Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Redwall: The Movie - Dutch version!!!!

Thread: Redwall: The Movie - Dutch version!!!!

Redwall: The Movie - Dutch version!!!!

Hi there. Haven't been here in a while.

As you probably have forgotten by now, I'm Dutch. In the Netherlands, the Redwall books have never been very popular - only the first four have ever been translated (after finishing them, I had to wait for a while until my English had improved enough to read the rest in English. I have now read all of them) and they've now been out of print for ages. The tv series was never dubbed for a Dutch audience - or so I thought until today.

By chance, I came across a dvd of "Redwall: Mattimeo" today. I immediatly (did I spell that right?) bought it - it cost only 1 euro!

So the good news is: there is now a dub for Dutch children (it was released in 2004, by the way). The bad news is: the Dutch people who produced the dvd messed up in almost every way imaginable.

I should begin with a picture of the package (I might make a scan of my own later):

Some things to note:

1. Redwall was renamed "Roodburcht" in the Dutch translation of the novel. The dvd calls it "Redwall".
    2. Yes, it claims to be Mattimeo, but it has Matthias and Cluny on the front!
    3. On the back, there is a description of the storyline of... Mattimeo! (Slagar kidnapping the dibbuns and all.)

With a vague sense of dread, I started playing the dvd. So what's on it? Why, a Dutch dub of Redwall: The Movie, and not Mattimeo!

It gets worse. This dub was done by people who have never ever read the translation of the book. Within a few minutes, we have:

Matthias
    Dutch book: Matthijs
    Dutch tv series: Maurits

Cluny the Scourge
    Dutch book: Cluny de Gesel
    Dutch tv series: Danny de Steek (Litterally "Danny the Sting")

Mossflower woods
    Dutch book: Het Moswoud
    Dutch tv series: Mosbloemenland

I couldn't take it any longer and stopped watching.
    I don't think many Dutch kids will watch this and I think that those will mostly not have read the books, but this annoyed the hell out of me!

So there you have it. Well, at least my little brother and sister can watch it. They have read the books, however, so I imagine there'll be some odd looks from them as well.
    Last edited by Qlberts; September 20th, 2007 at 09:55 AM. Reason: clarification
    This is my signature.
    It is not yours,
    But mine.

Man...that's just sad..."Een verhaal van een moedige vader en zijn zoon"? Sounds like Mattimeo sure enough,and those names, Danny de Steek, Mosbloemenland, sounds more like a kind of wood where they base fairy-like stories around. A pity they screwed it up.
    For wisdom is a defence, and money is a defence: but the excellency of knowledge is, that wisdom giveth life to them that have it.

Ecclesiastes 7:12

Heh, I actually didn't hear Cluny's name right... it was "Lenny de Zweep" in fact ("Lenny the Whip"). Still pretty stupid. I watched the whole thing last night and the horror just never ends. Basil Stag Hare is "Berend Stouthaas"? What the heck? What's wrong with Basil Hert Haas?

Surprisingly, Warbeak is called "Vechtbek" in both the Dutch book and Dutch movie. Since this is not a direct translation (that would be "Oorlogssnavel"), I had expected the book and movie to differ there, but they didn't. Stupidly, though, the Sparra are referred to as spreeuwen. For those who are not of Dutch origin, the Dutch word for sparrow is in fact mus and not spreeuw, which is an entirely different kind of bird!

Log-a-log is called Hakkeblok in the movie, in the book, he's called Osseblok. Well, Log-a-log is kinda hard to translate anyway.

A final note concerns the tapestry riddle. "I - am that is" is in fact really hard to translate. in the Dutch book it is "Ik ben degene van wie - hij stamt" (literally: "I am the one from whom - he descends") which in fact implies that Martin is Matthias' ancestor.

Martin the Warrior spoiler
    Spoiler!

In the movie, it's "Ik - Tarmuis" (literally "I - Tarmouse", no, I don't know what a Tarmouse is either. It's probably supposed to be a noble name or something).
    This is my signature.
    It is not yours,
    But mine.

