Thread: Private Messaging on the Forum (and something vaguely about a redwall journal review)

Patroller

Exclamation Private Messaging on the Forum (and something vaguely about a redwall journal review)

I found a review for the redwall journal online and I figured instead of submitting it to the newsline through e-mail I saw Martin the Warrior was online on the forum so I tried to use private messaging to send it to you (martin the warrior) but it says private messaging is disabled. Is that just for me? Why? Is it for everybody else?

I guess I'll just send it through e-mail then.
    Member of Slagar The Cruel's Ice Hockey Horde of Doom!
    Put this in your sig to join if you're a fan of the now dead STCP/PSLAGAR.

"He's riding a cat, to find an owl, so he can look for a snake. What kind of place does this Warrior Mouse come from?"
    -Logalog

Patroller: Emeritus Lyrian Aryns's Avatar
    The PM system was disabled in order to save bandwidth. After all, e-mail works just as well.
    "She doesn't talk much, does she?"
    "No, she's always quiet. We think maybe there's something wrong with her."
    "Yes... or something very right. The quiet ones are the ones that change the universe, Luc Deradi. The loud ones only take the credit."
    -Babylon 5

President of The Long Patrol Martin the Warrior's Avatar
    As Lyrian said, I've disable Private Messaging forum-wide to save bandwidth. I may decide to enable it at a future date, but for now we'll work with e-mail.

Thanks for the heads-up about the review, Chesk!
    ~Martin the Warrior~
    -President of The Long Patrol

"A poet is a musician who can't sing. Words have to find a man's mind before they can touch his heart, and some men's minds are woeful small targets. Music touches their hearts directly no matter how small or stubborn the mind of the man who listens."
    ~The Name of the Wind, Patrick Rothfuss

Patroller

Yeah, well, I know some people were wondering whether this was an actual book with blank pages you write in and this review says it is.

I've e-mailed it in now.

Patroller

??

So are you going to post it or not?

"He's riding a cat, to find an owl, so he can look for a snake. What kind of place does this Warrior Mouse come from?"
    -Logalog

Patroller
    Have a little patience, Chesk. For one thing, it's only been three days. In addition, I don't think anyone has the right to demand that a webmaster updates, especially when they have put so much effort into a site anyway. It's nice that you've made the effort to send this in but no-one has the right to make such demands. No offence.

Patroller
    I wasn't demanding anything. I was just wondering if they were gonna put it up or not because it doesn't seem like it would take that long to just post up a review. Just a little impatient, wasn't trying to be rude or anything.

-Logalog

Patroller
    I wasn't demanding anything.
    I'm sorry if I misinterpreted (sp?) your meaning here but
    So are you going to post it or not?
    gave me the impression that you were.
    I was just wondering if they were gonna put it up or not because it doesn't seem like it would take that long to just post up a review.
    Well, I think Martin's quite a busy guy. I for one would love to see this, so why don't you, in the mean time, just post a link or even the actual text?
    Just a little impatient, wasn't trying to be rude or anything.
    I'm sure you weren't. It's just that you came across as that, both here and over at Terrouge (if it's the same Chesk Otter). In the ROC where we don't have the benefit of seeing eachothers facial expressions or body language or of hearing the tone in which things are said it is important to think about how ones word alone appear to the person reading. I know your intentions were good in both cases but you just came across as more than a bit ungrateful.
    But don't worry about it. No-one holds these kind of things against others.

Chesk, I've just sent an e-mail explaining the main reason it's not up yet. I should be able to post it once you get back to me.

In addition-- as I've said here, as I've said on the site, and as I've said in the Terrouge Crier-- tomorrow (Friday) is The Long Patrol's Seventh Anniversary. Membership opens, a new feature-filled members only page debuts, we're in the midst of membership renewals, etc. That translates into a lot of work. As it has a rock-solid, cannot be changed deadline, it gets the lion's share of my attention. Come this weekend things should settle back down, but right now all my time is spent on getting things ready. Which is what I should be doing right now, truth be told, so I'll leave it at that.
    ~Martin the Warrior~

"A poet is a musician who can't sing. Words have to find a man's mind before they can touch his heart, and some men's minds are woeful small targets. Music touches their hearts directly no matter how small or stubborn the mind of the man who listens."

Patroller
    "So are you going to post it or not?"

I didn't demand anything there, it was just a simple question.

It was just impatience all right!?

Yes, this is the same Chesk Otter as over at Terrouge. Tell me if there's anyone imitating me and I'll rip their necks off.

It's e-mailed in now. Anyway, the review is:

"For years, Brian Jacques' words have been winning children everywhere. Now the legendary creator of the Redwall epic turns the tables, inviting his readers to become writers with a journal of their very own. Echoing the times of Redwall, this special book features a velvety cover, a die cut window, and spot art throughout. And with a quote from Brian himself, young writers will be inspired to fill the pages. A must for every Redwall enthusiast, and for writers of all ages."

So that's it.

Say, just because you join the long patrol club does that necessarily mean you get in?

-Logalog

Chesk
    Say, just because you join the long patrol club does that necessarily mean you get in?
    The only reasons one wouldn't are:

1) All three nickname choices were taken (and on the list).
    2) Their e-mail address was invalid and their letter was bounced back to me.
    3) They're someone whose membership was terminated in the past.
    4) They didn't check any of the books on the "What have you read?" section.

Unless one of those applies to you, you've got nothing to worry about.

As an aside-- re: the review, I'll be posting it on the Newsline tomorrow. Thanks again, Chesk.
    ~Martin the Warrior~