Thread: Rate the Books (1-10)

Dibbun

Smile Rate the Books (1-10)

This has probaly been done before, but seeing as I'm new here, I would be interested in knowing your opinions on each of them. Here's mine (from publication order).

Redwall - 9
    The only thing that lets this book down is it dosn't fall into place with the other books.

Mossflower - 10
    Loved it.

Mattimeo - 9

Mariel of Redwall - 8
    The whole 'gullwhacker' thing didn't sit too well with me, great book nonetheless.

Salamandastron - 7
    Could've been better.

Martin the Warrior - 6.5
    A bit drawn out towards the end.

The Bellmaker - 4
    No comment.

Outcast of Redwall - 10
    I loved this one. This is a classic.

The Pearls of Lutra - 6.5
    A bit drawn out like MTW.

The Long Patrol - 8
    Hares are awesome and so is this book.

Marlfox - 2
    I hated this one!

The Legend of Luke - 7
    Cool book.

Lord Brocktree - 7.5
    I liked this one a lot. But there was much to be desired in some parts...

The Taggerung - 8.5
    Could've been a 9 if the final fight wasn't so bad.

Triss - Not read
    Loamhedge - Not read

Rakkety Tam - 8

High Rhulain Not read.

So overall from me, BJ gets a 104/150. 69%. Could've so easily been 70+...

This I never get tired of, although I've written my list over and over to a dozen threads already. And you know what that means: I'm going to spend three hours writing this post. Which I did.

Redwall - 8/9
    Thanks to being so different from every book after it, it remains remarkably fresh and vivid, presenting the ideal look at Abbey life and nearly-perfect introductions to mice (Matthias), rats (Cluny, who's very well-balanced for a villain), hares (long live Basil). It's also one of the few Redwall books I became completely immersed in where I could deeply feel the emotions of a character. Remains as strong as ever.
    And Silent Sam was awesome.

Mossflower - 5
    Just because reading "Martin the Warrior" beforehand made me have much bigger expectations. I still believe this was a good book, but it didn't tug at my emotions as much, and it seemed a lot more war-oriented.

Mattimeo - 8
    This is the book I've anticipated the most, and at first I gave this a 9. Not only did it completely have the spirit of Redwall, but I went wild for the much darker tone in this book. Did wonders now that the good side wasn't invulnerable. The biggest letdown, however, is that the character of Mattimeo seemed pretty minor. "Rakkety Tam" later made me drop this book's rating.

Mariel of Redwall - 7/8
    The first third of this book is a 10, thanks to Mariel starting out as the most ferocious mouse ever (Martin's tame in comparison), the timeless Tarquin, and a general light-hearted tone. Oh yeah, and I just want to announce that I liked Tarquin's songs. They were cheesy, yes, but oddly endearing. The other two thirds of the book just weren't interesting once Mariel dropped her fierceness. Note: I read "The Bellmaker" before "Mariel of Redwall", so I was very happy to see the characters properly introduced in this book.

Salamandastron - 6
    There were some good parts to this, like Dingeye and Thura and the surprising accident early on (ranks with the best of them on the moments I cried the most at). And I am SO glad that the relationship between Ferahgo and Klitch was a strained father/son relationship done right. Klitch's final scene was very memorable, reinforcing my belief that I treasure the rare moments when I feel sorry for vermin. But as badgers and Salamandastron were a heavy focus, the book overall couldn't hold my interest.

Martin the Warrior - 9
    Unbelievable. While to be honest I recognized this book as being about as flawed as the first one (the only one I could compare it to as this was the second book I read), they excelled in different categories. The highlights of "Martin" were a greater variety of locations, lovable characters, humor, interesting conversations, The Warden, the really fun bickering between Badrang and Clogg, and the best ending to any book I've ever read. To this day I salute Martin for perseverance through his rough life. And his relationship with Rose, surprisingly, felt so strong that regardless what happened I believed they would be better as friends instead of the inevitable marry-the-girl-at-the-end. In short, I love this book.

The Bellmaker - 4/5
    The only reason this got as low of a score as it did is that I read the books out of order and didn't realize beforehand that "The Bellmaker" absolutely does not re-introduce its old characters. As a result, I didn't care about Mariel or Dandin or Joseph. Finnbarr and Hon Rosie were cool though.
    What I will always remember this book for is Blaggut. This was my first exposure to a vermin turning good, and I was rooting for him the entire way. Slipp was a delight too, often getting ticked off by his foolish pal, but also when he made earnest attempts to fit in. In the final moments when the true motivations are revealed and the Abbey's about to pass judgment on Blaggut, I completely lost it. Putting aside common sense on what the likely result was going to be (I call that "living in the moment", which I've had happen in "Redwall" and "Martin the Warrior"), I was crying my eyes out.