I seem to recall from a French-speaking friend that the French version of Redwall has the names Matthias and Martin (or maybe Matthias and Mattimeo) switched. And I'm somewhat familiar with the idea that names could be changed in different languages, maybe for easier pronunciation or to make it more native to the language (didn't stop the game Okami, which kept the Japanese origin of most names, meaning for a week I struggled to remember the names Hayabusa and Amaterasu).

But I never think about such things much, and expect that when an English book is brought over to another language, the names resemble their English counterparts (or at least are phonetic so you pronounce them similarly). "Oorlogssnavel" looks a little long for a name to me.

I've also heard from a Portuguese friend that the Portuguese version of the "Watership Down" TV show was badly translated. Which didn't stop me from enjoying the hilarious unique voice that El-ahrairah had in Portuguese, which oddly reminded me of Roger Rabbit.

Sometimes I also wonder: I had a hard time getting used to movies where actors are speaking in Japanese but they're dubbed to English, meaning their lip movements don't match the words. If it's similar with movies being translated to other languages, has the lack of lip-synch become a bother, or have you become used to it?
    Well, ignoring the odd phenomenon that when it comes to songs, syllables seem to be spread out to roughly match English counterparts (or at least are put into a rhythm close to the original). I think it adds a lot when characters open and close their mouths at the same time when words are spoken, regardless of language.
    Last edited by Folgrimeo; September 23rd, 2007 at 12:50 PM.
    Faux Pas - It's wild and domesticated reading!

Quote Originally Posted by Qlberts View Post

Log-a-log is called Hakkeblok in the movie, in the book, he's called Osseblok. Well, Log-a-log is kinda hard to translate anyway.
    Haha...when I first read the books in Dutch, I found the name Osseblok a bit weird, but eventually got used to it. But Hakkeblok...hahaha!It's hilarious! Makes me think of this kind of woodcutter-guy(Sounds like Hak-een-blok) or something like that. I usually get pretty annoyed with those kind of translations(for example, when they translated Eulalia, they changed it into Euladia, ruins the history if you ask me)but these are just so absurd that they turn into funny
    For wisdom is a defence, and money is a defence: but the excellency of knowledge is, that wisdom giveth life to them that have it.

Ecclesiastes 7:12

Quote Originally Posted by Folgrimeo View Post
    But I never think about such things much, and expect that when an English book is brought over to another language, the names resemble their English counterparts (or at least are phonetic so you pronounce them similarly). "Oorlogssnavel" looks a little long for a name to me.
    In fact, they are mostly written the same as in English, so they are pronounced differently by Dutch readers (well, when they're made up anyway; ral names are of course pronounced like they should). In fact, writing down the English names phonetically would look really weird in Dutch.

By the way, I have always thought that "Vechtbek" ("Vecht" is the Dutch version of the verb "fight". For bek, I know no exact English counterpart. A bek is to a mouth as a paw is to a hand. Hope that helps...) suits Warbeak far better than, well, Warbeak. I guess she has always seemed more agressive and impulsive than really warlike to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Folgrimeo View Post
    Sometimes I also wonder: I had a hard time getting used to movies where actors are speaking in Japanese but they're dubbed to English, meaning their lip movements don't match the words. If it's similar with movies being translated to other languages, has the lack of lip-synch become a bother, or have you become used to it?
    Well, ignoring the odd phenomenon that when it comes to songs, syllables seem to be spread out to roughly match English counterparts (or at least are put into a rhythm close to the original). I think it adds a lot when characters open and close their mouths at the same time when words are spoken, regardless of language.
    Well, the Dutch only dub movies for children - those for adults are never dubbed. There just is no dub available. The only way to watch a foreign movie in the Nerherlands is with subtitles, for which I am grateful, because indeed, the lip movements in dubbed movies always are a really big distraction to me.
    Plus, when you dub, you are completely destroying an actor's performance. You are no longer watching actor X perform, you are watching that actor opening and shutting his mouth while some other guy speaks the text. I consider it to be a form of artistic rape (although in movies for children I consider it to be excusable, because younger children can't read yet).
    In cartoons, the discrepancy between the lip movements and the spoken text is far less noticable.

Whew, that was a really long post. If you took the time to read it, I appreciate that.
    Last edited by Qlberts; September 25th, 2007 at 07:26 AM. Reason: spelling correction
    This is my signature.
    It is not yours,
    But mine.