Thread: Books that have made me cry

Books that have made me cry

I've decided to make a list of books that have made me cry.

1. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

2. Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix

3. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

4. Ender's Game

5. The Return of the King

I can't think of any more presently....I'll add more when I remember more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferahgo the Assassin View Post
    Ice cream makes everything better. Even Big Brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen King
    Both Rowling and Meyer, they’re speaking directly to young people. The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can’t write worth a darn. She’s not very good.

I'm not sure if you're asking people for books that made them sad...but I'll say mine anyway.

The Black Cauldron, by Lloyd Alexander. At least, it was the closest a book has come to making me cry.

Don't see the movie though.

1. Martin the Warrior. (Yall know why!)
    2. Return of the King. (Great book)
    3,4, and 5. Harry Potter Order of the Pheonix, Half-Blood Prince, and Deathly Hallows. (More Great books)
    I think during this time we are all warriors. Whether we like it or not. -Rose, Redwall season 3-

Patroller: General Ferahgo the Assassin's Avatar
    I can't remember a book having ever actually made me cry, but I can think of several that have made me feel a substantial depth of emotion.

Some that come to mind:

The Worthing Saga. A lot of Orson Scott Card's other books come close, but I can't think of any others that have made me literally feel what the main character is feeling on such a powerful level. I could identify with so much of what he was going through, especially in his relationship to his father. Card is brilliant at this sort of characterization.

A lot of the later books in the Ender's Game series are kind of similar to this, but to me at least, nothing quite surpassed The Worthing Saga.

The final book in the His Dark Materials trilogy, The Amber Spyglass, also made me almost this sad. The interaction between two of the characters had this sort of gentle, awkward innocence to it, and what ends up happening to them will tug at the heartstrings of anyone who remembers their first love. Another book in which the characters are developed astoundingly well.

Runners up:

The Giver - One of my favorite books a kid. Everyone should read it.
    The Hork-Bajir Chronicles - Most fans of the Animorphs series already know how this book turns out when they start it, which makes the whole thing have this inherent air of depression to it. It also is one of the best accounts of the theme of destroyed innocence that I have come across in a children's book.
    Night by Elie Wiesel. Most powerful and oddly succinct story focusing on the Holocaust I've read.

I'm oddly disappointed in the fact that people seem to think the Harry Potter books are so sad. A lot of the deaths seemed unfortunate at most - Dumbledore's was the only one that I felt even slightly sad about at all, and even then it wasn't characterized nearly as well as it could've been. I felt like a few events in the series had the potential to be extremely depressing - like what happened with Sirius, and also Snape's past - but they just weren't.

Maybe I'm just picky; Harry Potter is definitely entertaining, but nothing spectacular.
    "Luck, good or bad, is not the hand of God. Luck is the way the wind swirls and dust settles eons after God has passed by." - Winston Niles Rumsfoord, The Sirens of Titan

Martin the warrior actually got me slightly teary-eyed first time I read it....I was fourteen mind you, but still....

Umm....other then that, I can say a book has never actually brought me to tears. Crying just isn't a natural emotion for me. (I'm more likely to destroy a punching bag)
    LPF Addicted since: 05/05/05

"We will meet again my friend, but not yet, not yet..."

Only book I can think of is A Storm of Swords. I've troubled over how to describe this without spoiling anything to anyone who's interested in reading it. So all I can say is that the sense of betrayal and despair brought about by the death of one specific character actually had me depressed for the rest of the day. It also left me blinded with rage at the murderers, so much so that I took out my anger on unfortunate kids on Call of Duty. /shameless plug

That's not to say that I didn't go "Aw man, that's lame" in books such as Harry Potter. It's just that five minutes later whatever effect they had on me was gone. SoS is the only one to leave a lasting touch.

I'm just not really emotional about books. I think it's the lack of sound. I can be on the verge of tears (be they tears of joy or sorrow) in some movies if the background music is just right. Every time I listen to King Theoden's speech and watch the ensuing charge in Return of the King, I'm overwhelmed by the emotion of it all.

The only book I can remember that made me cry was the first time I read Return of the King, at the end when
    Spoiler!
    Of course, I was really young, and it hasn't made me cry since (now that I know that
    Spoiler!

There have been a couple movies that have made me cry, as well as a few moments in Buffy. I agree with Blade here, it's all about the music. Of course, I cry so little that I count a slight watering of the eyes (due to emotion) as crying...can't think of anything since one movie I saw when I was very young that has actually made me cry cry.

Also agree with Blade about Theoden's speech. His is so much better than Aragorn's. XD
    "Night falls like a bad power point presentation."

Only book I can think of is A Storm of Swords. I've troubled over how to describe this without spoiling anything to anyone who's interested in reading it. So all I can say is that the sense of betrayal and despair brought about by the death of one specific character actually had me depressed for the rest of the day.
    I literally threw the book across the room when I read that chapter. Real gut-wrenching stuff, although the deaths of the minor characters in that scene probably affected me more. The part that hit me the hardest, for whatever reason, was when
    Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by Agravaine View Post
    I literally threw the book across the room when I read that chapter. Real gut-wrenching stuff, although the deaths of the minor characters in that scene probably affected me more. The part that hit me the hardest, for whatever reason, was when
    Spoiler!
    Spoiler!

In this topic I made a post about all the moments in Redwall that made me cry, because it has been the only book series to make me cry.
    Although a moment in The Long Patrol was where I cried the most, I still think the ending to "Martin the Warrior" and a moment with Blaggut in "The Bellmaker" are the saddest moments in the series.

I did have a long post about movies that had made me cry, but that's not the focus of this thread. I'll just say that Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron made me cry more than most films (Lord of the Rings trilogy is the exception), and that Scrubs is the only TV show I know of to make me cry.
    Last edited by Folgrimeo; September 19th, 2007 at 11:19 PM.
    Faux Pas - It's wild and domesticated reading!

Well, I haven't cried over a book in a long time, and It's not like I have an emotional breakdown if I do. Crying is not something I do often, and often, I distract myself and go do something else, as was the case with Ender's Game. I had walked to the library in the rain to finish it, so I disracted myself by finding "Speaker for the Dead". So I haven't really cried over a book since Harry potter 6. ANd movies dont' make me cry.
    Last edited by Fuzface; September 20th, 2007 at 10:49 AM.

Both Rowling and Meyer, they’re speaking directly to young people. The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can’t write worth a darn. She’s not very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bladeswift View Post
    Spoiler!
    Spoiler!

Patroller
    Gentle ben made me cry.

Oh, and Frankenstien nearly had me, too. I feel bad for the creature. He needs a hug.