Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: if brian jacques died...

Cool if brian jacques died...

would you accept someone else continuing the redwall and castaway books?

Yes, actually. It'd be hard to re-create Brian's ability to give scenes that vivid magical appeal, but the series is long overdue for an original storyline and a darker tone.
    Faux Pas - It's wild and domesticated reading!

Maybe. It depends on the quality of the book. I think we touched on this in a Tolkien topic a few months back - we mostly agreed that it would have to be someone familiar with Brian's work and who already had something to work with and build on.

No. I can only imagine how some young hot shot would go nuts if he had the chance to change Brian's world and make it "better." Brian goes, Redwall goes. End of story. Literally.
    Enter the Castle of Professor Falliss. Who knows: you might make it out alive.

http://z13.invisionfree.com/Midnight...wer/index.php?

Quote Originally Posted by Badrang3 View Post
    No. I can only imagine how some young hot shot would go nuts if he had the chance to change Brian's world and make it "better." Brian goes, Redwall goes. End of story. Literally.
    Thats why it should be someone, that has been close to Brain and knew his work so he wouldn't make to drastic changes. But a few changes(like a new plot) would be great.
    Nothing much to say here.

Patroller
    Unless this certain person can totally recreate brian's tone, and create a different plot, then I'd read it.

Like Folgrimeo said, a darker story-line would be great, but there really is no use to hope for that because it won't happen.

If Brain was like 20-50 this topic would never spark to life, would it?

If ANYone did it I'd avoid it like the plague. The answer is NO! It's impossible to do it right. Other books it might be possible, but creating another Redwall novel? I agree with Badrang3, Redwall goes if Jacques goes.
    "Language? If your mother could hear you!" ~Basil Stag Hare, Redwall Season One

~"For it is not for glory, nor honour, nor riches that we fight, but for freedom only, which no good man surrenders, but with his life!" -Robert de Bruce

"Life is a battle you only win when you die." -J. William English

"I don't write for a living. I write for a life." -J. William English

Patroller
    Redwall will end unless one of you decide to ghostwrite. I doubt the series will survive.

Its sort of like the Price is Right and Bob Barker...they're synonymous with each other, and one without the other just won't be the same. Could someone be a good imitator of Jacques style? I don't doubt it, but it'll lose the magic its had under Jacques' watch.
    I may be only one person in the world, but I also may be the world to one person.

I might if the new author put more death, sorrow, and darkishness, if you know what I mean...

Redwall DEFINATLY needs to be darker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferahgo the Assassin View Post
    Ice cream makes everything better. Even Big Brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen King
    Both Rowling and Meyer, they’re speaking directly to young people. The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can’t write worth a darn. She’s not very good.

...no. No it doesn't. Because then it wouldn't really be Redwall as Jaques saw it, once again proving my point that if anyone else took up the Mossflower mantle, the would basically spite the man who created it and do their own thing in a prerendered plot without having to actually use any creativity what soever to create their own world. (See Batman Returns) If someone wants a "darker" story, the should write their own, and leave Brian's stuff alone.
    Enter the Castle of Professor Falliss. Who knows: you might make it out alive.

http://z13.invisionfree.com/Midnight...wer/index.php?

Well, it is getting a little predictable...

I guess if I want darker, I'll stick with Watership and Warriors....

Both Rowling and Meyer, they’re speaking directly to young people. The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can’t write worth a darn. She’s not very good.

The stories are getting a bit tired, yeah. But I don't want a 'darker' story - as soon as we lose that optimistic, innocent feel that the Redwall series has, we lose a lot of what makes Redwall so good and original. And anyway, a 'dark' book would be even more predictable. Pretty much every fantasy book claims to be 'dark', when what they really mean is that it's just the same old 'monster' of a villain who's so evil Hell itself spat him out routine. We've read all that a thousand times before in a thousand different yet the same fantasy novels. What keeps Redwall good is that it defies this stereotpye.

The stories are getting a bit tired, yeah. But I don't want a 'darker' story - as soon as we lose that optimistic, innocent feel that the Redwall series has, we lose a lot of what makes Redwall so good and original. And anyway, a 'dark' book would be even more predictable. Pretty much every fantasy book claims to be 'dark', when what they really mean is that it's just the same old 'monster' of a villain who's so evil Hell itself spat him out routine. We've read all that a thousand times before in a thousand different yet the same fantasy novels. What keeps Redwall good is that it defies this stereotpye.
    Still, all the characters are the same in each book. And you know that the Good guys are going to win, and the characters are shallow....but I'm a harsh critic. Still, the good guys are really good and the bad guys are really bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzface View Post
    Still, all the characters are the same in each book. And you know that the Good guys are going to win, and the characters are shallow....but I'm a harsh critic. Still, the good guys are really good and the bad guys are really bad...
    I thought upon the first read that Vitch from Outcast could be really interesting as a vermin in Redwall, hopefully reformed. The answer really is left up to the reader. Brian doesn't say yes or no, but simply gives events to base your own conclusion off of. I'd say Vitch isn't as shallow as some other characters, but man, I was really hoping he turned from the Dark Side. Same goes for Tagg...could BJ have done more with an actual plot where its not your species or destiny, but rather how you're actually raised can determine what a character is like?

How do you think of Vitch and Tagg, Fuzface?
    I may be only one person in the world, but I also may be the world to one person.