didn't even use the darn thing because it looks too ugly.

And pardon me for going off on a wild tangent for a moment, but has it occured to anyone else that the smallest US states have the largest names, whereas the largest ones have the reverse? Texas: 268,581 square miles; five letters. Rhode Island: 1,214 square miles; eleven letters. (Even more if you use the official name). I propose that every state should be allowed one letter for every specific number of miles. That, or we rename the entire northeast the State of New England, because trying to label something smaller than the width of my pinky is very, very frustrating.
    Then I played a really dumb PC game for about four hours...
    What game might I ask? I'll be sure to avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cale Yin
    Getting laid off is not something I ever want to experience. I thought you're supposed to get unemployment though.
    I didn't apply for it. I figured I shouldn't leech off other people's money when I'm presently already leeching off of my foster mother's money.

I am now overly sensitive to ibuprofen- it hurts my stomach bad enough to make me not eat for a day, but the pain in my feet is pretty bad too so what do I do?!
    My deepest sympathies. I have a similar dilema with anti-histamines. If I don't take them, I have allergies. If I do, I break out in hives. So I am, in essence, allergic to anti-histamines. I don't appreciate the irony.

I also have to take a natural/herbal/whatever energy pill to not pass out from getting so tired during my shift.
    Whatever happened to good old coffee?
    Last edited by Bladeswift; June 27th, 2006 at 01:39 AM.