Thread: The "I Hate Burton" Thread!

Thumbs up The "I Hate Burton" Thread!

I'm just curious if people dislike Tim Burton as much as I do. I liked him when he first started, releasing movies like Nightmare Befroe Christmas and Edward Scissorhand, but I've grown tired of the grey scale, Johnny Depp, father issues, exageration, and redoing already existing plots. For a man who's heralded as a genius, he doesn't seem to do anything inuitive or original. Frankly, the man is overrated to the extreme, and I wishe he would just go away to whatever strangely out-of-place house he resides in.
    Enter the Castle of Professor Falliss. Who knows: you might make it out alive.

http://z13.invisionfree.com/Midnight...wer/index.php?

Was definitely disappointed with Corpse Bride. It was essentially Nightmare Before Christmas with minor plot changes. Absolutely hate the old live-action Batman films (including the one he didn't work on, but that's neither here nor there). Mars Attacks! was...weird in a bad way. I actually thought Planet of the Apes was decent, if not great. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is an abomination before the eyes of gods and men. As for the rest of his work...well, I'll always be a big fan of Beetle Juice.

I'll just go down the list with his films I'm familiar with.

Director Filmography:

Pee-wee's Big Adventure: Hilarious
    Beetlejuice: Excellent, long overdue for a sequel
    Batman: Classic
    Edward Scissorhands: Good, but a bit overrated
    Batman Returns: Again, classic
    Mars Attacks!: Cult hilarity
    Planet of the Apes: Not too bad
    Big Fish: The magnum opus
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: Terrible, awful, blasphemy
    Corpse Bride: Didn't like it
    Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street: Good, but has had the same players as the previous 3 films so it's a bit tired.

Producer filmography of films not yet mentioned:
    The Nightmare Before Christmas: Classic
    Batman Forever: Honestly I liked this Batman too.
    James and the Giant Peach: I liked it at the time, haven't seen it since it came out.

Do I hate him? Certainly not. But as I said, I do feel his work has stagnated over the past 5 years because of the strict usage of the same players, and I feel his interpretation of Charlie was horrible.
    -Lord Trawnbull Thickstripe(TBT)

The Redwall Wiki - Redwall information & news

Patroller: General Ferahgo the Assassin's Avatar
    Yeah, I guess I agree that he's sort of stagnated, though I have been wanting to see Sweeney Todd and haven't gotten around to it. But Edward Scissorhands, Nightmare Before Christmas and Big Fish are among my favorite films, so I definitely wouldn't say that I hate or even dislike him. He definitely has a unique and fascinating style, even if at this point it's a bit overdone.
    "Luck, good or bad, is not the hand of God. Luck is the way the wind swirls and dust settles eons after God has passed by." - Winston Niles Rumsfoord, The Sirens of Titan

On the thin line between genius and insanity
    I didn't know Burton did Big Fish! That movie was wierd in a cool way. I didn't much like The Nightmare Before Christmas, as it didn't fit under one holiday.
    ....and stuff.

I liked Corpse Bride, just for the portrayal of the world - the OTT character designs, the bleak and stifling Victorian buildings, the British accents, and the use of colour; though I thought the pacing of the story was a bit dull in places.

But I don't particularly like many of his other recent films; they seem to be lacking substance. Perhaps he should take a few years off.

Well, I'm a fan of the old Batman movies. (except Batman and Robin, which was awful).

And Charlie and the Chocolate Factory needs to be burned/mangled. Good Gravy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferahgo the Assassin View Post
    Ice cream makes everything better. Even Big Brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen King
    Both Rowling and Meyer, they’re speaking directly to young people. The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can’t write worth a darn. She’s not very good.

Uh-

Looks like I'm the only one who liked Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

I thought it was kinda boring at parts and the Oompa Lumpa (Spelling?) 's were weird and annoying, but Johnny Depp had some great lines, and the overall movie was good....That's probably my "bad" taste of movies...

A world were Wolves and horses live in peace
    Quote Originally Posted by Barkstripe View Post
    Uh-

Looks like I'm the only one who liked Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

I thought it was kinda boring at parts and the Oompa Lumpa (Spelling?) 's were weird and annoying, but Johnny Depp had some great lines, and the overall movie was good....That's probably my "bad" taste of movies...
    I like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I too do not not how to spell the Oompa lumpa guys but I liked them probaly be cause my cousin is a dwarf.
    "plucky!" "Hello Dashie, I've missed you." "Yeah I've missed you too."

Animals of farthing wood the tv series.

Batman Returns is what actually fuels my Burton hate the most. It was the absolute height of his arrogance: he decided he didn't need to make the movie to appease the actual Batman fans, and decided that warping Gotham to suit his own personal "art" would be better. As such, none of the characters are in character, and the entire movie was an utter joke, resembling Batman in name only. So, while his silly cult following would enjoy it, the actual Bat fans and the comic they loved were neglected.
    Enter the Castle of Professor Falliss. Who knows: you might make it out alive.

http://z13.invisionfree.com/Midnight...wer/index.php?

Actually, Barkstripe, I liked it too. I liked it much better than the first one. It was very strange, but what do you expect? It's Roald Dahl for crying out loud!

I'm not a fan of Tim Burton in general, though. In fact, Charlie is one of the few that I have any liking for at all.
    "Language? If your mother could hear you!" ~Basil Stag Hare, Redwall Season One

~"For it is not for glory, nor honour, nor riches that we fight, but for freedom only, which no good man surrenders, but with his life!" -Robert de Bruce

"Life is a battle you only win when you die." -J. William English

"I don't write for a living. I write for a life." -J. William English

i liked the original Charlie and the Chocolate factroy... though i do like the remake.

i like Tim Burton... a little...
    Click Here!

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
    -Martin Luther King Jr.

6006L3 534RC|-|

(>'_')> <<<<< Its Kirby!