Thread: Brian Jacques Honored

Brian Jacques Honored

I actually saw this; didn't really consider it that news breaking as Jacques was actually honored as one of the 100 Greatest Merseysider's in 2003 (he was #44). I'll be interested in seeing the portrait though.
    -Lord Trawnbull Thickstripe(TBT)

The Redwall Wiki - Redwall information & news

Thank HEAVENS you made this thread, because that was my #1 concern! Had TBT seen the article and did HE believe it was newsworthy? At long last, I can sleep easy!

To each his own. I see going from top 50 to top 10, and getting a portrait in a museum exhibit, as a move up. You see it as a lateral move.

But, again, props for the thread, man. I was so worried.
    -reds

To each his own. I see going from top 50 to top 10, and getting a portrait in a museum exhibit, as a move up. You see it as a lateral move
    Try re-reading the article Reds Jacques IS NOT in the top ten. He was shortlisted.

He is one of ten from whom #1 will be selected. That makes "top ten" in my book, whether they ultimately shuffle all the categories together for a final ranking or not.

(which was *REALLY* the point of my post. )

But, again, thanks for the thread. I wasn't sure if I should care about the story or not until you told me not to. Tops, man!
    -reds

He is one of ten from whom #1 will be selected. That makes "top ten" in my book, whether they ultimately shuffle all the categories together for a final ranking or not
    The voting for top "Artist, writer [or] designer" ended in January Reds. Jacques did not win. He is not in the final top ten list. He is getting a portrait because he is special.

You were obviously confused in your first post Reds, because you seemed to have thought he went from the top 50 to the top 10. In 2003, and now in 2007, Jacques was in a list of 10 writers to vote for best one in Liverpool. Nothing has changed in that regard.

I really don't think it was ever a question that Jacques would be in the top ten Liverpudlian writers. The fact that this isn't known to anyone with basic knowledge of English writers is surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by LordTBT View Post
    The voting for top "Artist, writer [or] designer" ended in January Reds. Jacques did not win. He is not in the final top ten list. He is getting a portrait because he is special.
    If that's your claim, prove it.

Liverpool ECHO, January 8th, 2007 - INTERNATIONAL best-selling children’s writer and broadcaster Brian Jacques has topped the latest poll in the ECHO’s search for the greatest Merseysiders of all time.

Source.

Liverpool ECHO, February 20th, 2007 - The other winners so far have been Ken Dodd; professor Janet Hemingway of the School of Tropical Medicine; Meccano inventor Frank Hornby; the author and broadcaster Brian Jacques; The Beatles; Dixie Dean; the politician William Gladstone, Liverpool city guide Steve Binns, and the human rights campaigner James Mawdesley.

So don't miss this final opportunity to make your voice heard in the first round voting.

A final vote among the 10 winners will be held in the spring.

Source. I've shown you mine, you show me yours.

You were obviously confused in your first post Reds, because you seemed to have thought he went from the top 50 to the top 10. In 2003, and now in 2007, Jacques was in a list of 10 writers to vote for best one in Liverpool. Nothing has changed in that regard.
    Only one of us is confused, and it sure ain't me.

I really don't think it was ever a question that Jacques would be in the top ten Liverpudlian writers. The fact that this isn't known to anyone with basic knowledge of English writers is surprising.
    -reds

Checked your sources, then re-checked mine.

I will admit it appears that I am mistaken then about Jacques not being in the top ten. Evidently it would seem that he made the final cut. Good for him!

However, I never told you whether or not you should care about this article. Don't put words in my mouth (or keyboard). In my very first post, I said I did not consider it newsworthy; clearly I misinterpreted some of the text in the article, as I understood the word "shortlisted" to mean that Jacques did not win. I would definitely consider this important now. I never said Reds and everyone else "should [or should not] care" about this story.

And I certainly do not see a problem with me commenting on a news story about Jacques. If there's a problem with me having an opinion on something like this please enlighten me now.

My post is right there at the top of the screen for all to see.