The Outcast of Redwall - 3
    Sunflash was amazing as one of the few male badgers I cared about (because he didn't have a one-track mind of war). Nightshade was a great companion to Swartt. And Folrig and Ruddle were awesome. But any hope I had of liking this book was crushed because of Veil. While my waiting for his "grayness" to appear was part of the reason I was harsh on him, I don't think that would change my opinion much that most of the time he was a selfish brat. The focus on war later on and Veil's final scene kept the score low.

Pearls of Lutra - 6
    I don't remember a darn thing from this book, which is why I had to give this a low score. Just wasn't memorable. But Romsca's the best example of a gray vermin I've seen.

The Long Patrol - 3/4
    The beginning of the book was excellent with Tammo and Russa. Then there soon came a moment that ranks as the saddest moment I've ever had (cried Niagara Falls). And the whole book went downhill after that, focusing on war.

Marlfox - 6
    Most of it was forgettable, I just remember liking Janglur and Mokkan. But Lantur near the end was priceless, in an act so evil and morbid that I couldn't help but love her as a villain.

The Legend of Luke - 9
    This is one of my most admired books of the series for doing something very different that I ended up going wild for. There's no denying that for the first and third parts of the book it's very light-hearted, barely having any villains, somehow relying solely on the charisma of the characters and their interactions. It worked. Martin and Gonff and the rest were wonderful, the action was subdued but enough to keep my interest, and there was the enticing lure of investigating the mystery of that red ship being stranded in the air between two large rock pillars. This "summer reading" feel seemed like a nice relaxation after the previous books. Luke's adventure was a bit flawed, but thanks to being so short it didn't overstay its welcome, and it had its moments. The exchange between Vurg and Beauclaire when Vurg remarks "You didn't say wot wot" is priceless. It's hard to describe, but this "happy" book was just what I needed.

Lord Brocktree - 8
    Wow! Despite being flawed in storyline, there's little touches everywhere that compensate more than enough. Which I'm not going to go into great detail about because most of all, this book has the best hares. Dotti's the funniest hare of all, frequently playing up her supposed royal status and the occasional non-sensical comment ("I haven't eaten for absolute ages - almost an hour, I think"), and her one outburst was so intense that I was convinced she could move mountains if she wanted to. Best display of anger I've ever seen. Meanwhile, the bickering duo of Fleetscut and Jukka is priceless, with Fleetscut constantly coming up with crazy ideas and Jukka's cold unforgiving stares thwarting him at every turn. Also memorable is a scene late in the book where Ungatt Trunn sits with his horde and eats breakfast with them. For once, a leader steps down and acts like one of his crew, in a rare trivial moment during which they were in no hurry to prepare to fight against anyone. Little personality bits like that mean a LOT, there really needs to be more moments like it.

Taggerung - 10
    Perfect. All the characters have variety with their interesting quirks, the sense of adventure is unparallelled here, it kept throwing twists into the mix which somehow made the book better and better as it went along... and then it kicked up five more notches with the surprise appearance of Ruggan Bor, best book villain ever. While I often can't find much to say about this book, I remember that I was so engrossed that I read the whole thing in two days straight, and I can't think of any flaws.

Triss - 8
    I liked Triss. Though flawed, it made a valiant effort. Dramatic moments have some kind of punch to them where they seem a lot stronger than in other books (one crewmember falling ill was particularly well done, where every moment I kept getting more and more concerned). The "Brockhall beast" offered a sense of horror and mystery where for once I cared about what happened back at the Abbey. It was a scary monster, and the fear felt by the goodbeasts (and the vermin) seemed very real. ...That was all until the beast's identity was revealed. It wasn't scary anymore, and the book steadily went downhill after that. But at least the trio of Sagax, Kroova, and Scarum was fun. A lot of people hate Scarum, but I loved him as the "liability" of the crew, and I was surprised when they considered at one point whether to keep him. At that point it's such a tough question to answer on what's best to do with him, but I was happy with what they decided on. Kurda's a bit of a mixed bag, but her accent's fun. One poem by a rat is actually very sweet. And the multiple epilogues at the end was absolute genius. For a book that's hated by a lot of people, that just makes me treasure it more because it's very unique, most of its ideas working well, very dramatic moments, and great characters.

Loamhedge - 2
    Boring. Horty was the only good thing about it, and man was he great, but not enough to save this book.

Rakkety Tam - 9/10
    A lot of variety, Scottish squirrels, one heck of an intimidating villain, the excellent bickering between Doogy and Yoofus, chase scenes that I actually found exciting for once, and a very dark tone to the book where it felt like danger was around every corner. Oddly enough, for this beating the socks off Mattimeo and in some cases Taggerung, the dark tone and Scottish main characters kept it from number #1. While Doogy's a great hothead, Tam's pretty generic. Comparing that to Deyna the pacifist and Nimbalo the liar, the main duo in Rakkety Tam just wasn't as interesting. But Taggerung did not have a squirrel and hare get into a boxing match.

