Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Latest book you've read? - Page 18
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Latest book you've read?

"Emperor: The Gates of Rome" by Conn Iggulden.

Not a bad book, although not as exciting as some other historical novels I've read. It has a reputation for bad history, however.
    Last edited by Renegade; June 15th, 2008 at 10:16 PM.

"Godel, Escher, Back: Eternal Golden Braid" by Douglas R. Hofstadter. It's a pretty cool essay exploring various concepts in logic and number theory, and applying them to music, art, and other aspects of real life.
    Reality cannot be found except in one single source, because of the interconnection of all things with one another.

-Gottfried Leibniz, Monadologie

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    "Emperor: The Gates of Rome" by Conn Iggulden.

Not a bad book, although not as exciting as some other historical novels I've read. It has a reputation for bad history, however.
    Hey, cool, I read the first two and half of the third a while back.

Click here or on either of the cropped images above to see more like them (link goes to my deviantART gallery

My Fan-Made Redwall Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by Wormerwing View Post
    "Godel, Escher, Back: Eternal Golden Braid" by Douglas R. Hofstadter. It's a pretty cool essay exploring various concepts in logic and number theory, and applying them to music, art, and other aspects of real life.
    Heck yes. Great to see someone else enjoy that.

Working my way through a birthday present right now.

"My name is Hope, Luck just ran out."-Carbon Leaf

The Redwall Wiki

Comedy of Errors, by you know who.

Loves Labour's Lost, same as above.

Avalon, by Stephen Lawhead.
    "Language? If your mother could hear you!" ~Basil Stag Hare, Redwall Season One

~"For it is not for glory, nor honour, nor riches that we fight, but for freedom only, which no good man surrenders, but with his life!" -Robert de Bruce

"Life is a battle you only win when you die." -J. William English

"I don't write for a living. I write for a life." -J. William English

Quote Originally Posted by Ferahgo the Assassin View Post
    1984 is one of my favorite novels for that very reason. Orwell is a master at unhappy, poignant endings, and the way 1984 ends is grim on a level that I've seen few other stories accomplish. The book also helped inspire a story idea in me that deals with the concept of what happens when people lose things they didn't even realize they could lose.
    Indeed. They certainly don't leave you with a warm, fuzzy feeling. It's more like a "What a terrible, horrible, awesome way to end it", type feeling. 1984 nearly made me cry, but as I was staring in shock/horror at the last page, I was interrupted by Grandparents who wanted to take me out for Ice Cream.
    Ice cream makes everything better. Even Big Brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen King
    Both Rowling and Meyer, they’re speaking directly to young people. The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can’t write worth a darn. She’s not very good.

Patroller: General Ferahgo the Assassin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzface View Post
    I was interrupted by Grandparents who wanted to take me out for Ice Cream.

I've been too lazy to read actual books for the past couple weeks, but lately I've been reading a bunch of stories from a book Bladeswift got me for Christmas, Maps in a Mirror by Orson Scott Card. It's basically a huge collection of Card's short fiction. Ironically enough, all of the ones I've chosen (at random) to read so far involve most or even all of the main characters dying. I think it may be a sign...
    "Luck, good or bad, is not the hand of God. Luck is the way the wind swirls and dust settles eons after God has passed by." - Winston Niles Rumsfoord, The Sirens of Titan

Patroller
    I'm reading Fly by Night by Frances Hardinge. It kind of has very little action, but I like the unique twist the author puts on everything.

After three nearly consecutive hours (I got called to supper. I didn't want to eat, I just wanted to finish it. The first time I ever rushed through steak) of Big Brother, Ice cream is needed. And a good Hitchcock movie to watch AFTER the ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrie
    I've been too lazy to read actual books for the past couple weeks, but lately I've been reading a bunch of stories from a book Bladeswift got me for Christmas, Maps in a Mirror by Orson Scott Card. It's basically a huge collection of Card's short fiction. Ironically enough, all of the ones I've chosen (at random) to read so far involve most or even all of the main characters dying. I think it may be a sign...
    Sweet. Now I REALLY need to read that. Even if it ends up depressing me. Better stock up on Ice cream. I've been wanting to read that for a while because it's been sitting on that shelf in the library calling me, but it's a large book, and most of the stuff on my summer reading list is long, and the only thing on said list I've finished is 1984 and The Restuarant at the end of the Galaxy. I'm about a fourth of the way through for Whom the Bell Tolls, and about a third through Mien Kampf. The Vicomte de Something in French that starts with a "b" just came in, but I haven't started it. And I found out that there's two other books between Vicomte and Iron Mask, but luckily one of them is in the same book as Vicomte. But that just legnthens my list, and I really should read those books instead of writing this post and watching Monty Python on Youtube. Although I think I'll need the Python after Mien Kampf and For Whom the Bell Tolls. It's some weighty stuff...

Both Rowling and Meyer, they’re speaking directly to young people. The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can’t write worth a darn. She’s not very good.

Dibbun
    The latest I had read is "The Mistmantle Chronicles : The Heir of Mistmantle" this series is kind of like Redwall

I finnished "The Vicomte de Bragelonne". Now onto "Ten Years after"

I'm currently reading Don Quixote and Maps in a Mirror: the Short fiction of Orson Scott Card. It had been sitting on the library shelf far to long, and I absolutely had to read it.

Oh, and I'm reading "The Prophecy of the Stones". So far, it's pretty lousy, but what did I expect from a kid author?

A world were Wolves and horses live in peace
    I'm reading this series called Dragons in our Midst! The author is Bryan Davis. They are really good books and really adventurous!!
    "plucky!" "Hello Dashie, I've missed you." "Yeah I've missed you too."

Animals of farthing wood the tv series.

Patroller
    Currently reading as many Discworld books as I can get my hands on. (unfortunately, not many, because the library is seriously devoid of them.)

Title: Rome 1960
    Author: David Maraniss
    What's it about? The 1960 Olympics-what can I say, I'm in a good Olympics mood right now. Anyone care to guess where they were held?
    My opinion: Pretty good. Some of it was shocking and upsetting (well, one section, anyway), but that eventually passes. A lot of Maraniss' best prose is towards the end, when he describes the atmosphere leading up to the field hockey final as well as an entire chapter on the marathon.

The Redwall Wiki

Title: Genesis Alpha
    Author: Rune Michaels
    What's it about? The little brother of an accused murderer. Josh and Max go way back-they play Genesis Alpha, their favorite computer game, together-and Josh's stem cells saved Max's life. But Max has just been arrested for murder, which sort of puts a damper on things.
    My opinion: Excellent. Grapples with free will and determinism very well, alludes to sibling rivalry and computer games like some other well-written books, and more SFy than expected. Highly recommended.

The Redwall Wiki