Patroller: General Ferahgo the Assassin's Avatar
    Reds is just incapable of having an opinion without being sarcastic and catty.
    "Luck, good or bad, is not the hand of God. Luck is the way the wind swirls and dust settles eons after God has passed by." - Winston Niles Rumsfoord, The Sirens of Titan

Reds is just incapable of having an opinion without being sarcastic and catty.
    I'd use "snarky" instead of "catty". And you forgot the third and most important ingredient: being right. (And modest, of course. )

But in all seriousness, the sarcasm is there to lighten the opinion somewhat. Probably not to the person it's directed at, but somebody, somewhere, will get a laugh.

But, if you'd like it without the snark and sarcasm, here it is (and this'll answer Teebs, too).

This thread wasn't commenting on the story. This thread was commenting on the fact that the story was reported. Really, it was downplaying the significance of it and served as a way to inform everyone: Hey! The Wiki already saw this and determined it wasn't worth repeating! Old news, man! I've got a problem with starting a thread in order to downplay an article. Hence the snark.

This was ignored by Teebs, who instead leapt at the chance to tell me I was wrong and confused. . . UNTIL. . . we'd wasted five posts determining: I wasn't on both counts. Then, suddenly the "I have a right to comment!" subject is seized.

(I'll grant you, "looking forward to the portrait" *was* a comment. But the stuff around it overpowered it and changed the tone of the entire thing. Hence. . . you guessed it. . . snark. )
    -reds

I think it's safe to say "snarky", "sarcastic", or "catty" aren't the words any of us adults would use to describe the egomaniacal tone of your comments outside the context of this limited speech forum Reds.

As you said,

Quote Originally Posted by Reds
    I'll grant you, "looking forward to the portrait" *was* a comment.
    That's all that needs to be said. You'll notice I admitted I was mistaken in regards to Brian's position in the article. Your previous post was your turn to admit I was not instructing anyone (including you) on what to think of the article, only relaying my personal opinion.

But you just couldn't do that, could ya Reds? I'd go back and review every one of your recent posts (Which reminds me Reds, where have you been these past few months? Oh wait, I know, "busy") that take place after mine. They are not "snarky", they are not "sarcastic", nor are they "catty". They have only one intent, and that is to mock or ridicule me in some way. Whatever sick sense of pleasure you get out of it, I sure hope it's worth it chief.

No apology was given because none was warranted. What I posted was a characterization of the original post, not a literal description of it, following the logic: "didn't really consider it that news breaking" as essentially saying "didn't consider it that important" leading to "not worth fussing/caring much about". As posting something is obviously telling us that something, the characterization of you telling us the above stands. . . it was never meant to be a literal, direct quotation (but, of course, you knew that). And as logical leaps go, it's on far sturdier ground than your leap that Mackinsie doesn't "like to laugh" because she said she couldn't stand Adam Sandler or Will Ferrell. (Oh, I'm sorry. . . are *you* the only one allowed to make unstated inferences from peoples' posts? I should get that down in the rule book somewhere.) So I offer you exactly what you offered her: "Ok well. . ." Take it with my blessing.

Of course, given that the characterization was ignored the first time and only gone back to after the other discussion had run its course speaks volumes and I'm sure people here are savvy enough to figure the reasons out.

But, again, the core problem I have with this thread goes ignored and we find ourselves wasting time with minutiae. So here it is for the last time and then I'm closing this down because there's obviously no chance of anything worthwhile happening, just more of the same. (And, hey, I'll even cop to the fact that some of that is thanks to my snarkiness.)

You have minimized the Newsline and its coverage a lot recently, sometimes subtly, sometimes overt. While it stays on your site, I'll ignore it. When you start creating threads to do it *here*, thinking a tacked on comment at the end justifies it, then I've got a problem and I will call you on it. Every. Single. Time.

And how did that language go? "I will do it my own way, not a way that [LordTBT] sees fit."

Don't do it, we've got no problem.

Cheers.

(People looking to actually discuss the honoree news, I direct you to this thread. Show's over. )
    -reds