High Rhulain - 4
    I liked Tiria and Cuthbert, but the storyline was weak.

Cool idea for a total score. Mine's 117.5/180, or 65.3%.
    Last edited by Folgrimeo; October 5th, 2006 at 02:53 AM.
    Faux Pas - It's wild and domesticated reading!

Dibbun
    I agree with Taggerung. Despite the 8.5 I actually rate that as my favourite Redwall novel. But the final fight really angered me . It was a typical long patrol show up at the right moment despite the amount of distance they would've covered from Salamandastron to Redwall. After that I found myself rushing through the rest of the novel not really caring what happened. I guess it was one of his more lengthier novels so he had to rush it a bit, but still it was very corny.

Not a lot of people are a fan of Outcast like I am. Outcast was actually the third I read behind Mossflower and Martin the Warrior, so I guess it was my introduction to the abbey. I don't think Veil wrecked it, looking back on it I just read the book without paying much attention to what 'outcast of Redwall' was supposed to mean. I loved it because of the cold setting that was portrayed throughout, it was just a really memorable book.

Patroller
    The first book was the best one.

Don't have time for all but i'll do one right now.

Legend of Luke: .5

Horrible. The second book was good but the first and third were terrible. Just filling space.....

Redwall: 9

Redwall is one of htose books that either you really like, or you don't. Many people don't, because they hate the inconsistincies with the rest of the series. I think those are little quirks that make the story more enjoyable. This book also has some of the most memorable scenes in the series: the hay cart, Matthias and Basil meeting, Asmodeus's lair, Jess climbing the roof... it all stood out in my mind. And then there are the characters: Matthias, who started the whole underdog turned warrior thing; Cluny, who's description embodies fear; Basil, the first and best hare; Cornflower, who, unlike most otheres, is a female character that actually does more than sing the odd song; Cluny's captains, who remain my favorite staff through the whole series; the list goes on.

Mossflower: 9

I also enjoyed Mossflower. In a way, it's sort of a parrelell of Redwall: in Redwall, the Cluny tries to take the Abbey; in Mossflower, the woodlanders try and overthrow Tsarmina. The duo of Martin and Gonff was fun to read about, one being the serious warrior, the other a fun loving theif. I'm also a big fan of tactics, and I liked seeing how the two sides kept fighting each other: I think the plans used in this book are some of the best laid in the series. Tsarmina was gloriously evil, Martin was gloriously good, and this was a gloriously good book.

Mattimeo: 10

THis one's my personal favorite. Plotwise, it's certainly different from the rest. Slagar's evil plan is a kidnapping, that steadily reveals to be so much more, and with the warriors gone chasing the fox, the Abbey is relatively unprotected. When Ironbeak arrives and tries to take over, they don't quite know what to do. This is one of the best things in the book: we get to see the woodlanders work their way out of a jam without MArtin's sword or without any real warrior help. Mattimeo himself annoyed me when I first read the boook, but then I realized the he was supposed to be annoying: as the book goes on he realizes what a brat he was and grows up. The wonderful duo of Basil and MAtthias reunite for more awesomeness. And I like how Slagar employs a small group of vermin rather than a large horde.

Mariel: 5

Mariel gets a five simply because I only read it once and can hardly remember anything from it. Thus it warrants a five.

Salamandastron: 8

Let's start with the good. Urthstripe was by far my favorite badger in the series, Ferahgo is tied for my second favorite villian, Mara's character is very well written, I particularaly like the shrews in this one, and the idea of Redwall being attacked by an enemy they can't defeat (the fever) certainly was new. The thing that stops this book from being really great is Samkin and Arula. They bored me non stop.

Martin the Warrior: 9

Ah, Martin the Warrior. What can I say that hasn't already been said? Badrang was and is the best villian in the series. I like how Brome goes from Felldoh wannabe to realizing war isn't fun and games. Felldoh's obsession of destroying Marshank is pretty well written. Martin's back, who could ask for more? Clogg is a laugh a minute. And the people who complain that the endings of BJ's books are too happy all the time finally get their wish. What brings this one down from a ten. In a word, Rose. I hate Rose. I am aware that I am the only one in the world who does, but I did not like Rose. She was the kind of character who was written too perfectly, who never made a mistake, etc. And the whole, "the bees don't sting me because they like my voice," thing really made me hate her.

Curses, I have to go. This list shall be continued later!
    Enter the Castle of Professor Falliss. Who knows: you might make it out alive.

http://z13.invisionfree.com/Midnight...wer/index.php?